Very High Disk Usage During Update

I think the title says it all, I am running the Bitdefender Total Security 2017 (build: 21.0.24.54) on Windows 10 64 bit with 3GB RAM. I observed that whenever I manually updated BD, my PC would become unresponsive and when I see the disk usage, it would show around 100%. Earlier, BD was on Auto Pilot and whenever I restarted my PC, this would happen. Later, I turned auto pilot off and also changed the setting for "Update Automatically" to "Never". I manually update once every 2 or 3 days now but still see this issue every single time during an update.

I have also read other users facing this issue and BD has does nothing so far to fix this. I am beginning to wonder if it is collecting all the information (files, folders, etc) and passing it on to the BD labs without user's consent as a user reported in another thread that during an update, he observed multiple files being opened by BD. BD is definitely upto something suspicious during an update as just getting an update definition file from a URL would certainly not take this much disk space. A clear and precise explanation from a technical BD agent is needed here as to what's cooking up during an update and why is the disk usage so high.

Comments

• Just to add to my last post, I took a screenshot of the disk usage during an update today. Can others confirm if they face this issue as well?

Log.png

• I see the same high usage during updates.  It looks like bitdefender scans the system as it is performing the update.

• Are these forums being monitored by BD technical staff? Can we get a response on this issue?

• Hello,

The product scans the downloaded files and also verifies their integrity before deploying the update on the machine.

Please let me know what HDD and processor do you have on that machine ? Do you have any other security solutions or monitoring software?

• On 3/30/2017 at 8:43 PM, Sorin G. said:

Hello,

The product scans the downloaded files and also verifies their integrity before deploying the update on the machine.

Please let me know what HDD and processor do you have on that machine ? Do you have any other security solutions or monitoring software?

HDD: Seagate Pipeline HD ST3250312CS 250GB 5900 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

Link: http://www.goharddrive.com/Seagate-ST3250312CS-250GB-5900RPM-SATA3-Hard-Drive-p/g01-0601.htm

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E4600

Link: http://ark.intel.com/products/32242/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E4600-2M-Cache-2_40-GHz-800-MHz-FSB

Not sure why should the disk usage spike during update. All other software runs without any problem.

Thanks!

On 3/30/2017 at 8:43 PM, Sorin G. said:

Do you have any other security solutions or monitoring software?

And no, I don't have any other security solutions/monitoring software.

• On 3/30/2017 at 11:13 PM, Sorin G. said:

Hello,

Are you looking into this? Can you pass this to the technical team to fix the issue?

• Alternator
    edited April 2017

On 3/30/2017 at 7:43 PM, Sorin G. said:

Hello,

• Next logical thing is that you hardware specs is little bit above minimum for windows 10 64 bit. I would recommend you to buy more RAM, or maybe switch to 32 bit version.

Also, core 2 Duo is processor that is almost a decade old so it is possible that  he is bottle necking your PC (together with low ram).

And last thing, you should try to check your HDD health with HDD Sentinel, or try running Disk error checking windows utility.

• On 4/21/2017 at 4:41 PM, Alternator said:

Next logical thing is that you hardware specs is little bit above minimum for windows 10 64 bit. I would recommend you to buy more RAM, or maybe switch to 32 bit version.

Also, core 2 Duo is processor that is almost a decade old so it is possible that  he is bottle necking your PC (together with low ram).

And last thing, you should try to check your HDD health with HDD Sentinel, or try running Disk error checking windows utility.

Well, this is not just the problem with me. A quick search on Google will show you many users facing this issue. There are many threads posted on this forum itself about this issue. Besides, I do not have any problem with any other software. I don't understand why should the disk usage spike just to download and verify the files. The developers need to fix this issue.

• Alternator
    edited April 2017

I am sorry to hear that Nzyme.

I just wanted to help you... I`m using Bitdefender Total security 2017 also, on my main PC Windows 10 Pro and I have no problems with it at all.

Main difference is that i have 16 gb of RAM, i5 Intel processor and 120 GB SSD for my system volume and other partition for my important files also on SSD + 2 Seagate 500 GB baracudas in raid 0 for multimedia games and other stuff..and on my system BD works flawy.

I hope that technical team will resolve this problem for you, but i still belive it is hardware problem in your case...

