Performance

I have used Bitdefender products for years.  No problem last year with Total Security 2018.  But I have now installed Total Security 2019, and the performance of my computer is terrible, especially opening Firefox, opening some types of document.  I have already raised a support issue about Safe Files not working.

Has anyone else noticed a significant performance impact.  I mean significant - my computer is almost unusable now.

Tagged:

Comments

• I did a test.  I uninstalled Bitdefender.  It takes 1-2 seconds to open Firefox without Bitdefender, and another second to get the to BBC home page.  With Bitdefender installed, it takes 15 seconds to open Firefox, and another 15 seconds to get to the BBC home page. I tried this test several times. No other activity ongoing.

This is a remarkable impact on performance, and really is not acceptable.

• Cosmin P.
    Cosmin P. QA Engineer ✭✭✭

While reproducing this issue, could you please open Task Manager -> Details, sort by Memory (Private Working Set), take a screenshot and either upload it here or send it to me via PM?

It would also help if you could select 2 more columns in task manager that aren't shown by default - threads and handles.

Thank you!

• On 8/18/2018 at 7:10 PM, Paul SSS said:

I did a test.  I uninstalled Bitdefender.  It takes 1-2 seconds to open Firefox without Bitdefender, and another second to get the to BBC home page.  With Bitdefender installed, it takes 15 seconds to open Firefox, and another 15 seconds to get to the BBC home page. I tried this test several times. No other activity ongoing.

This is a remarkable impact on performance, and really is not acceptable. 

Hi,

Does the issue still occur if you disable Encrypted Web Scan?

Open Bitdefender > click on Protection > click settings under Online Threat Prevention > disable Encrypted Web Scan.

Thank you.

• Paul SSS
    Paul SSS
    edited August 2018

Bitdefender is impacting all browsers and also Thunderbird

With module enabled

IE 8-9 seconds

Edge 1-13 seconds (Edge starts loading after 1, and web page is fully rendered by 13)

Firefox 13-22 seconds

Thunderbird 8 seconds

With module disabled

IE 1-2 seconds

Edge 1-2 seconds

Firefox 1-5 seconds

Thunderbird 4 seconds

A significant difference. 

And generally the computer slows down with module enabled and Firefox open.

I accept there will be some impact, but this is an unaccetable performance impact from what should be a market leading product.

• Cosmin P.

On 8/20/2018 at 2:31 PM, Cosmin P. said:

While reproducing this issue, could you please open Task Manager -> Details, sort by Memory (Private Working Set), take a screenshot and either upload it here or send it to me via PM?

It would also help if you could select 2 more columns in task manager that aren't shown by default - threads and handles.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Paul SSS said:

I have been discussing with support, and they told me to rename mitm.dll in safe mode, effectively disabling this dll - this disables part of the browser traffic scan.

Bitdefender is impacting all browsers and also Thunderbird

With module enabled

IE 8-9 seconds

Edge 1-13 seconds (Edge starts loading after 1, and web page is fully rendered by 13)

Firefox 13-22 seconds

Thunderbird 8 seconds

With module disabled

IE 1-2 seconds

Edge 1-2 seconds

Firefox 1-5 seconds

Thunderbird 4 seconds

A significant difference. 

And generally the computer slows down with module enabled and Firefox open.

I accept there will be some impact, but this is an unaccetable performance impact from what should be a market leading product.

Could you please try to take a screenshot of the involved processes in task manager? Firefox, Thunderbird and vsserv?

Also please try taking another screenshot while sorting the processes by their memory usage.

In order to show threads and handles as I said before, you have to right click in task manager on any column -> select columns -> find threads and mark it -> find handles and mark it.

Thank you. :) 

• Must agree on that with online threat detection  (web protection on) firefox lag like . Every page that i open freeze for like 4-5 seconds.

• OK generally my pc is slowdown when i have installed Internet Security 2019. I make some tests and wht load almost instantly like many folders with images with IS19 take almost four minutes. Also protected folders cannot be accessed and IS19 dont prompt me to add new application.

• I have this problem too. With 2019 total security EVERYTHING I try to open takes seconds to load (cmd, explorer, web browsers, ping command etc.), even all protection disabled. When I eg. týpe cmd to start menu and press enter it just takes seconds to open command prompt. Everything works fine with 2018, or without BD, OR If I open something fast @ reboot BEFORE bitdefender loads. Had to uninstall 2019 and now my Subscription is running without protection :(.

Specs:

Newest win10 pro with all updates

i5 6600K

16Gig 2666Mhz ram

Geforce 1070

500Gig Sata SSD

• Cosmin P.
    edited September 2018

Hello,

Do you have a master password set in firefox? If so, could you please try removing the password and reproduce the issue?

