Goodbye Bitdefender

I'm sure this will be deleted but please read it first and pass it along to management. I have deleted BD from all of my devices and deleted my BD Central Account. To your credit I have received a refund. I have moved on to a new security suite. No more 10 minute updates. Less than two minutes now, closer to one minute thirty seconds as it should be.

I had been a huge fan of BD for many years and had recommended it as a security solution to anyone who would listen. But sadly due to bugs and long update times that remained unfixed even after two months it was time to move on. If you've upset even your most loyal fan then you've done something very wrong. I don't know if you've hired new programmers or what but I'd suggest getting Beta Testers from around the world as most other developers of software do. It's the only way to test your software on as many different systems and different locations as possible.  Perhaps if the bugs and performance issues are addressed in the future I can come back again and once more be a loyal fan.

Please pass this message on to management. I want them to know why they are losing a good customer. I know you probably won't pass it on but I'd love for them to know why I'm leaving.

Good luck to all.

Cheers,

Marc

Comments

• Hi Marc, 

I assure you that your feedback won't be ignored and I hope you will return in time. 

We do have a beta-testing program, that runs before each major version upgrade (e.g. from 2017 to 2018), and I will be sure to pass along the idea to expand this program.

Thank you for the feedback and for your time spent with the community! 

• I'm about to go the same route. I have completely lost faith in BD. 6 months have past and still struggling with the bug. Some apps (to me it's VPN) are just incompatible with BD and there is no fix. Last response from support cam 1,5 months ago, despite my repeated inquiry. This is unacceptable.

• I've tried several security suites trying to find a fast one that also protects against Ransomware (friends have been attacked with MacAfee!), and so far BD is just OK.

In the cloud were Very Slow (I have 100mbps internet), Norton/ESET messed Badly with allowing Windows Updates (BD allows them!)!

I ended up buying a new high-end Gigabyte desktop computer with SSD/DDR4 memory, and things... are somewhat better.

• I am tempted to follow this route as well, my only hesitation is that I bought 10 licenses which I would loose.

On the other hand there are constant issues with BD, such as it is:

- Stopping installations because of folder protection and others

- is triggering False Alarms and removal of app with no notice (except in the log)

- Slowing down the system by using massive CPU time and sometimes just causing the system to lag

- Consuming of 300MB ram (more than Google Chrome or Excel)

If this all passed any testing with no notice, then I would reconsider the non-functional testing approach.

The support always tried to help sometime wiht success, sometimes with the advice is to tinker with whitelists, firewall etc.

These solution are not sustainable as they easily break with an update or reinstall of BD (which is also an advice supports gives often). 

• On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:59 PM, MarcHoppe said:

I'm sure this will be deleted but please read it first and pass it along to management. I have deleted BD from all of my devices and deleted my BD Central Account. To your credit I have received a refund. I have moved on to a new security suite. No more 10 minute updates. Less than two minutes now, closer to one minute thirty seconds as it should be.

Marc

RE: Updates slow- In my experience, clicking Update Now in GUI (only!- No Right click!), re-downloads the Entire database....!

Virus definitions are downloaded automatically every hour (starting at cold startup time, and works Good!)- 

To verify, click the Bell (left GUI)/All Tab.

• On 3/27/2018 at 12:49 PM, Golota said:

I'm about to go the same route. I have completely lost faith in BD. 6 months have past and still struggling with the bug. Some apps (to me it's VPN) are just incompatible with BD and there is no fix. Last response from support cam 1,5 months ago, despite my repeated inquiry. This is unacceptable.

So you have been having incompatibility issues with your VPN and Bitdefender? It appears that I am as well. My VPN manager is having problems, and it all seems to lead back to Bitdefender. If you could be so kind, would you explain what your VPN issues are? Maybe it could help me solve mine.

Thanks!

• On 4/19/2018 at 9:23 AM, Captain Obvious said:

So you have been having incompatibility issues with your VPN and Bitdefender? It appears that I am as well. My VPN manager is having problems, and it all seems to lead back to Bitdefender. If you could be so kind, would you explain what your VPN issues are? Maybe it could help me solve mine.

Thanks!

The issue is that when the VPN client starts, CPU will immediately climb to 100% utilization. The same happens if I don't launch the VPN client, there is a slight (3-5 mins) delay, as long as the VPN is installed. I tested several VPN clients, to the same result. It will start a random kernel, which will send the CPU to overdrive. Several reinstalls, to no avail. Previous BD versions: no problem at all, except when they get upgraded to the 2018 version. I have sent the logs to BD, but ZERO response. They replied to several emails before, but have gone completely AWOL now... My guess is that it has to do with BD trying to take control of network traffic.

• FrostyBC455
    edited April 2018

For me specifically, the lack of notifications/pop up messages for any major software "blocking" is really worrisome. I have to dig into the logs of BD to find out what exactly it did. Also i have the Autopilot turned off , and it still feels like the software is doing whatever it wants, without notifying me in real time with a message. I don't want constant notifications for every single thing, but if it prevented installation of a software due to trying to access safe folders or whatever it is called, i want to be able to have a notification with an option "Do you want to allow software to access: YES or NO". I don't want it to make the decision for myself automatically even after I have Auto Pilot turned off...

Luckily i don't have the slow update issues. I hope that gets fixed for all the folks with that problem.

• On 4/20/2018 at 12:33 PM, Golota said:

My guess is that it has to do with BD trying to take control of network traffic.

I KNEW IT!!! After an update that required that my computer be restarted, I've been having weird network issues (but particularly with IPv6). I've been emailing my VPN provider and sending them logs. They're currently trying to figure out what's going on. Hopefully, I can finally get to the bottom of this. 

