[Fixed] Bitdefender Total Security 2017 Firewall Adapters Missing

124»

Comments

• Sorin!

Update just downloaded on its own and am prompted for a reboot. Fingers crossed. Will breathlessly report back (sorry about the tongue and check response but as you and everyone else knows this has been a trial)

Will report back after testing update....

Confirmed! At least on my Laptop the wifi adapter appears in the BD Firewall module after 3 consecutive boot_s, two with the Ethernet connection physically disconnected. Looks good!

Thanks Sorin.

• Brent2056
    edited March 2017

Well, the wifi and vpn adapters are showing now, but my network resources are still blocked. But if I turn off the firewall, the network resources work fine, and then if I then turn the firewall back on, the network resources continue to work. If I then disconnect my vpn and reconnect the network resources are no longer working until I turn off the firewall, access the resource, and then turn the firewall back on.

Note that this was not the behavior with version 21.0.23.1101.

• Jakob
    edited March 2017

Give it a little time - But dont get your hopes up

Short version:

After two updates and several restarts the network adapters and the settings are persistent (ignis.sys v 1.1.0.719).

However i still have two errors (maybee connected) , four questions and a suggestion (actually more, but lets start with these)

Errors:

1. If i try to change the settings on the teredo adapter (Seems to be my VPN, i use Cisco AnyConnect V 4.3.0.5017) i get a communication error (German-GUI: Firewall-Fehler Kommunikation mit dem Bitdefender Sicherheitsdienst fehlgeschlagen!)

2. I still cant connect to my network drive if i set the VPN adapter settings to home (The GUI shows the correct settings, but maybee they are not set, see ERROR 1)

Questions:

1. Why is my VPN named Teredo and not Cisco?

2. What does the generic flag (German-GUI: Generisch) actually do? Does this actually mean Bitdefender does not know to which WLAN i am connected?

3. Do you consider this issue solved? Will you try to solve the above mentioned errors and questions here, under my existing ticket (2017030912120006) or should i create a new one?

4. Why would you release an update with the same build number? 

Suggestion:

This issue already cost a lot of time from a lot of people (including you). Handling this problem in the open might have been better for all of us. For example a post on the Bitdefender 2017 product site or FAQ with detailed description of the problem and reassurance that you are working on it as fast as you can (and the windows firewall temporary fix). Also i am sure you needed some reports to fix the problem, one might feel that you were stalling with the whole back and forth communication and upgrade this and that, when you already knew you had the problem. 

Long version:

I am waiting to see this issue fixed - so i tried the update immediately.

Bitdefender asked me to restart - I did the reboot - Gave Bitdefender a couple of minutes (10 min) - Checked the firewall settings - No adapters 

Manually told Bitdefender to search for updates - Bitdefender told me it was up to date - Did a shutdown of the machine anyways - Switched back on - Gave Bitdefender a couple of minutes (10 min) - Checked the firewall settings - No adapters 

While writing this comment, Bitdefender asked me to restart again - I did - Gave Bitdefender a couple of minutes (10 min) - Checked the firewall settings - Hey my WIFI is showing up  

So i went on to check my initial problem - Connecting a network drive via VPN (3rd post in this thread) - My VPN didnt show up - I connected the VPN - Hey my VPN is showing up (Also its named Teredo and not Cisco) - It is configured as public, so lets set it to home - I get a Firewall Error (Communucation with Bitdefender Security Service connection error (My GUI is German, so something like that)) - But hey i can connect my network drive YAY!  

So lets see if the settings persist - Another reboot - Wifi connected, VPN connected - Cant connect to network drive - Open Firewall Settings - WLAN set to public, strange! I set it to home - Teredo set to home, so why cant i connect to my network drive - Setting Teredo to Trusted, Stealth Off, Generic on - No network drive - Setting WLAN to Home, Stealth off, Generic on

Another reboot - Wifi connected, VPN connected - Check Bitdefender options, Hey they are the same! (I think its the generic option) - Network drive? Not working! (without firewall yes) and from my point of view it should with the firewall on. - Change settings on Teredo? Still getting a communication error!

And why would you release an update with the same build number? You dont have to be a fortune teller, to see that it will cause problems and confusion, like it already did.

Setup:

Windows 7 SP 1 (all updates from Microsoft)

Bitdefender Internet Security 2017 - Build 21.0.24.54 - ignis.sys v 1.1.0.719

Cisco AnyConnect V 4.3.0.5017

SMB Network Drive

• Seems a little premature to call this issue "fixed".

I just came here to read, and my last post does not appear above, but it's still here in the reply box. That's odd. It was the first post after Sorin G notified us of the "fix".

