bdagentd and BDLDaemon takes high CPU usage

Hi there,

From time to time Bitdefender deamons like bdagentd and BDLDaemon takes hight CPU usage. When I turn off autopilot and then tun it back on I can get a rid of BDLDaemon. But I can't do anything with bdagentd. For example now bdagentd takes 50% - 60%  of CPU and makes my laptop to heat and slow down. And that's from hours.  I bought Bitdefender because I read a review where it was shown that Bitdefender is faster and don't slow down your Mac. But in fact I was disappointed from higher CPU usage of Bitdefender. Instead of doing my work I have to deal every time with Bitdefender to free my cpu usage. My question is: What I can do to get a rid of those high CPU usage?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Hi,

Same problem for me. On the console I can see the repeating following message for bdagentd :

10:44:49.810557 +0200    bdagentd    0x7fdcb2498970 opened /Library/Keychains/System.keychain: 115752 bytes

10:45:06.442488 +0200    bdagentd    0x7fdcb1766cb0 opened /Library/Keychains/System.keychain: 115752 bytes

10:45:21.690805 +0200    bdagentd    0x7fdcb1dcf6e0 opened /Library/Keychains/System.keychain: 115752 bytes

10:45:37.053456 +0200    bdagentd    0x7fdcb257b8e0 opened /Library/Keychains/System.keychain: 115752 bytes

10:45:52.287755 +0200    bdagentd    0x7fdcb1f81de0 opened /Library/Keychains/System.keychain: 115752 bytes

10:46:07.888990 +0200    bdagentd    0x7fdcb20d1f60 opened /Library/Keychains/System.keychain: 115752 bytes

10:46:23.288374 +0200    bdagentd    0x7fdcb1e9adc0 opened /Library/Keychains/System.keychain: 115752 bytes

10:46:38.798686 +0200    bdagentd    0x7fdcb204a380 opened /Library/Keychains/System.keychain: 115752 bytes

• Jamu849
    Jamu849
    edited August 2018

Hi, dust_bg & kekule.

I have same problems like you.

My case is like this.

- bdagentd process holds 50~60% CPU performance from time to time.

- bdagentd process sends something outside through a network. When I checked system info, bdagentd was sanding almost 4GB.

What is this 'bdagentd'?

Does it belong to Bitdefender VPN?

• kekule
    edited August 2018

For me it's not "from time to time" but constantly since this morning, and on my 2 mac.

The 2 computers was off since 3 weeks, so I suspect that bdagentd is doing a kind of background scan ?

Like Jamu849 I can see a network traffic to nimbus.bitdefender.net (aka eu-central-1.compute.amazonaws.com)

• hmmm very interesting.  i have been wondering why my mac gets sooooo hot.  seems those 2 processes use more CPU than all the other processes combined.  this does not make me happy! wonder what is up with over 100% here??? 

i hope someone from bitdefender will please address this issue we are having...

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 12.49.08 AM.png

• /index.php?/profile/214504-kekule/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="214504" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/214504-kekule/" rel="">@kekule by "from time to time"  I mean that this happens often. Now it is constantly from yesterday morning. It drains my battery, while heating my laptop and taking up to 100% of my CPU. This slows down everything it is almost impossible to work. I'm considering uninstalling the product. I'm paying money for that. That is unacceptable!

• I sent a request to the support, and uninstalled bitdefender, and I'm waiting for a fix to re-install it...

• Hello everyone, 

The issue is being investigated by our development team at this time, however we could use a few more logs.

If possible, please send us an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com with the following information:

- a few screenshots displaying the CPU, Memory and Disk tabs.

- a few logs that can be created by following the below steps:

1. copy the files config_debug.plist and com.bitdefender.agent.log.plist attached to this post to /Users/Shared, restart your device and wait for the issue to reproduce.

2. Afterwards, please provide us with the logs from /Library/Logs/Bitdefender/. You can create an archive with all the files and send them at the email address mentioned above, together with a description of the issue(you can also mention this forum thread). 

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=18203" data-fileid="18203" rel="">com.bitdefender.agent.log.plist/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=18204" data-fileid="18204" rel="">config_debug.plist

Thank you!

• Same problem here, bdagent is running constantly, taking up 100% of one core, battery is draining 10% every 10 mins.  When I check the Bitdefender console, it says the signatures are out of date, if I click to update, progress bar does not go up.  Will need to uninstall as it is killing my laptop.