• It is sad to see that somebody still uses this crapware.. The product is worse than any kind of "real" malware.

• 34 minutes ago, _chaos_ said:

It is sad to see that somebody still uses this crapware.. The product is worse than any kind of "real" malware.

It wasn't always this way. I started using Bitdefender 6 years ago, and back then it was hands down the best anti-virus software on the entire market. It was stable, bug free, unobtrusive, and offered kick @ss protection. Back then, you'd be crazy to use anything else! But things change, and I think what happened was that Bitdefender got too big for their britches. Like most large corporations, once you reach a certain size, creativity is stifled and your company starts to suffer from managerial bloat. Heck, just look at GE for a perfect example of this. It's too bad, because I can still remember the good ole days.

• On 4/21/2018 at 10:05 AM, FrostyBC455 said:

I have to dig into the logs of BD to find out what exactly it did.

Could you tell me what logs you opened, and where exactly in the computer file system they are located? Thank you.

• I regret to join this group as well. After my recent update to BD 2018, I was unable to login my wallet. It did not recognize my password. I ended up create new wallet. My safepay kept asking even when I disabled the safepay.

• On 25.04.2018 at 6:40 AM, HENRYL said:

I regret to join this group as well. After my recent update to BD 2018, I was unable to login my wallet. It did not recognize my password. I ended up create new wallet. My safepay kept asking even when I disabled the safepay.

If you forgot the master password for your Wallet, it can not be reset or restored for security reasons. We recommend you the following: delete the current database (wallet) and create a new one. To do this, follow the instructions below.

1. Restart your computer in safe mode.

2. Once your computer boot_s in safe mode, delete all files inside this folder:

C: \ ProgramData \ Bitdefender \ PasswordManager \ S-1-5-21-1755549283-2148445093-3383773989-1002

Note: this folder is hidden by default.

Folder: S-1-5-21-1755549283-2148445093-3383773989-1002 may differ from yours and be given as a template.

3. After removing all found files, restart the computer

4. Open Bitdefender and create a new wallet.

• On 4/22/2018 at 1:13 PM, Captain Obvious said:

Could you tell me what logs you opened, and where exactly in the computer file system they are located? Thank you.

BD Notifications (the bell icon in BD)... i call them logs since i don't get notified of anything, they are just logs of what it did.

• On 3/18/2018 at 2:59 PM, MarcHoppe said:

Marc can you explain how to get refund. I've only had Bitdefender Total Security 2018 for barely a week now. It is the best example of an over rated anti-virus program that just takes up to much space. It controls to much of my computer. And it uses to much of my network. I just want my money back.

• I would contact them through their Facebook Page. That's what worked for me.

• I have been a loyal customer for Bitdefender for several years up until a few days ago when Bitdefender tried to force update my 2016 version to 2018. The updater use to allow you to ignore the nag screen to update but now they have taken away that choice and forces the update whether you like it or not. I contacted Bitdefender in a chat and the rep told me there is no way to prevent the update which I know is a bunch of crap. I told the rep that version 2018 makes my system unstable but to no avail and he refused to give me a refund.  That's it for me I uninstalled my 2016 version even though I still had almost a full year left on my license. No company should take away a customers right to choose. Bitdefender wants to bully they're customers now so the marriage we once had is ending in divorce.  Bye BD I'm migrating to Eset. I don't like being bullied.

• FelixSG
    FelixSG
    edited June 2018

Hmm.. just two days ago I switched to this Bitdefender Total Security from my previous Kaspersky Internet Security (of two years use) with bunch of good expectation to use the rank #1 antivirus program in almost all reviews on the Internet, but it seems like unfortunately now the 2018 version is not yet completely stable. I hope Bitdefender would fix all the issues as soon as possible for having no trouble. :D

• This new nag screen to log into an account and that extremely annoying CAPTCHA thing attached to is the straw that broke the camels back with me. I can never solve the CAPTCHA and therefore ever get to even create the account. I wasted so much time on that thing which never changes it's always the one with the signs. That's it I have had it with companies forcing paying customers to bend to they're Will. This is a democracy we have in the US, not a dictatorship. DO NOT FORCE ANYTHING ON PAYING CUSTOMERS. Give us a choice to create a new account or to upgrade to a newer version of Bitdefender.  Stop playing big brother with grown people. I will not be renewing my subscription just to get a glorified piece of NAGWARE from Bitdefender.

• I'm going back to Kaspersky. I will settle for #2 ranked virus protection just so I don't have to put up with nagging software.

• On 4/7/2018 at 10:49 AM, MichelM said:

I am tempted to follow this route as well, my only hesitation is that I bought 10 licenses which I would loose.

On the other hand there are constant issues with BD, such as it is:

- Stopping installations because of folder protection and others

- is triggering False Alarms and removal of app with no notice (except in the log)

- Slowing down the system by using massive CPU time and sometimes just causing the system to lag

- Consuming of 300MB ram (more than Google Chrome or Excel)

If this all passed any testing with no notice, then I would reconsider the non-functional testing approach.

The support always tried to help sometime wiht success, sometimes with the advice is to tinker with whitelists, firewall etc.

These solution are not sustainable as they easily break with an update or reinstall of BD (which is also an advice supports gives often). 

I had been a huge fan of BD for many years and had recommended it as a security solution to anyone who would listen. But sadly due to bugs and long update times that remained unfixed even after two months it was time to move on. If you've upset even your most loyal fan then you've done something very wrong. I don't know if you've hired new programmers or what but I'd suggest getting Beta Testers from around the world as most other developers of software do. It's the only way to test your software on as many different systems and different locations as possible.  Perhaps if the bugs and performance issues are addressed in the future I can come back again and once more be a loyal fan.