I think I'll wait and see if this thread dies first. I don't want my internet to connect to the account of someone I've never heard of so I could see her dongle number, bills and other details, nor for DB to cause my PC to take more than 3 minutes to boot up and block it from shutting down, nor do I want it to become Unregistered from the firewall again.

Cheers!

• My post doubting the sanity of fixing the problem and not incrementing the version number got deleted too...

• No problem for me, never!

Snap2.png

Windows 11 Pro - 11th Gen Intel Core i9-11900KF @3,50 GHz, 128.0 GB RAM

• 5 hours ago, Sorin G. said:

Hello,

By time I was referring to minutes, 15-30 minutes.

You can verify if the update was applied by the prompt received to restart and by checking the version of the ignis.sys file, it should be v.1.1.0.719  after the update.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Firewall

I was never prompted to reboot, and I still have the issue. What do I do now? I have attempted to Update. Then I did a Repair and and Update. I was never prompted to reboot and my adapters do not display. Please advise!

• Jakob
    edited March 2017

4 hours ago, Jakob said:

Give it a little time - But dont get your hopes up

Well, give it more time - And a couple of restarts maybee! (After all i ran only two updates, five reboots and waited about an hour.)

After some more runtime, some reboots with some errors on desktop startup, it (kinda) works.

4 hours ago, Jakob said:

Errors:

1. If i try to change the settings on the teredo adapter (Seems to be my VPN, i use Cisco AnyConnect V 4.3.0.5017) i get a communication error (German-GUI: Firewall-Fehler Kommunikation mit dem Bitdefender Sicherheitsdienst fehlgeschlagen!)

4 hours ago, Jakob said:

Questions:

1. Why is my VPN named Teredo and not Cisco?

With more time, it is now called LAN 2.

4 hours ago, Jakob said:

Errors:

2. I still cant connect to my network drive if i set the VPN adapter settings to home (The GUI shows the correct settings, but maybee they are not set, see ERROR 1)

Since it is now called LAN 2, i actually can change the settings on the adapters. 

4 hours ago, Jakob said:

2. What does the generic flag (German-GUI: Generisch) actually do? Does this actually mean Bitdefender does not know to which WLAN i am connected?

I actually found the answer in another thread:

/index.php?/topic/75444-firewall-settings/&do=embed">

Sorin G.: "Generic is the option that allows the product to remember the above settings on this adapter, otherwise on the next reboot it will take the Network type chosen by the user when he first connected on that network (Windows Network prompt)"

For my wireless adapter this works, for my VPN (called LAN 2) it does not work! (see pictures of Windows Network Settings and the Bitdefender Firewall Settings Generic Off) 

Since i can change the settings on the adapter, lets give it a try. So first Generic to On so the changes will be persistent. And Networktype to Home. (see pictures of Bitdefender Firewall Settings Generic On) - Connecting to my SMB Network Drive ... not working! In my opinion, setting the network type to a trusted network should already do the trick.

But i can alter the settings further. So a network excpetion for my NAS. We need an IP Adress, i got it from a working setup (other security suite). How you can get yours? - Router Settings or Take down the Firewall until you figure it out (ping). Be aware this is only a workaround, the ip might not permanent. If you have control over the router / dhcp settings you can make the ip permanent. My network drives are not managed by me, so the server might change its ip. - Connecting to my SMB Network Drive ... working! (see pictures of Bitdefender network exceptions)

I have found a workaround,  but still two errors.

Errors:

1. My VPN is called LAN 2 in Bitdefender (I can live with that), but it does not use the settings from the windows network (generic off). While testing i didnt change networks, but even if i do, i think the VPN will remain LAN 2, so maybee its not a big issue.

2. When i set the network type to trusted or home for the VPN adapter, i should be able to connect to SMB network drives (and other network resources). Setting an exception for a dedicated ip is only a workaround.

4 hours ago, Jakob said:

3. Do you consider this issue solved? Will you try to solve the above mentioned errors and questions here, under my existing ticket (2017030912120006) or should i create a new one?

4. Why would you release an update with the same build number? 

Suggestion:

This issue already cost a lot of time from a lot of people (including you). Handling this problem in the open might have been better for all of us. For example a post on the Bitdefender 2017 product site or FAQ with detailed description of the problem and reassurance that you are working on it as fast as you can (and the windows firewall temporary fix). Also i am sure you needed some reports to fix the problem, one might feel that you were stalling with the whole back and forth communication and upgrade this and that, when you already knew you had the problem. 

