Recent update of BD 2018 total

A few days ago, my Win10 computer received an update for BD Total Security 2018, and my problems started.

I could not reach ANYBODY in my local network! I've been using Bitdefender for DECADES, but the lasted updated patch seriously made me mad.

In order to function, I must turn BD Firewall OFF. I've always used Autopilot and never had any issues.

Dear Bitdefender,

Please fix my issue!

Thanks.

Comments

• Why don´t you try the following: Open BD main window->View Features->Web Protection Settings-> Turn OFF Scan SSL and see if that solves your problem.

• Thanks, it's my computer at work. I'll try it Monday.

• jdd
    jdd ✭✭✭

I have the same problem - takes forever to signature update.  5-15 minutes.

SSL scsnning - if i shut this off, is my thunderbird email still being scanned?

Thanks.

• On 26-1-2018 at 4:25 PM, Diazruanova said:

Why don´t you try the following: Open BD main window->View Features->Web Protection Settings-> Turn OFF Scan SSL and see if that solves your problem.

Thanks that helped me, for the moment. I trust they will patch it soon, eh ?

• On 1/27/2018 at 1:01 PM, jdd said:

I have the same problem - takes forever to signature update.  5-15 minutes.

Same here. A bug has been introduced sometime in the last few days that is causing simple updates to take twice as long as usual.  Getting BD to acknowledge this fact has not been easy. It's kind of hard for BD to finish it's update....when it's doing nothing.

BD 013018-1.png

• On 26-1-2018 at 4:25 PM, Diazruanova said:

Why don´t you try the following: Open BD main window->View Features->Web Protection Settings-> Turn OFF Scan SSL and see if that solves your problem.

I was a bit too eager to find a solution when I stated that this suggestion helped me, when it actually didn't. Sorry bout that.

• You can continue to ignore this issue but it just makes you look bad. I'm going to keep reporting it until someone in a position of authority acknowledges the problem. Thirteen minute update this morning. Much longer than it has taken in the past.  No restart required. None of the BD TS services are doing a thing yet it appears the update is still in progress. This is a bug.

BD 013118-1.png

• On 1/26/2018 at 3:46 PM, indie said:

A few days ago, my Win10 computer received an update for BD Total Security 2018, and my problems started.

I could not reach ANYBODY in my local network! I've been using Bitdefender for DECADES, but the lasted updated patch seriously made me mad.

In order to function, I must turn BD Firewall OFF. I've always used Autopilot and never had any issues.

Dear Bitdefender,

Please fix my issue!

Thanks.

Hi , 

Please set the Firewall as detailed in our article below (adapter - Home Office/ Stealth Mode - Off ) and check if the issue is resolved:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/8908/

If the issue persists, please give us a few more details on your network and what sort of devices are you trying to access/reach. 

Regarding the issue with delayed updates, I would like to ask everyone to post in the following thread, so that we can keep this one on-topic : /index.php?/topic/77268-100-hard-disk-usage-when-update-bitdefender-every-time/" ipsnoembed="true" rel="">https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?/topic/77268-100-hard-disk-usage-when-update-bitdefender-every-time/ 

• The latest Bitdefender update caused problems with hostname resolution on 2 of our computers so far (havent checked the rest).

It is no longer possible to reach or even ping our NAS or DSL-GW by hostname, I can only reach them directly through the IP adress.

Is this the same problem you have, eq. is it a known problem ? 

• 3 hours ago, FB68 said:

The latest Bitdefender update caused problems with hostname resolution on 2 of our computers so far (havent checked the rest).

It is no longer possible to reach or even ping our NAS or DSL-GW by hostname, I can only reach them directly through the IP adress.

Is this the same problem you have, eq. is it a known problem ? 

Hello, 

This is not a known issue with the last update. 

Please try the following and check if the issue is resolved:

- click on Start and type cmd

- right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator;

- type the following commands in the black window that appears, pressing Enter after each line:

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset

• Hi, thanks for the fast response.

I followed your instructions. The /release /renew failed due to adapter state probably because my host has a fixed IP. After restart I had to add the fixed IP again and made the test again.

Unfortunately it didn't seem to help.

