I've tried everything - Bitdefender Security Service Unavailable

Drapht
edited December 2017 in Protection

Hey all,

So I'm really out of options. I didn't know whether to go to Reddit or somewhere else with the problem I'm having, but I came across this forum so decided I'd try here.

A couple of weeks ago, I renewed my Bitdefender license for another year. Having used it for one previously on 5 machines with 0 problems, it was a no brainer for me. Shortly after renewing, maybe a couple days, I've gotten the famed error with the grey icon in the taskbar. I've exhausted everything I can think of doing and I'm left at a loss with a product that doesn't work after renewing my license.

I saw the thread in this section that's 5 pages long with the same error I'm experiencing but it was seemingly resolved in 2018. It isn't. I was using 2017 before my license ran out and was offered the free update to 2018, so I took it. All was working fine before I renewed my license, then seemingly a few days later (after 2018 was working FINE), it broke. Here's what I've tried, in order:

- System Restore to before I renewed the license (in case an update or something broke it)

- Uninstall using Bitdefender uninstall tool for the 2018 product, reboot

- Re-install (no change, still broken)

- Uninstall using Bitdefender uninstall tool, and removed leftover registry keys

- Windows refresh by "re-installing" the same version of Windows 10 Pro (Build 16299.64) off a USB installer, keeping all data and programs, in case it was a Windows issue

- Malwarebytes scan before re-installing Bitdefender 2018 (in case there was something on my system preventing it from working, came back negative)

- Re-installing for a second time on a freshly installed Windows, no fix

So now I'm currently sitting here with a 2 week trial of Malwarebytes Premium for my active protection. I installed Bitdefender 2018 on a friends freshly-built PC that I did for him and he has not a single issue on the same license, version of Windows with roughly the same software-suite installed. I'm honestly totally at a loss with what to do, I'm having all the same symptoms where if I go start the service manually it starts for 10 seconds and then just stops, same thing happens when first booting the computer. I have Build 22.0.17.205 (the latest available from multiple fresh downloads of the installer from central) and have done all available update now checks and restarts. If I try to use the email on the home support page, it just sits in a circle spinning doing nothing (Firefox Quantum x64), and live chat isn't of any help either. I've attached a link to the file that the Bitdefender support tool generates for support purposes. Event viewer shows the service crashing unexpectedly with no explanation. The ONLY thing I could think of is going back to the 2017 version of the software, but as I said above in the other thread, that was having the issue too...

It would seem in the latest changelog thread the version I'm running also fixes "An issue where the Bitdefender Agent would report that the services are not responding"..

Does anyone have ANY ideas? Thank you.

Comments

• Hello,

Will need more details in order to get a better view on the situation.

I can suggest running the uninstall tool for both 2018 and 2017 you can find both here www.bitdefender.com/uninstall

Afterwards running a clean sweep with CCleaner would hurt at all. For the installation part please make sure you download the latest Agent from Central.

Should the issue persist even then please contact our support team via bitsy@bitdefender.com with the logs from the Bitdefender Support tool.

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1733/

• 2 minutes ago, Sorin G. said:

Hello,

Will need more details in order to get a better view on the situation.

I can suggest running the uninstall tool for both 2018 and 2017 you can find both here www.bitdefender.com/uninstall

Afterwards running a clean sweep with CCleaner would hurt at all. For the installation part please make sure you download the latest Agent from Central.

Should the issue persist even then please contact our support team via bitsy@bitdefender.com with the logs from the Bitdefender Support tool.

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1733/

Hey Sorin, 

I thought of using both versions of the uninstall tool and tried that along with a CCleaner run to no avail. After a reboot and re install, same problem. I should note that over in the other thread I was talking about above, there's someone still having the same problem with the version of the software that I have too. For now, I will email support with the logs and go from there. 

Thanks!