• Both bdagentd and BDLDaemon in action :)

both-in-action.jpg

• I'm experiencing the EXACT SAME issue.  High CPU with bdagentd process (90-95%).  That process is also writing 50-60 GB of info to my hard drive and my battery is losing 10% power every 10-15 minutes.  PLEASE HELP!!!

• Same problem here. I have 2 MacBooks (pro and air), both of them having Bitdefender ( VPN included) and both of indicating the bdagentd process running with 90 -100 % of CPU. I’ve tried killing the process, without success. Then I’ve   Uninstalled Bitdefender on MacBook Air and problem disappeared.

I hope the problem gets fixed as soon as possible, as I cannot continue too much time without Antivirus. 

I will send screenshots and logs, as requested 

• Same problem here. Recently Bite Defender for Mac process "bdagentd" is constantly taking approx. 80% of my CPU, slowing my iMac down and causing it to get very hot.

Please see attached screenshot.

I hope that Bit Defender is giving this problem some priority and comes up with a solution soon, otherwise I will have to try uninstalling it.

In the meantime it would be good to hear from Bit Defender just what btagentd is?

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 16.01.45.png

• Petre
    edited August 2018

This process (bdagentd) causes my Mac to become so hot, that I actually need to plugin an external cooler and manually increase the fan speed up to 4 - 5000 rpm!

The  only programs running were, Activity Monitor, Firefox ( with one tab only ) and Onenote. I had also forwarded what The Support Guy asked for.

This is so annoying, especially when you've can't simply switch to another AV solution, because you've "secured" your machines for at least 450 days from now.

Thank you Bitdefender. 

image.thumb.png.d4e58a2d6e47b3f0386f41a77858e7e1.png

image.thumb.png.6692668bbb347acbca57f4ce91d906ee.png

image.thumb.png.f27af80761d74a3171fcb07912b82a40.png

• Is there any status update on the resolution of this issue???  I'm just wondering whether to just uninstall Bitdefender and wait for it to be fixed.  My machine gets so hot that I'm worried it will do permanent damage.

• I don't think anyone works to solve this issue at this moment. Probably, tomorrow someone will consider looking around.

Personally, I don't think we will see a solution / update anytime soon. I'm uninstalling BitDefender as we talk.

Nextime, I'll spend some more time reading reviews, before purchasing a something from their webshop. 

I'm even considering asking for a refund, as there are less than 30 days since I've upgraded to Total Security 2019.

Such a disappointment.

• same here, touchbar macbook pro and mac min both showing heavy cpu. Second time this has happened with Bitdefender. Last time I uninstalled, this time I will again uninstall. Seems like they really can't get their code right.

• corneredcat
    edited August 2018

agree with above. they have all the info they need with our posts. WE shouldn't be the ones doing THEIR homework.  this has been an issue for me since the DAY ONE of install..one YEAR ago.  i have an external fan going as well...this laptop was new and fear what the excessive heat will do... 

now i am running into available memory issues in Safari...seems Bitdefender hogs everything available!

the numbers below are unreal. nothing else on my computer comes anywhere near the usage of Bitdefender....

p.s.sorry so big

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 5.06.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 5.07.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 5.07.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 5.06.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 5.32.18 PM.png

• 11 hours ago, Sergiu C. said:

Hello everyone, 

The issue is being investigated by our development team at this time, however we could use a few more logs.

If possible, please send us an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com with the following information:

- a few screenshots displaying the CPU, Memory and Disk tabs.

- a few logs that can be created by following the below steps:

1. copy the files config_debug.plist and com.bitdefender.agent.log.plist attached to this post to /Users/Shared, restart your device and wait for the issue to reproduce.

2. Afterwards, please provide us with the logs from /Library/Logs/Bitdefender/. You can create an archive with all the files and send them at the email address mentioned above, together with a description of the issue(you can also mention this forum thread). 

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=18203" rel="">com.bitdefender.agent.log.plist/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=18204" rel="">config_debug.plist

Thank you!

thank you for responding...i will email my info

• CVB
    CVB
    edited August 2018

I have this problem too.  This is really unacceptable and urgent.  Turning off autopilot does not stop the process.

Is it safe to force quit this process?

BTW, this is a NEW problem which suggests it occurred when an update was rolled out.  The obvious solution would be to roll back your update. 

• /index.php?/profile/214523-cvb/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="214523" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/214523-cvb/" rel="">@CVB Not to mention that you should not turn off autopilot to stop the process. The process just shouldn't take so much CPU. 