C:\Users\FB>ping homebox

Ping request could not find host homebox. Please check the name and try again.

C:\Users\FB>ping 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Homebox is default gateway (DSL-Modem)

• Tech support, just want to confirm that latest update also blocking network connections to server at work on Win 7 machine. Problem occurring with older devices and printers running different operating systems. Causing massive headaches here at work!

If I can assist: 

New build blocking network connections

Build 22.0.18.224

Virus signatures: 11398633

Engine version: 7.74843

I uninstalled and reinstalled from web and turned OFF auto update. Older engine working perfectly as it has been!

Build 22.0.18.224

Virus signatures: 11371522

Engine version: 7.74742

Won't update Bitdefender until you identify issue and resolve. How else can I assist?

Jeff 

• Tech support, just want to confirm that latest update also blocking network connections to server at work on Win 7 machine. Problem occurring with older devices and printers running different operating systems. Causing massive headaches here at work!

If I can assist: 

Build 22.0.18.224

I uninstalled and reinstalled from web and turned OFF auto update. Older engine working perfectly as it has been!

Build 22.0.18.224

Won't update Bitdefender until you identify issue and resolve. How else can I assist?

Jeff 

• On 2/1/2018 at 10:14 PM, JeffJeff said:

Tech support, just want to confirm that latest update also blocking network connections to server at work on Win 7 machine. Problem occurring with older devices and printers running different operating systems. Causing massive headaches here at work!

If I can assist: 

Build 22.0.18.224

Build 22.0.18.224

Jeff 

Hi, 

Does this issue persist if you set the firewall as I mentioned earlier in this thread? (Network adapter to home/office and stealth mode off) 

• /index.php?/profile/213010-fb68/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="213010" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/213010-fb68/" rel="">@FB68 Can you please let us know whether the issue occurs when the Firewall is turned off? Thank you.

• Hi Sergiu

- I normally run with adapter set to Home/office and stealth mode off. I am having the problem with these settings.

- If I turn off Bitdefender, system defaults back to windows firewall (set to allow all under advanced) and network connections from older devices works again.

Please note again that problem is with non-windows devices only such as a Ricoh printer that is being blocked.

Jeff 

• Hi Sergiu

- I normally run with adapter set to Home/office and stealth mode off. I am having the problem with these settings.

- If I turn off Bitdefender, system defaults back to windows firewall (set to allow all under advanced) and network connections from older devices works again.

Please note again that problem is with non-windows devices only such as a Ricoh printer that is being blocked.

Jeff 

• Hi,

regarding the non-windows problem with printers then I have had problems with this for a long time. For my HP printers to work I at least need to:

- assign static IP's to each of the printers

- create special rules in the firewall settings

- temporarily disable the firewall during driver/printer installation else they won't be detected at all 

in order to get printing and scanning to work.

regarding windows problems then I often have to disable the firewall (on all host's) when setting up Windows workgroup and enable it again afterwards..

The hostname problem however is brand new.

Sorry, didn't answer your question, please find answer and more details below.

In the family I have 4 PC’s upgraded.

The first was the one I found the problem on maybe 1-2 days after the upgrade.

(This PC has static IP and cannot resolve neither the default GW and the NAS)

The second I tested and found working, did the Bitdefender update and then found it had also got the problem.

(This PC has dynamic IP and cannot resolve the NAS but seems to resolve the default GW)

The third, funny enough, didn’t seem to get the problem (at least immediately) – I’ll test it one more time soon.

The fourth behaved exactly like the second (I tested and found it working, did the Bitdefender update and then found it had also got the problem).

(This PC has dynamic IP and cannot resolve the NAS but seems to resolve the default GW)

On the one with static IP I disabled all settings as per below instruction and it didn't change anything problem still exists!

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/3347/

• RazorBack
    RazorBack
    edited February 2018

FYI

BitDefender about.exe tells me I have :

Total security 2018

build 22.0.18.224

with engine version 7.74853 and 

11406130 virus signatures

I have three windows 10 pc's with dynamic ip's

One is with windows 10 Pro and that one cannot resolve our NAS, while the other ones running windows 10 home edition can.