Another suggestion:

If you solved an issue and have a update - tell the people how to test the solution. No matter how simple you think it is. If you tell me there is an update that fixes the solution, i expect that i update (i got the restart request) and it works. If Bitdefender needs an hour working in the background of my computer (and two updates and a couple of reboots) then tell me before i waste my time (even more of it).  

4 hours ago, Jakob said:

Setup:

Windows 7 SP 1 (all updates from Microsoft)

Bitdefender Internet Security 2017 - Build 21.0.24.54 - ignis.sys v 1.1.0.719

Cisco AnyConnect V 4.3.0.5017

SMB Network Drive

2Post-Win_Network_Settings.png

2Post-Bitdefender_Generic_Off.png

2Post-Bitdefender_Generic_On.png

2Post-Bitdefender_Network_Excpetion.png

• 9 hours ago, ECourts said:

My post doubting the sanity of fixing the problem and not incrementing the version number got deleted too...

I don't understand. Why would feedback from customers be deliberately removed?

Maybe, if they incremented the version number, then REPAIR would put us back to the last broken build, instead of the last good build? But if that were the case why not just tell us that?

Windows is still showing 21.0.22.1050, but ABOUT on the BD icon says 

Build       21.1.24.54

Engine    7.70287

I still have Autopilot OFF and have been updating virus signatures only.

I shut down with no problem last night. But I just booted up and it took over 3 minutes again.

BD unregistered from Windows Firewall when I shut down last night, without updating, and Event Viewer shows 

Audit Success       20/03/2017 22:53:20         Microsoft Windows security auditing.         6407       Other System Events

Bitdefender Firewall unregistered from Windows Firewall. Windows Firewall is now controlling the filtering for BootTimeRuleCategory, StealthRuleCategory, FirewallRuleCategory.

Audit Success       20/03/2017 22:53:25         Eventlog               1100       Service shutdown

And now, on booting up and restarting several times, DB has failed to register with the Firewall again and is screaming in RED that I am unprotected.

And this has absolutely NOTHING to do with The Base Filtering Engine (BFE), as this has NEVER not been working throughout this whole experience.

THIS ISSUE IS MOST CERTAINLY NOT "FIXED" AND WE NEED A RESPONSE FORM TECHNICAL SUPPORT ABOUT WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT.

Many Thanks

• I received an update a few hours ago and it prompted for a restart......... I can confirm for now that my Wifi is in the adapter list and i am now able to print as per normal to both my printers.

Have not restarted the computer since and will put a message up if there is any further issues, but for the moment it's a fix for me on at least one of my computers.

I will try the others tonight when i get back home. :)

• 2 hours ago, Utterly Disillusioned said:

And now, on booting up and restarting several times, DB has failed to register with the Firewall again and is screaming in RED that I am unprotected.

And this has absolutely NOTHING to do with The Base Filtering Engine (BFE), as this has NEVER not been working throughout this whole experience.

THIS ISSUE IS MOST CERTAINLY NOT "FIXED" AND WE NEED A RESPONSE FORM TECHNICAL SUPPORT ABOUT WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT.

Many Thanks

OK, I tried a few more Restarts as I did not want to risk shutting down and having it permanently hang again.

FINALLY, after a few more restarts, DB registered with Windows Firewall and seems to be working properly again!

YAY! :D

And I NEVER got a RESTART prompt at any time. I still have Autopilot OFF and Prompt Before Downloading.

It really is incredibly stressful and distressing to have what appeared to be one of the best antivirus packages available since 2012 suddenly go haywire and screw up like this for about 2 weeks.

But one thing no one has said, it seems that a New Rule is that you must NEVER shut down after going on-line with BD.

Always restart 4 or 5 times first, otherwise it might not register with Windows Firewall next time you boot up.

:unsure:

• Works for me for now as well, thank you!

• Worked as well for me. Now the adapters are showing in my 3 laptops. Thank you for your fast job BD team.

• Hello,

/index.php?/profile/208114-brent2056/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="208114" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/208114-brent2056/" id="ips_uid_1319_11" style="" rel="">@Brent2056 Please check if the Adapters are set to Home/Office and any VPN/Virtualized to Trusted and do a Rules Reset see if that changes anything. Alternatively please contact our support team via bitsy@bitdefender.com to investigate, with the logs from the Bitdefender Support Tool attached.

/index.php?/profile/208344-kathyd/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="208344" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/208344-kathyd/" id="ips_uid_1319_10" style="" rel="">@KathyD Try to reboot the machine and run the update again. Enough time has passed and the update should have already been deployed on your machine.