You can't quit the process, even with force quit. The only way to get a rid of this is to uninstall the program.

For me they should test what they made before pushing the update. Also, it's very bad practice to put update on Friday or before going to vacation. Every developer  knows that.

• At least I have been able to uninstall easily.  Hopefully they will fix and I can reinstall.   

• But we are paying to use that software, when we uninstall it we are not using the software. And now we are paying not to use their software :)

• Hi, 

Our team was able to reproduce the issue internally. We will post here when the situation is resolved. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. 

• Thank you Sergiu for working on this issue.

• Petre
    edited August 2018

3 hours ago, Sergiu C. said:

Hi, 

Our team was able to reproduce the issue internally. We will post here when the situation is resolved. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. 

Hello Sergiu,

how long time until we see some results? 

In another post, you explained what the bdagentd is:

"The Bitdefender agent is used to communicate with your Bitdefender Central account. however it should not use so much CPU. 

Please contact our support team at bitsy@bitdefender.com in order to investigate this issue."

What if we  block this process from communicating with Central Account, such as setting a rule in the firewall, that prevents the external traffic on a given port (aka the port bdagentd uses to talk with the central account)...will that calm-down the process?

Has anyone tried this?

• Same problem. Waiting for bug fix...

• +1 with same exact issue, high cpu on bdagentd, started about a week ago.

• ron70
    edited August 2018

Hi all!

Ehm, the problem turns out to be much more severe. Right now, I am restoring a tme machine backup. Problem is that not only the cpu is high, this bdagentd is continiuously writing data to harddisk / ssd, about 1GB per minute. That is the reason why especially devices with an ssd onboard run hot. Those things are not designed to write so much data for hours in a row. In my case it managed to write around 300 GB before I found that out. :-(

avoid btw the advice of re-initializing Spotlight. I did that and the indexing stopped quickly. According to Apple’s helpdesk the procedure described by Bitdefender is NOT a good idea, only as a very last resort. Best thing to do now is just uninstall Bitdefender until a solution is available. I was advised to do a time machine system restore, which is running now. Very time consuming, no work for me today to be done.

The sad thing is, that Bitdefender support is always extremely helpful and friendly. But the required speed of in this case a potential hadware-destructive bug is not there. Maybe the team is on the small side. I see that they are working hard on it. But I fear some - especially - SSD’s will be damaged, especially in hot area’s of the world. I also don’t understand that macOS just doesn’t block such a rogue process that is doing weird things. It should detect that something is going awfully wrong in a case like this.

greetings,

Ron.

• KarlB-123
    edited August 2018

5 minutes ago, ron70 said:

Ehm, the problem turns out to be much more severe. Right now, I am restoring a tme machine backup. Problem is that not only the cpu is high, this bdagentd is continiuously writing data to harddisk / ssd, about 1GB per minute. That is the reason why especially devices with an ssd onboard run hot. Those things are not designed to write so much data for hours in a row. In my case it managed to write around 300 GB before I found that out. :-(

Do you know the location of the writing?  Will it be cleared out if I delete the BitDefender App package, or are these files elsewhere, in the Library folder?

• 10 minutes ago, KarlB-123 said:

Do you know the location of the writing?  Will it be cleared out if I delete the BitDefender App package, or are these files elsewhere, in the Library folder?

Think it might be continually writing the same file over and over again, which makes it even worse

• 12 minutes ago, KarlB-123 said:

As you can see in the screenshots of one page before this one, the data written can run into the Terabytes after running some time. That is VERY bad for any SSD. It will shorten its lifespan to the point of a near-failure.

• 1 minute ago, ron70 said:

As you can see in the screenshots of one page before this one, the data written can run into the Terabytes after running some time. That is VERY bad for any SSD. It will shorten its lifespan to the point of a near-failure.

Shame, I've been happy with BitDefender for the last year I have been using it, but this is a major issue and can't imagine it is only affecting a few people.  They need to provide a fix ASAP

• Great points above about this 'bug' grinding the SSD into dust (which basically bricks a mac book pro).  Did some intern write an infinite loop that made it into production or what?

I was unable to kill bdagentd, even with sudo kill,  kill -9, etc.  So I ended up uninstalling BitDefender. That provided immediate relief. Nice to have my laptop back.  Will have to wait for the patch to reinstall BD. This ###### because I'm paying for subscription days! They should extend our subscriptions to cover the days this bug was in effect.