• Hello,

I was unable to reproduce the reported issue on our test beds. (HDD and SSD builds)

However looking at the HDD, its a very old generation and the product does download and verify all files while the update process is running. (read and write)

Please contact our support team at bitsy@bitdefender.com with the logs from the Bitdefender Support Tool to further investigate.

https://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-to-generate-a-support-log--1168.html

• Nzyme
    edited April 2017

A look at the user guide shows the recommended system requirements as 

● 2 GB available free hard disk space (at least 800 MB on the system drive)

● Intel CORE Duo (2 GHz) or equivalent processor

● 2 GB of memory (RAM)

My config is actually above the recommended req. BD should keep this in mind when making their products.

• I'm suffering similar problems, with my laptop's drive not responding from time to time, in the middle of a normal day. Reason for habing HD at 100%, as I can see, is intensive usage by BD Update Downloader

Mine is a MS Surface Pro, i7, 16 GB RAM, SSD 512 GB, so it clearly can't be a system's requirements issue.

• I have exactly the same problem on a pc with the following spec so if this pc cant cope then there aint no hope.

Computer:

Computer Type                                     ACPI x64-based PC

Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

DirectX                                                   DirectX 12.0

Motherboard:

CPU Type                                          QuadCore Intel Core i5-6600K, 4400 MHz (44 x 100)

Motherboard Name                        Asus Z170M-Plus  (2 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 1 M.2, 4 DDR4 DIMM, Audio, Video,     Gigabit  LAN)

Motherboard Chipset                   Intel Sunrise Point Z170, Intel Skylake-S

System Memory                             16277 MB  (DDR4 SDRAM)

BIOS Type                                         AMI (07/17/2015)

IDE Controller                                    Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

Storage Controller                                Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller

Disk Drive                                        TOSHIB  DT01ACA100 SCSI Disk Device  (931 GB)

Disk Drive                                        TOSHIBA DT01ACA100  (1 TB, 7200 RPM, SATA-III)

SMART Hard Disks Status                           OK

Partitions:

C: (NTFS)                                         931.1 GB (674.4 GB free)

D: (NTFS)                                         931.5 GB (418.7 GB free)

Total Size                                        1862.6 GB (1093.1 GB free)

• Same thing for me. And I have 6 gb of RAM with an i7-3630QM CPU....my subscription to BD ends next January but if I don't find a solution, I'll buy something else.

This is ridiculous. I get the 100% disk usage during updates and sometimes it's just the security service itself that kills my disk. Very frustrating.

• Same effect to my old XP system with Bitdefender Security For XP And Vista...

Is there any possibility to change the drive for this operation? I have a 5GB ramdisk installed which should be much faster...

• Phyrexis
    edited August 2017

I have been having this for way too long too... My specs:

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i7 5930K @ 3.50GHz    38 °C

Haswell-E/EP 22nm Technology

RAM

16,0GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1066MHz (15-15-15-36)

Motherboard

MSI X99S GAMING 9 ACK (MS-7882) (SOCKET 0)    36 °C

Graphics

G2460 (1920x1080@144Hz)

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (Gigabyte)    32 °C

Storage

465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SSD)    27 °C

931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0 (SATA)    32 °C

Optical Drives

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224FB

Audio

ZOOM UAC-2 Audio

On my SSD it's all fine, On my HDD however the usage goes up to 100% and this has been the case for more than 1.5 years of using it. It's why I switched to Kaspersky for a while but I came back to see if it was finally solved... And it ain't.

• Similar problems on my laptop: Intel Core I7-5500U CPU - 2.4GHz, 8 GB of Ram, Running Windows 10 64-bit.  Bitdefender's Web Server occasionally makes it go to 100% Disk utilization so the system slows to a crawl - it takes over 30 seconds just to get Task Manager up and running so I can see what's causing the problem.

• stinger22
    stinger22
    edited September 2017

I get a lot of " name of program (not responding)" especially early on after booting up and before the Bitdefender B comes up in the task bar and while it keeps saying Bitdender services are still loading.  Outlook, Chrome, Aquamail.  Outlook will lose most of it's graphic interface sit there then pop back in.  Typing gets stuttery and delayed.  My updates are every hour so this happens intermittently after boot up finally settles in.  It takes about 5 minutes or more for the B icon to finally show I am in auto-pilot and not still loading Bitdefender services.