/index.php?/profile/208104-jakob/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="208104" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/208104-jakob/" id="ips_uid_1319_6" style="" rel="">@Jakob Teredo/VPNs/Virtualized Adapters always need to be set as Trusted in the firewall.  I am confident if you explain the situation in the already opened ticket the tech handling your case will be more than happy to assist.

/index.php?/profile/200365-utterly-disillusioned/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="200365" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/200365-utterly-disillusioned/" id="ips_uid_1319_5" style="" rel="">@Utterly Disillusioned The reason your "feedback" has been removed is that it has nothing to do with the situation depicted in this thread, I strongly advise contacting our support team via bitsy@bitdefender.com with all the issues you have encountered to date and also provide them with the logs from the Bitdefender Support Tool.

https://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-to-generate-a-support-log--1168.html

• 1 hour ago, Sorin G. said:

Hello,

/index.php?/profile/208114-brent2056/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="208114" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/208114-brent2056/" rel="">@Brent2056 Please check if the Adapters are set to Home/Office and any VPN/Virtualized to Trusted and do a Rules Reset see if that changes anything. Alternatively please contact our support team via bitsy@bitdefender.com to investigate, with the logs from the Bitdefender Support Tool attached.

/index.php?/profile/208344-kathyd/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="208344" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/208344-kathyd/" rel="">@KathyD Try to reboot the machine and run the update again. Enough time has passed and the update should have already been deployed on your machine.

/index.php?/profile/208104-jakob/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="208104" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/208104-jakob/" rel="">@Jakob Teredo/VPNs/Virtualized Adapters always need to be set as Trusted in the firewall.  I am confident if you explain the situation in the already opened ticket the tech handling your case will be more than happy to assist.

/index.php?/profile/200365-utterly-disillusioned/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="200365" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/200365-utterly-disillusioned/" rel="">@Utterly Disillusioned The reason your "feedback" has been removed is that it has nothing to do with the situation depicted in this thread, I strongly advise contacting our support team via bitsy@bitdefender.com with all the issues you have encountered to date and also provide them with the logs from the Bitdefender Support Tool.

https://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-to-generate-a-support-log--1168.html

Thank you, Sorin.  Yes, after an update, several reboots, a reinstall and update, and several more reboots, it looks like things are working for me as well. What a relief.  It seems odd to me that things don't immediately work after the update is installed.  That's what confused me.  Apparently you have to install the update, wait, then reboot a few times.  Please note that I was never prompted to reboot after any of the updates I did.

• On 20.3.2017 at 0:36 PM, Utterly Disillusioned said:

On 20.3.2017 at 0:36 PM, Utterly Disillusioned said:

I always thought DB replaced Windows Firewall, not just "managed" it?

Hello Sorin,

the question above is interesting. What does the Bitdefender Firewall? Replacing Windows Firewall or managing Windows Firewall?

• After it was working, I shut down and later on booted up and the problem was back. So I restarted a few times and it fixed itself again and registered with Windows Firewall. It seems very buggy if it can fail to register the Firewall at random like this.

• My VPN is working now without turning firewall off, accessing network drive, and then turning firewall back on. I did not change anything, but I did connect to the network drive while on my home network (not thru VPN), and after doing that, perhaps BD has learned, and allows me to access the network drive from the VPN now. I have the VPN network type set to Home/Office and when I am using the VPN, my wireless adapter network type is set to Public. When I am at home, my wireless adapter network type is set to Home/Office. The change in network type is made automatically by BD, because I do not have Generic turned on. This is how it should work!

• In my case it is fixed. Adapters are here, VPN is connected, shared drives are visible and printers are printing.

Thanks!

• Werderforever
    edited March 2017

On 21.3.2017 at 0:57 PM, Werderforever said:

Hello Sorin,

the question above is interesting. What does the Bitdefender Firewall? Replacing Windows Firewall or managing Windows Firewall?

Hello Sorin,

please can you give me some information to my question from 21.03.2017?

Many thanks, Thomas

• Hello,

/index.php?/profile/205114-werderforever/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="205114" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/205114-werderforever/" style="" rel="">@Werderforever the Windows Firewall gets shutdown by the Windows Security Center automatically.

Bitdefender does not interact with it directly. The second the Security Center detects a 3rd party firewall it will disable the Windows one and show a message that the firewall is managed by the 3rd party one, it refers to the firewall as a service/protection not as the Windows Firewall.

• Hello Sorin,

many thanks for your explanation!:) Very interesting!

• SebastianDI
    edited March 2017

@Werder

I have sympathy for Werder Bremen. Lets hope that my fav club BVB Dortmund and Werder can kick Bayerns XXX in the next season.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.