• Ran into a new problem. After restoring a time machine backup, Time Machine starts to make a full backup now. Sadly enough, I didn’t get a chance to uninstall BitDefender. You guess it already: this is going to be slllloooooowwww with bdagentd writing data full continiously. Very sad about this, lost my evening completely and the night ahead probably too.

• dust_bg
    edited August 2018

I'm uninstalling Bitdefender. That situation cannot continue like that. I'm very disappointed :(

@PDX_bd you cannot kill that process. The only way to stop it is uninstall bitdefender.

• Not to mention an arrangement for repairs as a result for destructed ssd’s :-(

• ron70
    edited August 2018

I would like to know WHY exactly this bug was triggered suddenly in the last few days. I did not get any update for the Bitdefender program, only database updates. Normally, if you receive a software update too, that requires a restart.

Also, I would like to know from Bitdefender what influence this bug has on vital running system tasks, like time machine backups. Are they going to be corrupted or can I assume it doesn’t go that far.

And could someone please give an explanation of what exactly is going on? What is being written, where do all those Giga/Terabytes end up or is it - as I suspect - hundreds of times per minute rewriting the same small file? And last but not least: how is the patch going to be implemented? Do we better completely uninstall and reinstall Bitdefender manually now?

Personally, I am far from happy with this. I lost the biggest part of my working day trying to figure out why I couldn’t use my computer normally. I run my own business, so this turned out to be a very expensive joke. Ok, happens but a monomental error like this should have been resolved the moment it appeared.

isn’t it the best idea to offer the version before this one (if indeed some update WAS done unnoticed)? Then we are back to the situation of last Friday where all was fine. And for the future: PLEASE do not roll out software updates in the middle of a hot summer and holidays. I have to work like an idiot to be ready before a planned trip now.

• 9 minutes ago, dust_bg said:

I'm uninstalling Bitdefender. That situation cannot continue like that. I'm very disappointed :(

@PDX_bd you cannot kill that process. The only way to stop it is uninstall bitdefender.

If I'm root I should be able to kill whatever process I darn well please... especially a program I PAID FOR. ;)

• 22 minutes ago, KarlB-123 said:

Shame, I've been happy with BitDefender for the last year I have been using it, but this is a major issue and can't imagine it is only affecting a few people.  They need to provide a fix ASAP

Many users will not notice it for some time. Especially the faster Mac’s don’t show that much of an impact in running regular software like Office, Photoshop etc. First signs of trouble for most people will be a very hot computer or louder then usual spinning fans. And even then, 90% of the people will either ignore it or ask Apple for help. This is not something you expect to happen from third party-software. Especially not a virusscanner which is reviewed over and over again as having the lowest impact on systems in comparison to the competition. Many Mac’s will have problems soon, I am afraid with many not understanding why. I noticed that Bitdefender support is very helpful but keeps stating that this bug simply will have no effect on hardware. I have the very strong feeling that might not be true, but I hope I am wrong of course!

• 31 minutes ago, ron70 said:

ok that's not cool,,,i'm freaking out now! OVER 1T IN ONE DAY????? what should i do? i can NOT afford this laptop to be trashed just because of this one program. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 3.36.15 PM.png

• ron70
    edited August 2018

8 minutes ago, corneredcat said:

ok that's not cool,,,i'm freaking out now! OVER 1T IN ONE DAY????? what should i do? i can NOT afford this laptop to be trashed just because of this one program. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 3.36.15 PM.png

You scored more then 4 and 6 TB on those machines. That is VERY bad, sorry to say so. The thing is also that SSD’s get very hot under such a continuous writing. Heat is the worst enemy for this type of storage. I would shut down those computers immediately if I were you. Then after waiting an hour or so, start them again and remove Bitdefender. Then hope for the best. You could ask Apple if they have a tool to measure the impact on the lifespan of your ssd. Probably that is possible. And if there is a problem you could ask what to do. With some luck it falls under AppleCare.