Changing the  backup profiles to accommodate for this was easy enough by changing the UNC path to the ip address

I think this also may have to do with the quirky way windows 10 handles network traffic, but I am not an expert in this matter.

Just wanted to share this info and hope it helps.

• FB68
    FB68
    edited February 2018

My PC's are a mix of Windows 10 Pro and Home.

Please note that Microsoft with the latest Windows 10 updates disables SMB V1 because of security issues which causes problems with old equipment that only supports SMB V1.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2696547/how-to-detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-smbv2-and-smbv3-in-windows-and

My Windows 10 Pro host have SMBv1 enabled due to another older NAS (backup SW), while I look for a new solution.

• Thanks for the replies R & F. I am using Windows 7 computers at work. All my devices, PCs and printers are using dedicated IP addresses. All worked great until BD updates last week (error messages: can't find server, you don't have privileges, etc). 

Even tried pointing printer to server folder using the server's IP address (\\192.168.x.x\Server_data\) rather than sever name (\\Server\Server_data\). Sometimes it works but mostly not. At the moment I've disabled BD firewall and have defaulted to Win 7 firewall on the server. In Win 7 setup under advanced firewall settings I've added a custom inbound rule that allows all traffic within my local IP range. 

Using Win 7 firewall for now until this gets sorted.

Jeff

From another thread:

/index.php?/topic/78287-firewall-problem-after-update-to-22018224-cant-map-drive-or-use-unc-path/&do=embed" style="height:205px;max-width:500px;">

DWK and Support - Bingo! Testing now but same issue since BD updates from last week.  Has only been a recent issue for printers and non-windows devices connecting to my Win 7 PCs running through the BD firewall. I too have a VPN and stealth mode needs to be disabled on VPN adapter regardless of the VPN running or not. This indeed was not the issue before BD undates as I would run the VPN device in stealth mode.

Seems like a glitch in recent BD updates. Hope they can fix it. I will post on other thread.

Jeff

• Update - Renamed Workgroup from default "workgroup" to something different and network discovery NAS is working once again. Something (maybe printers) was interfering and indeed not a BD issue. However, BD Stealth mode NOW needs to be turned off for ALL network adapters in order for local network discovery and connecting. Everything is communicating consistently and reliably.

Jeff

• Dear Bitdefender,

None of your suggested solutions works. 

I always must turn off Bitdefender's firewall in order to be able to function at work and see other networked computers.

Please find a quick fix!

• /index.php?/profile/125519-indie/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="125519" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/125519-indie/" rel="">@indie

Please send us an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com and attach a support tool log to that email. Make sure to enable the option to reproduce the issue when creating the log as described here: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/8919/ Thank you!

• 11 hours ago, Sergiu C. said:

Yesterday, I got another huge Bitdefender update - a big one, plus all that Giga, Giga Windows 10 OS update version.

Anyway, after long hours of updating Windows 10 and Bitdefender, after several long restarts, eventually, I got my computer running again.

The first thing I noticed was that I did not get any bad messages that my cloud backup system "was not able to start".

I immediately put Bitdefender on AutoPilot and started checking my networked computers/communication, and I was able to see them, you reach them, share their databases, etc...

I think, the last (yesterday's) huge Bitdefender update fixed my issues!

Once upon a time, I used to have enough time to "tweak" my computer, my antivirus, etc...

Now, I'm using Bitdefender just BECAUSE I can put BD on Autopilot , and I'm happy - I'm SERIOUSLY protected.

If my favorite Bitdefender protects me without causing any unnecessary headaches - I will use it and recommend it to everybody.

My issues has been fixed - Thank you very much.

11 hours ago, Sergiu C. said:

Please send us an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com and attach a support tool log to that email. Make sure to enable the option to reproduce the issue when creating the log as described here: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/8919/ Thank you!

• FYI, my problems still persist, still awaiting a solution.

• 6 minutes ago, FB68 said:

FYI, my problems still persist, still awaiting a solution.

YES, YES, YES.

This morning, I wrote a happy comment about "FIXED problem", and I was too fast.

My BD Firewall problem came back this morning.

Please disregard my earlier post about a "good result/fixed problem."

Using BD's support tool.