Also, while reproducing the issue, could you please use our support tool and PM me the generated logs? Here's how: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/8919/ 

And one more thing, how many firefox profile do you currently have?

Thank you!

• This is a universal issue with this rushed version.

• Hi,

We are aware of the system slowdown when Firefox and Bitdefender 2019 are running on some PCs and we will patch up this situation in an upcoming update. According to our tests, the issue appears after starting Firefox. In the meantime, you can either avoid using this browser or temporarily uninstall Firefox and switch to a different browser such as Chrome, Opera, etc.

Thanks!

• I decide to create an account on this forum.

Performance after update from 2018 TS to 2019 TS is poor (update is forced! and silent!, very bad situation).

My PC spec: i7-4770 / 24GB RAM / 500 GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO / MBR from Fujitsu / 1TB HDD for Storage / GTX 960 4GB VRAM

So it's very good configuration. Turning on every application is terrible. Firefox shows blank screen for 30 seconds. Irfan View turns on after 5 second (every process!), before update in miliseconds. Media Player Home Cinema turns after 10 seconds, before 1 second. System Settings, first run 10 seconds (next is good).

I decide a month ago a to buy a new license. At what capacity I will ask for a refund because a key is not used.

PS

Scan SSL -> It's a mistake. This function is from space? FF/Chrome/Other browsers slow down totally. Nobody is testing this with you.

Please watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alF3TPKvhdo

JPG is loading from SSD, IrfanView too. Before update it lasted in miliseconds or 0,5 second (like a measurement error).

• On 9/17/2018 at 3:44 PM, Stefan I. said:

Hi,

We are aware of the system slowdown when Firefox and Bitdefender 2019 are running on some PCs and we will patch up this situation in an upcoming update. According to our tests, the issue appears after starting Firefox. In the meantime, you can either avoid using this browser or temporarily uninstall Firefox and switch to a different browser such as Chrome, Opera, etc.

Thanks!

It's a joke :)

Don't use windows because ... (write something).

Don't use Bitdefender because a student (programmer) wrote buggy software :)

Jesus Christ...

• Any update from devs?

• I also found that Bitdefender 2019 was draining my laptop's battery more quickly than other AV programs did.

• Danny_4
    edited October 2018

Same extremely poor performance after upgrading from BitDefender 2018 Internet Security to the 2019 version..

As specified by other users, and contrary to what was said by Technical Support above, the issue is not specific to Firefox.

I see poor performance overall opening all windows. For instance, I see poor performance in Chrome.

My "Encrypted web scan" was disabled to begin with. Web protection was disabled in BD 2018 before the upgrade, and remained the same after the upgrade.

I also see additional issues after upgrading to 2019:

I've an external HDD drive connected through USB. Ever since I upgraded to BD 2019, I can't eject the drive. When I try to eject, Windows keep telling me "The Device is currently in use", even through all applications using it were shut down. This problem started immediately after upgrading BD to 2019, and never happened with BD 2018, therefore I am fairly sure BD 2019 is the one locking the drive and causing the problem.

• Pudel
    edited October 2018

On 9/17/2018 at 3:44 PM, Stefan I. said:

Hi,

Thanks!

What about this problem?

Workaround is still not funny...

• I decided to assume a ticket with refund. After a two weeks with BD 2019 i have a one request to Team. Withdraw a product from store and decide to change channel from paid to free.

Writing such software for money is a lack of respect for the user.

Two weeks and still does not work properly with Firefox...

Bye Bitdefender :)

• On 9/12/2018 at 4:35 AM, Cosmin P. said:

Hello,

Do you have a master password set in firefox? If so, could you please try removing the password and reproduce the issue?

Also, while reproducing the issue, could you please use our support tool and PM me the generated logs? Here's how: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/8919/ 

And one more thing, how many firefox profile do you currently have?

Thank you!

I rec'd the following instruction from BD re:support tool

1. Support Tool log

2. Autoruns log

1. How to generate a Support Tool log:

- Navigate to this location: C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security

- Search for supporttool.exe;

- Right click on it and Run as Administrator;

- Wait until the process in completed and send us as a reply to this message, the BDSP_ file generated on your Desktop;Should Bitdefender not be installed, please download the support tool log from the following location: http://bitdefender.com/diagnostic.

I spent almost an hr explaining the above resulted in a window that needed info entered in order to generate the BDSP file. Response to my problem was unsatisfactory- be very careful exposing your wallet files to BD!!

• On 10/2/2018 at 3:58 PM, Pudel said:

What about this problem?

Workaround is still not funny...

BD says in interest of security, use Chrome not firefox  r u kidding?

This discussion has been closed.