• 7 minutes ago, ron70 said:

You scored more then 4 and 6 TB on those machines. That is VERY bad, sorry to say so. The thing is also that SSD’s get very hot under such a continuous writing. Heat is the worst enemy for this type of storage. I would shut down those computers immediately if I were you. Then after waiting an hour or so, start them again and remove Bitdefender. Then hope for the best. You could ask Apple if they have a tool to measure the impact on the lifespan of your ssd. Probably that is possible. And if there is a problem you could ask what to do. With some luck it falls under AppleCare.

this is one macbook pro i got a year ago...and one screen shot is yesterday..other was just now!!!!!!!  if something happens BITDEFENDER should pay.  i have hardly used this thing and i am very upset to discover this.  i have been wondering why it gets so HOT. (so i'm using external fan because of this.) 

i need a solution which appears to be uninstall BD...as this is my only computer.  thank you for your reply..i appreciate it. i'm not good with software things...and i do have applecare

• 9 minutes ago, corneredcat said:

this is one macbook pro i got a year ago...and one screen shot is yesterday..other was just now!!!!!!!  if something happens BITDEFENDER should pay.  i have hardly used this thing and i am very upset to discover this.  i have been wondering why it gets so HOT. (so i'm using external fan because of this.) 

i need a solution which appears to be uninstall BD...as this is my only computer.  thank you for your reply..i appreciate it. i'm not good with software things...and i do have applecare

Sorry to hear that, I know the pain. I bought an expensive iMac with all bells and whistles beginning this year. To get rid of Windows 10 and its problems. Became unworkable. Luckily I choose a normal HD (with some small part of ssd cache). So I am on the safe side. But man, 10TB written in such a short time is a LOT. I would contact Apple immediately, since most ssd manufacturers only guarantee their ssd’s for written data of about 5 TB per YEAR! This ###### deep :-(

• Petre
    edited August 2018

Just remove the AV from your system, until a better version comes along. I’m afraid that, the most recent version hasn’t had the time needed to go through serious testing. 

The most disappointing thing is that, no one from Bitdefender support, will suggest removing the software in order to protect your machine. 

A little bit of acknowledgement for a faulty software, hasn’t killed anyone yet, Bitty!

• 16 minutes ago, ron70 said:

Sorry to hear that, I know the pain. I bought an expensive iMac with all bells and whistles beginning this year. To get rid of Windows 10 and its problems. Became unworkable. Luckily I choose a normal HD (with some small part of ssd cache). So I am on the safe side. But man, 10TB written in such a short time is a LOT. I would contact Apple immediately, since most ssd manufacturers only guarantee their ssd’s for written data of about 5 TB per YEAR! This ###### deep :-(

OMG! this truly does ######.... i wanted out of windows too cuz i got hacked! that's why i got BD! and basically is the only thing that's even written to my ssd. thank you..i will call apple... ugh

• 3 minutes ago, Petre said:

Just remove the AV from your system, until a better version comes along. I’m afraid that, the most recent version hasn’t had the time needed to go through serious testing. 

The most disappointing thing is that, no one from Bitdefender support, will suggest removing the software in order to protect your machine. 

A little bit of acknowledgement for a faulty software, hasn’t killed anyone yet, Bitty!

thank you...now my problem (other than a potentially spent ssd) is i was hacked last year.  i have no idea WHAT nor the funds to purchase ANOTHER AV... i'm really stuck in a bad place

• 9 minutes ago, Petre said:

True, this tool should be immediately removed to avoid further damage to ssd’s. However, in my case, I can’t run without a scanner because of the work I do. So I hope Bitdefender will come up with a solution within a few hours. If not, I will look for another scanner. 

• 7 minutes ago, corneredcat said:

OMG! this truly does ######.... i wanted out of windows too cuz i got hacked! that's why i got BD! and basically is the only thing that's even written to my ssd. thank you..i will call apple... ugh

Please let us know what Apple tells you. If they say it’s no problem, that will be good news for everyone here. For the rest I hope that developers are working 24/7 right now to solve this bug. Even if only a few percent of users is hit by it, it means hundreds if not thousands or more ssd-based systems are being damaged right now. Actually, there are virusses that do exactly such things to destruct hardware in a sneaky way. The irony. Sad.

• 2 minutes ago, ron70 said:

Please let us know what Apple tells you. If they say it’s no problem, that will be good news for everyone here. For the rest I hope that developers are working 24/7 right now to solve this bug. Even if only a few percent of users is hit by it, it means hundreds if not thousands or more ssd-based systems are being damaged right now. Actually, there are virusses that do exactly such things to destruct hardware in a sneaky way. The irony. Sad.

exactly...i doubt i'm a minority with this. ppl just don't know what's going on with their system..like me...i was blaming utube!  i can't get to it until later tomorrow at least...poss wednesday...but i will report back. right now i need to fix this, i won't turn my cmptr on without AV.   

• ron70
    edited August 2018

Wow... bdagentd is now at around 80% cpu time, in the last 10 minutes 50 GB data was written. This starts to be really scary. :-( and thats after a clean install. Fans start blowing louder and louder. This is very ugly!