cant install latest windows security patch (intel bug fix)

i cant install January 3, 2018 - KB4056892 (OS Build 16299.192) fix for Intel bug that is announced today

it says it is not applicable on my computers (I have 2)

release notes says that Due to an issue with some versions of Anti-Virus software, this fix is only being made applicable to the machines where the Anti virus ISV has updated the ALLOW REGKEY.

and

Contact your Anti-Virus AV to confirm that their software is compatible and have set the following REGKEY on the machine

Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"Subkey="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\QualityCompat"

Value Name="cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc"

Type="REG_DWORD”

Data="0x00000000”

I cant find that key in registry

is it bitdefender preventing it?

here is link

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/101607-cumulative-update-kb4056892-windows-10-v1709-build-16299-192-a.html

Tagged:

Comments

• Same issue at my home PC (Windows 10 1709). Registry key does not exist and update is not offered.

Checked my work PC (Kaspersky AV) and here the registry key exists. Hopefully Bitdefender checks compatability today and updates its virus scanner to set the registry key. I don't think that they can afford to keep Bitdefender users away from Microsoft's patch.

• ok2016
    edited January 2018

i removed bitdefender on all of my computers and installed patch. so.

I am not sure should I try to install it now after patch is installed. what is the worst that could happen? instabilities or that I cant boot into windows anymore?

I am very unhappy with this... can we get some official respons and ETA for bitdefender is compatibile with Windows 10 logo is true again?

bitdefender is security program and this is maybe single most important update ever and bitdefender users cant install it.

• same problem here:

1 windows server 2012r and 8 windows clients are waiting for the approval of the windows update via registry key!

• I also have the same issue. I have Win 10 Pro version 1709 (OS Build 16299.125). I have manually run an update on my Bitdefender client (Bitdefender Total Security 2018) then go to check for Windows updates but am not being offered any. I am also unable to find the registry key. I reached out to Bitdefender vis their support tool. I suspect I may not receive a reply but if I do I'll post it in this thread 

• /index.php?app=core&module=system&controller=embed&url=" style="height:375px;">

• thanks!!

can someone who has bitdefender installed post here when update become available?

I uninstalled bitdefender and now waiting for fix to put it back... I guess I can put it back right now because bitdefender don't have that compatibility check that Microsoft update has but who  knows what can go wrong

• LateNight
    edited January 2018

On 1/4/2018 at 8:16 PM, ok2016 said:

can someone who has bitdefender installed post here when update become available?

Hello, 

you also may check this site for related updates: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/9033/?icid=overlayccom_all_pagesmicrosoft_security_update_01_2018

I´ve now received both patches from Bitdefender (first) and Microsoft (second) and everything is working well. 

Best regards

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

Confirmed.  That Windows update was successfully installed on both of my computers today.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• BP-Web
    edited January 2018

On two of three pc's i was able tio install the BD patch and afterwards the MS patch 2018-01. Unfortunataly i am not able to receive the BD patch on the third pc. I clicked the Update link in BD but the update is not installed. Also after a Windows restart the BD update won't get installed. Same product on all three pc's: Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2018.

Any help would be appriciated.

• ok2016
    edited January 2018

can someone who got Bitdefender update and after that Windows update look at Bitdefender version? (right click on tray icon and About)

I have patch but don't have bitdefender ;)

so I tried to install it - in middle of installation there is bitdefender window that says do you want to reinstall or uninstall.

first I choose reinstall, and after that bitdefender uninstalls, and no reinstall after reboot.

I tried second time - this time I did not choose anything and Bitdefender installs (I just ignored that window and installation continues, its not main window that installs)

but version after install is xxxx 205 (I did update)

but it should be 

1/5/2018

so I uninstalled again. I ll wait day or two.

• On 1/5/2018 at 9:30 PM, BP-Web said:

On two of three pc's i was able tio install the BD patch and afterwards the MS patch 2018-01. Unfortunataly i am not able to receive the BD patch on the third pc.

Hello, 

which operating system(s) do you use? Are there any differences between your three systems regarding the OS? Did you get any error messages while updating BD or is an update not offered at all?

On 1/5/2018 at 9:38 PM, ok2016 said:

can someone who got Bitdefender update and after that Windows update look at Bitdefender version? (right click on tray icon and About)

Hello, 

I´ve got BD build 22.0.17.209 before installing the latest microsoft patch. Maybe BD hasn´t updated the installer package to the newest version yet. Nevertheless the automatic update should work. 

Best regards

• ok2016
    edited January 2018

I have win10 home 64 an all computers. BD updated after install to version xxx205. somewhere during install (you know its long -maybe during configuring part I don't remember) I got pop up from bitdefender to reinstall or uninstall. if I choose none install just continue and finish. after that bitdefender updates. but still not to latest version. weird. maybe installer  is not updated so that is the problem. I ll wait. its no hurry. I am more worried with intel microcode and maybe motherboard manufacturers not offering bios update.

