Slowing down with the total safety of Bitdefender 2019!

Hello, I've been using Bitdefender solutions for some time without a problem! Lately after the installation of suite 2019, I noticed a serious slowdown in the use of my PC! The start, stop are slowed down, launch any application, open a tab in my browser, nothing answers instantly !

It's been almost a week since I opened an unanswered ticket!

I had had enough, today I uninstalled with the special Bitdefender utility, found my previous fast PC, and reinstalled the security suite to immediately find myself with the same problem!

I don't know what to do anymore, I can't stay unprotected, but my PC has become so unpleasant to use with this software!

Comments

• Hi

I also found slowdown with 2019 Total Security - chrome was sluggish and loading web pages was very slow.

Computer is ASUS Zenbook with m5-6y54 CPU. 8GB Ram.

As there was also the issue of it not allowing me to eject my backup drive, I downgraded to 2018 and that is good.

Cheers!

• Hello,

Please write us at bitsy@bitdefender.com with a full description of the situation, a Bitdefender Support tool log and a few screenshots displaying the usage from Task Manager so we can further analyze this situation.

[How to generate a Bitdefender Support tool log]

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1733/

[how to capture a SCREENSHOT]

Thank you and have a nice day ahead!

• 6 hours ago, Moggy said:

Hi

I also found slowdown with 2019 Total Security - chrome was sluggish and loading web pages was very slow.

Computer is ASUS Zenbook with m5-6y54 CPU. 8GB Ram.

As there was also the issue of it not allowing me to eject my backup drive, I downgraded to 2018 and that is good.

Cheers!

Thank you to you! I've been opening a ticket for a while now with Bitdefender customer service! Without concrete results....

It made me slow down my PC (I7 6850K/32 Gb Ram/970 Pro 500Gb), to such an extent that I have been running since then with a trial version of Kaspersky Total Security 2019 that runs perfectly! Hopefully this problem will be solved at the end of the evaluation period!

Unfortunately, I didn't keep my installation files of the Bitdefender Total Security 2018 version, otherwise I would have done as you did!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

• Hi Again

I installed 2019 again and did not see a significant slow down this time. Load times for web pages were similar to 2018. I guess there was some other factor the first time.

Cheers!

• 13 hours ago, Novaescorpion said:

Thank you to you! I've been opening a ticket for a while now with Bitdefender customer service! Without concrete results....

It made me slow down my PC (I7 6850K/32 Gb Ram/970 Pro 500Gb), to such an extent that I have been running since then with a trial version of Kaspersky Total Security 2019 that runs perfectly! Hopefully this problem will be solved at the end of the evaluation period!

Unfortunately, I didn't keep my installation files of the Bitdefender Total Security 2018 version, otherwise I would have done as you did!

Hi Novaescorpion

There is a web site with downgrade instructions. Try search

"Bitdefender 2017 & 2018 offline download and installation"

Hope you get your situation resolved. I once had Malwarebytes running at the same time and it really slowed my computer.

Cheers

• Glad for you that this is solved! It wasn't just the internet browsing but my whole machine that was rowing hard... I'll try your solution, not even proposed by Bitdefender, after all it worked with the 2018!

Thank you very much for your help! :)

• My entire machine has been slowing down and system resources going through the roof!  I get a running low on memory error when I run System Mechanic and I've never had that come up in the software in the 3 years I've used System Mechanic!  It seems like things are massively wrong with the 2019 line of Bitedefender products.  It is causingf issues and problems that I've never seen a Security software program ever do. 

I think the development team needs to give us a link to revert back to the 2018 line of Bitdefender products and start from scratch on the 2019 line before releasing it back to us consumers.  I posted about a USB issue going on and I've been reading the other topics posted with issues all over the place due to the 2019 line of Bitdefender products causing you to lose customers!

I think the entire 2019 product line needs to be pulled!

• Well, I thought, unfortunately for me, I thought I was an isolated case, but I really agree with you they should at least propose an official solution to downgrade to 2018 versions! It's not serious, frankly I don't have all that to do to install uninstall to see! I didn't pay to test a beta version!

• Cosmin P.
    Cosmin P. QA Engineer ✭✭✭

On 8/10/2018 at 9:12 PM, Novaescorpion said:

Hello, I've been using Bitdefender solutions for some time without a problem! Lately after the installation of suite 2019, I noticed a serious slowdown in the use of my PC! The start, stop are slowed down, launch any application, open a tab in my browser, nothing answers instantly !

It's been almost a week since I opened an unanswered ticket!

I had had enough, today I uninstalled with the special Bitdefender utility, found my previous fast PC, and reinstalled the security suite to immediately find myself with the same problem!

I don't know what to do anymore, I can't stay unprotected, but my PC has become so unpleasant to use with this software!

On 9/11/2018 at 1:51 AM, Moggy said:

Hi Again

I installed 2019 again and did not see a significant slow down this time. Load times for web pages were similar to 2018. I guess there was some other factor the first time.

Cheers!

Hello,

On which browser do you experience the slowdown?

• Hello, I'm personally I'm on Firefox, but this is not just a simple slowdown on the browser, it's the whole system that starts to slow down with BD TS 2019!

Moreover with DB TS 2018 or Kaspersky TS 2019 everything works perfectly!

It's as soon as I put on this new safety suit that it doesn't work at all!

• Cosmin P.

Do you have a master password set in firefox?

• Hello ! Yes, which has never been a problem with Bitdefender TS 2018 and Kasperky TS 2019...

• Cosmin P.

Could you please use our support tool while reproducing this issue, upload the logs on google drive and PM me the link? Here's how to use our support tool: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/8919/

Thank you!

• I dfon't have a password setup in firefox!  This is a whole system issue with slowdowns and hogging system resources and CPU!  Like I said above, I'm getting low memory available errors in System Mechanic which I've never gotten in the 3 years of using the software until I updated to Internet Security 2019!

This version has so many flaws and bugs it's like we all paid for a Beta version of a crappy program!  Every time the development actually fixes something which is taking forever lately, that fix causes other issues and problems to arise!  I've never seen a security suite program act the way version 2019 does as a system whole!  A lot of these problems started after the Update error fix was implemented!  That's when the USB problem started and possibly this system resource hogging but can't say that for sure!  My computer was running sluggish after I updated to the 2019 version so it could've been going on from the start for me!  I think this version needs to be pulled and redone from scratch!

Every day and multiple times a day more and more topics and threads are opened due to the 2019 version of your product!  Please communicate that to the development team that this version is massively flawed and buggy!

• Hello, thank you Cosmin.P ! Well, honestly I still have 10 days of free Kaspersky trial, and frankly I don't have the time or patience to uninstall and reinstall to realize that it's the same as before! I'd probably do it at the end of the current trial license and then if I realized it was the same, I'd put back the 2018 version and stop with the 2019 suite!

If as Jay-Z above says, I'm not the only one having problems with this 2019 version, I'd like you to seriously review your product, I'm not your bêta tester, I paid a license fee for a functional product, not for a bug collection called "Security Suite"

Thank's again !

• I am also having the same problem on multiple devices. I have this installed on myself and 3 other household family members computers and we are all experiencing massive slow down spikes at random times. There does not seem to be any significant thing that starts it and no specific programs that are running. It got to the point that opening a simple Microsoft Paint or Notepad program was taking nearly 10 seconds.

In task manager the processor was also permenantely above 90% usage when no programs were open other than the basics that I was using to test the slow down. The main program using resources was the bitdefender's "bdagent"  using nearly 1gb of ram also at the same time. Some times the computers run perfect and then all of a sudden for no reason the massive lag spikes start and cripples the computers speed. The only way to sort this is a restart.

I also would prefer not to be forced into what feels like a beta testing period. I have used Bitdefender for 8+ years and I always hold off installing the new versions until nearer the end of the year as they are usually full of bugs that sometimes have left me with a loss of basic pc functions. But suddenly this has forced itself onto myself and the other family members computers without an option. Thankfully I can manage problems myself but my elderly parents cannot and require me to fix any issues this is causing each time.

• Thank you for your comments! Usually, it is always necessary for me to get the new version manually, the program always seems to persist in refusing to automatically switch to the latest versions!

This time, the program updated itself, after advising me to restart, I found myself with a surprise in the BD TS 2019 version!

Unfortunately for me, that's when the trouble started too!

I had spent years at Bitdefender, then I left them because of bugs, especially the program which in the long run didn't seem to be operational anymore by refusing to load its modules as they went along..... I had spent a few years at KASPERSKY, but honestly the price of licenses for several workstations and 2 years in a row are much less competitive than at BITDEFENDER.....

But frankly it worries me, I still have 3 more days of tests at KASPERSKY, and I don't see myself starting all this installation work again to find myself again with a PC that is rowing....

• activity
    activity
    edited September 2018

oh hello hello, year pass and we meet again with problem after updating to new "year", year before was atc.sys eating cpu, now we have i dont now even what because after bitdefender update to 2019 every aplication start soooooo slow, i click settings on pc this take 10 sec to load up i click discord 10 sec pass oh wow you start up, i click new tab on firefox evrything hangs up seconds pass and yea... load. Fixing atc.sys take six months i hope this take faster because this is soo f*** bulshit.

• Hi, 

There is an issue currently that causes slowdown on some systems on which Firefox is installed. The slowdown starts after login, and after starting Firefox, and persists even after Firefox is closed.

Could you test if the above applies for you? If it's not too much of a hassle, the definitive test would be to temporarily uninstall Firefox to see if the slowdown persists afterwards.

• 1 hour ago, Sergiu C. said:

Hi, 

There is an issue currently that causes slowdown on some systems on which Firefox is installed. The slowdown starts after login, and after starting Firefox, and persists even after Firefox is closed.

Could you test if the above applies for you? If it's not too much of a hassle, the definitive test would be to temporarily uninstall Firefox to see if the slowdown persists afterwards.

I have this issue as well on one of my systems with BDIS. Up until now, I thought is was because the machine in question only has 4GBs of RAM. It doesn't happen every time, it's a seemingly intermittent issue.

• 1 hour ago, coldlinks@mail.com said:

I have this issue as well on one of my systems with BDIS. Up until now, I thought is was because the machine in question only has 4GBs of RAM. It doesn't happen every time, it's a seemingly intermittent issue.

Hi, 

Do you have Firefox installed? Have you tried what I mentioned above? 

Thanks!

• 9 minutes ago, Sergiu C. said:

Hi, 

Do you have Firefox installed? Have you tried what I mentioned above? 

Thanks!

Yes, I do, but I haven't tried anything yet. I actually use Firefox far more than any other browser though. Should I be able to confirm Firefox is the issue, is there a fix for it at this point?

• 18 minutes ago, coldlinks@mail.com said:

Yes, I do, but I haven't tried anything yet. I actually use Firefox far more than any other browser though. Should I be able to confirm Firefox is the issue, is there a fix for it at this point?

Please try the following steps:

1. Open Bitdefender 

2. Click on Protection

3. Click Settings under Online Threat Prevention and turn off Encrypted Web Scan

4. Restart PC and check if the slowdown still appears after opening Firefox (assuming this is indeed the issue).

Also, these steps have worked to solve the issue for some users (but not all):

1. Uninstall Firefox

2. Click the Windows Start button and type in %APPDATA% in the search bar then click OK.

3. Check to see if the Mozilla folder still exists and delete the Firefox folder.

4. Now go to https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/ , download and run a new Firefox kit from here.

• Hi! Okay, for you the problem is Firefox? Now, how do I take this?

- Firefox/Bitdefender Total Security 2018: OK!

- Firefox/Bitdefender Total Security 2019 : NOT OK!

- Firefox/Kaspersky Total Security 2019: OK !

Seen like that, I would say that the problem (provided of course that it is the problem!) is not Firefox but Bitdefender TS 2019, right?

You don't think I'm going to change my browser to be able to use my PC properly!

You received money from GOOGLE to make sure that as many people as possible install CHROME, or what? :):):)

That's ######!

So tell your programmers to do their job properly, and avoid confusing clients who pay for their licenses with beta testers, thank you!

And if they fail to do so, they finally give us a chance to downgrade properly to Total Security 2018, which was working well.

Thank you again!

• /index.php?/profile/214500-novaescorpion/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="214500" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/214500-novaescorpion/" style="" rel="">@Novaescorpion

I was not trying to imply that the issue is caused by Firefox, I am only trying to determine what the exact issue is for everyone who has encountered this slow-down after upgrading to Bitdefender 2019. 

The bug I described is being investigated and we are looking for a solution, we do not consider that it is in any way alright for the product to not be completely compatible with Mozilla Firefox. 

• All right, okay!  In the meantime I have 3 days left on Kaspersky, do you have an official link to give me to come back to Total Security 2018 version? That would have been really nice! :)

I really don't want to do the 2019 installation and then uninstall it with a ton of unnecessary manipulations, if it still doesn't work!

I'll come back to that when it's really settled...

Thank's a lot !

• Poizen
    edited September 2018

My problem does not seem to specifically be with firefox being opened or running. The slow downs are random and rare at occuring. I use firefox daily/whenever my pc is on and most of the time it is running without issue. Similar to my family members they all have firefox but use the computers regularly and most of the time have no issues at all.

The times when the slow down started firefox had been open for some time and I had also been playing games without any issue. It just seemed to suddenly happen and the processor then jumped up and got stuck at 90%+ in task manager.

I have not managed to reproduce the slow downs and so far firefox has been used daily and the slow down doesn't seem to happen. So far after my most recent one the system has ran without issue. It has only been other family members that it has popped up every now and then.

• 18 minutes ago, Novaescorpion said:

All right, okay!  In the meantime I have 3 days left on Kaspersky, do you have an official link to give me to come back to Total Security 2018 version? That would have been really nice! :)

I really don't want to do the 2019 installation and then uninstall it with a ton of unnecessary manipulations, if it still doesn't work!

I'll come back to that when it's really settled...

Thank's a lot !

Installing Bitdefender 2018 is no longer possible unfortunately. 

7 minutes ago, Poizen said:

My problem does not seem to specifically be with firefox being opened or running. The slow downs are random and rare at occuring. I use firefox daily/whenever my pc is on and most of the time it is running without issue. Similar to my family members they all have firefox but use the computers regularly and most of the time have no issues at all.

The times when the slow down started firefox had been open for some time and I had also been playing games without any issue. It just seemed to suddenly happen and the processor then jumped up and got stuck at 90%+ in task manager.

I have not managed to reproduce the slow downs and so far firefox has been used daily and the slow down doesn't seem to happen. So far after my most recent one the system has ran without issue. It has only been other family members that it has popped up every now and then.

This does sound like a different issue. In this case we would need a support tool log created while the issue is being reproduced, and it would also help to try and disable Bitdefender protection features while the slowdown is occurring to try and isolate the issue to a single feature (this may not be possible)

[how to disable Bitdefender]

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/13426/

[how to create a Support Tool log]

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/8919/

Note: you should click on the "Try to reproduce the issue" as mentioned in step 6 in the above article as this gathers additional logs.

Should you create the logs, please send them together with a description of the issue and a few screenshots from Task Manager at bitsy@bitdefender.com 

• activity
    activity
    edited September 2018

21 hours ago, Sergiu C. said:

Please try the following steps:

1. Open Bitdefender 

2. Click on Protection

3. Click Settings under Online Threat Prevention and turn off Encrypted Web Scan

4. Restart PC and check if the slowdown still appears after opening Firefox (assuming this is indeed the issue).

Also, these steps have worked to solve the issue for some users (but not all):

1. Uninstall Firefox

2. Click the Windows Start button and type in %APPDATA% in the search bar then click OK.

3. Check to see if the Mozilla folder still exists and delete the Firefox folder.

4. Now go to https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/ , download and run a new Firefox kit from here.

Turning off Encrypted Web Scan is working for me, no slowdowns on pc running around 10h (i didn't touch any firefox stuff).

• Bitdefender's filth! Kaspersky is finished, after a month I tried again! A real mess!

I did everything you proposed!  Disable the restart function of encrypted web scanning Restart PC ZERO !

I deleted FIREFOX, I was bored restarting and restoring my profile to avoid losing my data!

Result ZERO!

I'm sick of this rotten antivirus! MY JERKY PC SLOWS YOU DOWN SO MUCH WITH THIS SUITE, NOTHING TO DO!

You amateurs! I'm going to look elsewhere!

I've never been so upset with such a rotten antivirus!

PUT THE 2018 VERSION BACK ON THE TABLE! I can't believe you dare leave such a crappy suite online!

• I had to uninstall Bitdefender 2019 because I couldn't work at all.

I am using Firefox but it is not opened when slowdown is in progress.

Encrypted Web Scan was OFF.

After PC restart I am not opening Firefox and again all was slow.

Opened ticket couple of days ago with no answer yet.

• Hi! I gave up! After a month of Kaspersky TS 2019 test that does not slow down my machine, but slows down Internet browsing, I test ESET SMART SECURITY PREMIUM, which to my great surprise is fast and does not take much time to update its antivirus databases!

Finally this bad experience allows me to see that there is something better elsewhere than always the same ones that get heavier and are full of bugs! :)

This discussion has been closed.