Toshiba Satellite, Win 10, Bit 2018 but this also occurred 2017, everything up to date

• I have the same problem. 100% Disk usage for about 10 minutes due to Bitdefender update downloader and Ditdefender Security service and system. I have a new HP laptop with Windows 10, so you can't point the figure at me having an old computer.

I can do nothing whilst this is going on. I had to switch to a different computer to get on the internet. This is so lame. It's like bitdefender thinks it should be the primary application and users can just wait on it.

• And the Bitdefender update is still going on, 10 minutes later, with 100% disk usage. We are on the NBN. Just checked and the download speed is  37 mps, so you can't blame the lengthy download period on slow internet connection. I cannot work. I can only wait and whinge about Bitdefender.

• Hope we get an answer to this any time in the future...

• My P2P was already disabled.

• violab
    edited February 2018

A Lot of people seem to have this problem. My friend's computer always gets stuck when updating BF, he fixed the problem by moving the product to his SSD. The problem might be due to the speed of the disk, seeing as migrating the game to a SSD fixed the problem.

• I might have solved this.. I am not sure but this can almost not be a coincidence. I went ahead and disabled the 'Windows Search' service which is responsible for indexing the disk. As soon as I did the process stopped peaking disk usage.

Hope it helps others too!

• 1 hour ago, Phyrexis said:

I might have solved this.. I am not sure but this can almost not be a coincidence. I went ahead and disabled the 'Windows Search' service which is responsible for indexing the disk. As soon as I did the process stopped peaking disk usage.

Hope it helps others too!

OK but I want those files and HD indexed for other programs and apps. Why should I have to disable that for BD? 

• 43 minutes ago, stinger22 said:

OK but I want those files and HD indexed for other programs and apps. Why should I have to disable that for BD? 

That is a good question to which I don't have an answer unfortunately... It might be that certain folders being indexed causes it and maybe testing some different settings yields a result similar to fully disabling it. I don't often use the search function so for me it's not too bad to have indexing disabled but you make a fair point.

• Are you ****** kidding me? BitDefender needs to use all free space on the OS drive to update? What kind of Bullshit is this?!

Using 725 gb of a tb drive on the OS none the less. There's a ****** genious for ya.

Correct this piece of crap update method or provide a refund so I can switch to a different AV solution.

I thought scanning on startup was a pain in the ******. Ha. Not in the least. Hopefully I don't have much more time on the license. I will not be renewing this crap.

• Emma9910
    Emma9910
    edited March 2021

This is ridiculous. I get the 100% disk usage during updates and sometimes it's just the security service itself that kills my disk. Very frustrating.

• So now it is July 29th, 2021 and the issue is still not resolved. Every day when I boot up my Pentiun i7, 1TB Drive, 63GB Ram PC with 100MB Download speed, Bitdefender Internet Security starts running its update. (NOTE: If I later in the day reboot my computer, Bitdefender runs its update again, even though it is set to only check for updates every 24 hours). During this daily update, I cannot use my computer pretty much until it completes a certain amount of updating. Opening Microsoft Outlook is a waste of time because, even after it loads, there is a continued delay before the emails are shown. When I turn on my computer I want to start working without delay or interference. I don't want to start my computer, go make coffee and breakfast, and then return to eat half my meal before the update finishes. There is no setting that will let me disable automatic updates, as the maximum delay is until system restart, which makes the automatic update button a total waste of time because you cannot turn it off.

• Same here ... they never fix things. I have reported some problems a few years ago and it happens even in 2021. If you contact support through the ticket system, it takes around 2 to 3 months to respond and in my case, I had to wait 6 months. It is just horrible how you at Bitdefender handle things.

I have i7 intel and SSD and have exactly the same issues as the people described above. The first post was in 2017, people reported this in 2021 and you still did nothing to resolve it.

• Hello @MrRobs and @MichaelLV58 ,

Sorry to hear that. Both your configurations are more than capable, so there must be some other issue, probably a technical one which will require sending some logs to us. Our Support team is greatly improved, so I'm kindly asking to contact them by visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

I'm using at home a very old Quad6600 on LGA775 platform, 8x GB DDR2 and platan Seagate disks, and a VM on a Dell notebood with i5, tried to replicate what you described and all worked well.

Stay safe,

Mike

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB