2019 'stuck' at 49%

I can see it's not really stuck at 49% but after attempting this twice the full scan gets to 49% and then loiters there for well over an hour (it's actually been running now for over 9 hours, and the previous was about 7 or 8 before I rebooted) - it is still sat there. I'm happy to wait but it's not very informative to get to a point and then not increment - the first 9% flies by. I suggest that a simple file count done/total file count ought to be easy enough? FYI no other security programs are installed/enabled before anyone suggests that's the reason.

Tagged:

Comments

• Update: exactly 1 hour on and still 49% despite having scanned 60,000+ more items (I think)

On 11/27/2018 at 12:15 PM, Paul_te said:

Update: exactly 1 hour on and still 49% despite having scanned 60,000+ more items (I think)

...and another hour later: 2 million more files scanned, and it's still at 49%

On 11/27/2018 at 1:55 PM, Paul_te said:

...and another hour later: 2 million more files scanned, and it's still at 49%

13 hours on and it's still at 49% despite the fact that it's now at least 4 hours since I first saw 49% and that it's done over 4 million files in the last 2 and a half hours!

CropperCapture[189].jpg

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

/index.php?/profile/215492-paul_te/" data-ipshover-target="https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?/profile/215492-paul_te/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="215492" rel="">@Paul_te

Welcome to the Bitdefender Forums.  I see this behavior all of the time with my desktop computer because it has four internal hard drives, two of which I have exempted from System Scans because they only contain Macrium and Easeus backup images.  I don't see this behavior with my laptop because it has only one internal hard drive.  My desktop BDTS system scans progress very nicely until it hits 45 or 46 percent, and then it hangs there for ages, while the scanning continues.  Then towards the end of the scan (about 4 million files on both drives), the scan progress indicator races ahead rapidly to 100 percent complete within minutes.

My guess is that you might have multiple internal and/or external connected hard drives, so Bitdefender, for some reason, can not make an accurate estimate of the scan progress for the multiple drives.

If you have a slower mechanical HDD, that will increase scan times, as will a less powerful CPU and limited RAM.  My desktop has an i7 Intel CPU, overclocked to 4.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM, and my C: drive is a Samsung 850 Pro 1 TB SSD.  System scans take just over an hour on my desktop.

I note in the screenshot you posted that Bitdefender has detected malware and resolved some of the infections.  This will negatively impact scan times as well, since BD has to identify and deal with the infected files/registry keys.

I think that you will have to be patient.  Also, it is worth noting that the initial System Scan is always slower than subsequent scans because BD is "learning" your computer.

Let us know how it all turns out.  Good luck and have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• Paul_te
    edited November 2018

/index.php?/profile/175943-garioch7/&do=hovercard&referrer=https%253A%252F%252Fforum.bitdefender.com%252Findex.php%253F%252Ftopic%252F80121-2019-stuck-at-49%252F%2526tab%253Dcomments" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/175943-garioch7/" rel="" title="Go to garioch7's profile">garioch7

Yeah - one large SSD, six HDDs (two which are disabled, so exempt) and three external HDDs (all >1TB).

Not a problem with the time taken, just it's a poor show to still be showing 49% for well over the last 9 hours when it had reached 49% in the first 9 hours - I'd be happier if it's only said 25% when I woke up this morning! :D

Anyway, thanks for the moral support.

Regards,

Paul

Lol - it was still at 49% a little while after my last post and then I see it's finished! I'm liking the prodiuct but TBH this smacks of shoddy coding/lack of awareness of the variety of PCs out there

• garioch7

/index.php?/profile/215492-paul_te/" data-ipshover-target="https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?/profile/215492-paul_te/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="215492" rel="">@Paul_te

I am glad that your system scan did successfully finish.  I have previously made the suggestion that the scan progress indicator should be improved to be able to provide a reasonably accurate approximate estimate of scan times when there are multiple internal HDDs/SSDs.

I am not sure that the BD developers are working on improving that functionality.  It is not a critical issue, by any means, just a "nice to have."

Have a great day, and welcome again to the Bitdefender Forums and family.

Regards,

-Phil

• On 11/27/2018 at 8:31 PM, Paul_te said:

/index.php?/profile/175943-garioch7/&do=hovercard&referrer=https%253A%252F%252Fforum.bitdefender.com%252Findex.php%253F%252Ftopic%252F80121-2019-stuck-at-49%252F%2526tab%253Dcomments" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/175943-garioch7/" rel="" title="Go to garioch7's profile">garioch7

Yeah - one large SSD, six HDDs (two which are disabled, so exempt) and three external HDDs (all >1TB).

Not a problem with the time taken, just it's a poor show to still be showing 49% for well over the last 9 hours when it had reached 49% in the first 9 hours - I'd be happier if it's only said 25% when I woke up this morning! :D

Anyway, thanks for the moral support.

Regards,

Paul

Lol - it was still at 49% a little while after my last post and then I see it's finished! I'm liking the prodiuct but TBH this smacks of shoddy coding/lack of awareness of the variety of PCs out there

Hi,

We are glad to hear that the Scan completed. It is just a visual glitch. The scan seems stuck, but the the product it is scanning. We have reported this glitch to our development team and they are working on a fix.

• garioch7

/index.php?/profile/212173-roxana-g/" data-ipshover-target="https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?/profile/212173-roxana-g/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="212173" rel="">@Roxana G

I am really happy to hear that your developers are working on fixing the scan progress glitch for computers with more than one internal drive when running a system scan.  Thank you.

I look forward to that version being released.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

• 18 hours ago, Roxana G said:

Hi,

We are glad to hear that the Scan completed. It is just a visual glitch. The scan seems stuck, but the the product it is scanning. We have reported this glitch to our development team and they are working on a fix.

Ah, that's good to hear. Thanks for the feedback.

This discussion has been closed.