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

ok2016:

My Bitdefender 2018 Total Security is also showing Build: 22.0.17.209.

The installer package must be a bit dated, but normal BD updates should bring you up to the latest version.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• Hello,

If the product has not yet updated to 22.0.17.209 please run a manual update from the main interface and reboot the machine when it completes.

Note that you will need to reboot and not shutdown/power-on the machine this is to avoid the Fast Boot feature if enabled.

After the machine reboots run another update.

• Thanks Sorin and all others in this thread!

I already did that - its all working fine now. Yes there were two updates.

Best regards!

• I am running Windows 8.1 and have the current Bitdefender AV version running.  The security update came through this morning but it will not install properly and I get the " "we couldnt complet updates. undoing changes" message after the computer restarts and the install tries to finish.  I've run the Microsoft Windows Update tool to see if that made a difference and it still will not install.  I've never had any issues installing updates while running Bitdefender until this update.  Please advise as to what corrective action should be taken.

• ok2016
    edited January 2018

you can uninstall bitdefender and try without it, but I don't think its bitdefender preventing update. when bitdefender was not compatibile then patch was not visible.  just try that and then if it is not bitdefender ask Microsoft or on forums.

• 1 hour ago, ok2016 said:

you can uninstall bitdefender and try without it, but I don't think its bitdefender preventing update. when bitdefender was not compatibile then patch was not visible.  just try that and then if it is not bitdefender ask Microsoft or on forums.

I uninstalled Bitdefender and the patch installed fine.  Something weird was happening as I had the correct version of Bitdefender for three days and the patch only showed up this morning.  Anyway, thank you for the suggestion, it appears that Bitdefender was interfering some how.

• befor you try to get it back (I would wait for few days for more updates to come, and defender is pretty cool now, even safe folders feature) I suggest use https://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall/

bitdefender uninstall tool to clean if there is some old registry entries or files.

• I've restarted since the latest BD update was installed (22.0.17.209), then tried a manual update for good measure.  Despite this, the latest Windows Update (KB4056895) failed twice.  I'm running Windows 8.

• 51 minutes ago, Bleb Nevus said:

I've restarted since the latest BD update was installed (22.0.17.209), then tried a manual update for good measure.  Despite this, the latest Windows Update (KB4056895) failed twice.  I'm running Windows 8.

What error code does Windows Update return when it fails?

• Something about "fatal error."  Didn't copy it down in time.  Is it really worth going through the download, attempted installation, and restart for a third time in order to snag it?

• Hi I'm having the same problem. Getting the fatal error message c0000022. My Bitdefender 2018 Total Security is also showing Build: 22.0.17.209

Is it easy to uninstall and re-install ?

• I think the question is whether (and when) Bitdefender will issue a patch to accommodate the Windows update so it can install properly

• Hello,

If you can see the update that means the key is properly in its place. The key itself does not affect how the Microsoft update gets installed.

The fact that you get a fatal error when rebooting can point to other issues. Keep in mind that Fatal Error c0000022 is a generic error for faulty updates.

I would recommend running DISM and SFC.

DISM : DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

SFC : SFC /scannow

• Thanks for your reply Sorin. Just  a couple of things (I'm not at all tech savvy!)

When you say 'if I can see the update' where should I be looking? Is there somewhere on Bit Defender that notifies me of the patches?

and

the DISM and SFC... Are these things I run from Windows?

Thanks for your help

Just ran a DISM scan and it completed successfully - everything ok. Tried the update but failed again.

• Hello,

You can use Microsoft's Update Troubleshooter tool.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter

• I ran Microsoft's Update Troubleshooter tool.  It indicated that all three identified problems had been fixed.  I then tried again to install the latest updates -- and once again they failed.  Another commenter on this thread says DISM didn't solve the problem either.

• AZ Mountain Geek
    edited January 2018

You might want to try renaming the Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and then running Windows Update again.  What this does is effectively delete (hide) all the files from previous attempts to update and gives Windows Update a fresh start.  For safety you can create a new restore point before trying this.  Here are instructions:

Rename SoftwareDistribution folder

Open an elevated command prompt window (Admin), type the following commands one after the other:

net stop wuauserv

net stop bits

rename c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak

net start wuauserv

net start bits

The first time you run Windows update after this it will probably take a very long time  to look for updates since it doesn't have a history to work against.  You also won't see previously installed updates in the WU history.   It will create a new SoftwareDistribution folder. Be patient and let it complete, then install any updates it finds.    If the update still errors, just delete the new SoftwareDistribution folder and rename the softwaredistribution.bak folder back to what it was, or you can fall back to the restore point if you created one.. If it works you can delete the .bak folder.  Many times in the past I've done all the other recommended things (DISM, Troubleshooter, etc.) with no success - this method has always worked for me.  YMMV.  Good luck!

• Hi, I ran the DISM and the SFC and both came back fine with any issues fixed. All updates can be downloaded and installed with the exception of  KB4056895.

I have nowhere near enough knowledge to know why this is but surely, if all other updates  are working, then it's a problem with the update and not my system?

• In addition to KB4056895, my system is also repeatedly failing to install update KB4056887 (for Adobe Flash) and KB 4033369 (.NET Framework).  All I can find online on the topic is specific to AMD machines and Windows 10, neither of which applies to me.  Are we *sure* Bitdefender doesn't play a role here?

• i have the same problem with kb4056895 it shows up in windows update downloaded and installed but when restarted the system couldnt complete the update and rolled back ...

We couldn’t complete the updates, Undoing changes

/index.php?/topic/78196-kb4056895-and-bd-ts-2018/&do=embed" style="height:208px;max-width:502px;">

/index.php?/profile/194274-bleb-nevus/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="194274" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/194274-bleb-nevus/" rel="">@Bleb Nevus

take a look at my thread its bitdefender for sure :D

• Thanks for keeping this alive, you describe the exact problem I'm having and no resolution from all the other methods kindly advised on this thread.  It's looking more and more like it's an issue with bitdefender yet that seems to be the last thing they want to look at!

• I managed to install the other two "important" Windows updates waiting for my Windows 8 machine that I mentioned in my last message - .NET Framework and Adobe Flash - by selecting them individually.  But when I then tried again to install KB4056895, it again failed at the end. 

Has anyone tried to disable Bitdefender temporarily while going through this process?  I'm willing to do that, by I'm not sure how to switch it off - and make sure it remains off when the computer restarts.  Suggestions?

• /index.php?/profile/194274-bleb-nevus/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="194274" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/194274-bleb-nevus/" rel="">@Bleb Nevus

well you can disable BD but i dont think it would help ...

Protection Features>anti virus >bitdefender shield > off (permanently)

+

Protection Features>advanced threat defense > off

+

Protection Features>safe files(off)>protection at boot >off

then try the ms update if it still fails uninstall BD>install the patch>reinstall the BD (or dont! go for another "stable & compatible" AV/FW)

way to go devs  -_-

• Hi everyone, 

We are currently experiencing some issues on Windows 8.1 where some users cannot install KB4056895  . 

The current workaround for this situation is to temporarily uninstall Bitdefender, install the missing updates, then reinstall Bitdefender. 

• Glad to hear BD is finally acknowledging its role after expressly denying this.  But is it really necessary to go uninstall the entire program rather than temporarily disabling it?

• 3 hours ago, Bleb Nevus said:

Glad to hear BD is finally acknowledging its role after expressly denying this.  But is it really necessary to go uninstall the entire program rather than temporarily disabling it?

Read /index.php?/profile/207589-mohsena540/&do=hovercard&referrer=https%253A%252F%252Fforum.bitdefender.com%252Findex.php%253F%252Ftopic%252F78111-cant-install-latest-windows-security-patch-intel-bug-fix%252F%2526page%253D2%2526tab%253Dcomments" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/207589-mohsena540/" title="Go to mohsen.a540's profile" rel="">mohsen.a540  post above, it if it installs fine if not uninstall!!

• Attention Windows 8 users:  I disabled the three Bitdefender features suggested by moshen.a540 (above) before trying again to download and install the Windows update we've been discussing.  It worked.  This would seem to prove that the problem here is indeed with Bitdefender and not with Windows.  And also that it's not necessary to uninstall Bitdefender in order to solve the problem.

• Nice one Bleb. Did you reset the Bitdefender features once the update installed?

Ah well. I've tried the suggestions from Mohsen and it's not worked just doing exactly the same thing.

So do I need to uninstall? What do I need to do to re-install Bitdefender, please?

Is this forum the place to be for problems to do with Bitdefender or is there an actual helpline ?

Getting frustrated spending so much time on something I'm told is important and is no fault of my own.

• 1 hour ago, cisq said:

Ah well. I've tried the suggestions from Mohsen and it's not worked just doing exactly the same thing.

So do I need to uninstall? What do I need to do to re-install Bitdefender, please?

Is this forum the place to be for problems to do with Bitdefender or is there an actual helpline ?

Getting frustrated spending so much time on something I'm told is important and is no fault of my own.

Go to your BD central and click deactivate/uninstall on the device your having the issue with, then uninstall BD using there uninstall tool, Then when your ready go back to your BD central and re-down load BD.

• Thanks, however, when I go to Bitdefender Central and click on my  devices (of which there is only one) I can't find any option to deactivate/uninstall.

• 3 hours ago, cisq said:

Thanks, however, when I go to Bitdefender Central and click on my  devices (of which there is only one) I can't find any option to deactivate/uninstall.

Click my devices/ then your computer/ menu/remove.

Untitled BD.png

• Thanks Daman1. It's worked! :D