2019 System Scan 'stuck' at 4%

John B.
edited November 2018 in General

Normally when a System Scan starts, it churns through the files at a reasonable rate, finishing the scan of my single hard drive in about an hour or less. Today it started, then stalled at 4%, displaying:

File: c:\Windows\System32\wshbth.dll (which is a 32 kb file)

Scanned items: 237 (and not increasing)

Elapsed time: 24:12 (and increasing)

The hard drive light is not solid green (which it usually is during a system scan), but is in fact mostly off unless I do something else in some other program to access the hard drive.

I updated Bitdefender Total Security 2019 and restarted the computer, but nothing changes. The display in the Full System Scan window does not change except for the elapsed time. A Quick Scan runs and completes with no problem. Previous System Scans completed successfully.

Edit >> Windows 10 Pro, fully updated.

I haven't changed anything on my computer recently. Is this a Bitdefender problem?

Thanks,

John B.

Tagged:

Comments

• Hi John,

Please try running a CCleaner and a sfc / scannow and then try again to perform a System Scan

Let us know how it goes.

• Hi Roxana G,

Downloaded the latest CCleaner and ran it, clearing out application data and problems in the Windows Registry.

Ran sfc with no problems

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

In Bitdefender, clicked Protection, then clicked System Scan. The Full System Scan window appeared with the old scan running.

Still stalled at 4%, displaying:

Scanned items: 237 (and not increasing)

Elapsed time: 2:20:48 (and increasing)

No hard drive activity that would indicate scanning.

Thanks,

John B.

• Hi, 

Can you try doing a contextual scan on the file itself?

Go to: c:\Windows\System32\ , right click on wshbth.dll and choose Bitdefender > Scan with Bitdefender. 

Let us know if the file can be scanned in this way, if yes, please try a new system scan. 

Thank you!

• Hi Sergiu C,

The context scan on the wshbth.dll file worked, no problems. To check if the scan was getting stuck on the next file, I tried the next several files in the directory (sorted by alphabet), with no problems. Actually I do not have any idea which file would be scanned next, so that was just guessing ;-)

I tried System Scan again, but it was still stuck on the old scan at 4%, no change.

So I rebooted, tried System Scan again, and got the same result: System Scan started at 0%, but then got stuck at 4% again.

Scanned items: 233 (and not increasing)

Elapsed time: 15:43 (and increasing)

Resolved: 0

Unresolved items:0

Password protected:0

Thanks,

John B.

• Hello, 

Can you send us a support tool log at bitsy@bitdefender.com please? 

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/8919/

Please post here once you've sent the email, so that we can look for the case in our system. 

Thanks!

• Hi Sergiu C,

I have run the support tool, generated the support log, and emailed it to bitsy@bitdefender.com. By the way, the name of the last file displayed changed from wshbth.dll to urirbbonres.dll, but the scan stuck at 4% again with all the same symptoms. A Bitdefender context scan of urirbbonres.dll worked with no problems.

Is there any way to reset the System Scan to 0% after cancelling the scan, without rebooting the computer? If I do not reboot and restart the System Scan again, it is still stuck on the old scan at 4%, no change.

Thank you for your help.

John B.

• Here the same problem 2019 system scan "stuck" at 4%. Several times Bitdefender TS removed with uninstall tool and reinstalled. Latest version of CCleaner and sfc / scannow performed. After all operations, BD TS still stops at 4% with a different file name each time. Manual scanning of the file does not cause problems. Quick scan is well done via dashboad. Sorry for my bad English.

• Hi all,

I have been experiencing the same problem this evening-my full system scans get stuck at 4% and do not seem to progress any further.  Is there any word on what's causing this or any solutions?

Thanks for your help.

Beck

• Hoss1310
    Hoss1310 ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Same problem here, stuck at 4%, can't even stop the scan, just go on and on.

Did a reinstall of Bitdefender IS and all worked perfect, after first BD update same problem, stuck again on 4% and can't stop scan

• I also have this problem, system scan stuck at 4% and custom scan at 3%. Reinstalled twice now, as Hoss1310 mentions.......scanning is useless after first update........BD Total security 2019.

• Larry T
    edited December 2018

Same here.  Sent files yesterday and am waiting for reply.  Not great having a security program that won't run a scan.

• 14 hours ago, Hoss1310 said:

Same problem here, stuck at 4%, can't even stop the scan, just go on and on.

Did a reinstall of Bitdefender IS and all worked perfect, after first BD update same problem, stuck again on 4% and can't stop scan

Can also confirm the full system scan stall at 4%. It looks like it's an issue with the latest update. Re-install to a previous version makes the scan work like normal. 

Glad to know it's not my computer. Looks like it's time to look for a different anti-virus program.

• how do you get the previous version? do you mean 2018? or last build, like 2 days ago when everything was working fine?

• I came into the forum to search for help with the exact same problem with a manual full system scan (a manual quick scan ran fine) - 4% and stalling. I rebooted, restarted the scan and got the same result but it stalled on a different file. Using BD Total security 2019 on Windows 10 (version 1607).

This is very disturbing because I in the past I reported a problem with scheduled scans not running (still unsolved) so when I actually remembered to do a manual system scan this morning and it didn't work, I was not very happy and I'm definitely not looking forward to having to spend all week generating logs, uninstalling and reinstalling programs, etc.

Bitdefender, this is looking more and more like a problem coming from your side.

• Same problem here - 4% and no further.  Have re-installed Total Security and uninstalled a piece of new software (Microsoft) that I may or may not have put in since my last successful full scan. No change. Have sent BD a BDSP file as requested - no response. Looks very much like their problem.................................not overly impressed !!

Capture-1.JPG

• Just come across another (related ???)  problem in BD !  As I have reinstalled Total Security I have had to re-load all my bank details back into Safepay - now when I try to log into a bank account I get a message telling me that my bank is "Untrustworthy".............................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even less impressed now !!

• 41 minutes ago, moonrakerz said:

Just come across another (related ???)  problem in BD !  As I have reinstalled Total Security I have had to re-load all my bank details back into Safepay - now when I try to log into a bank account I get a message telling me that my bank is "Untrustworthy".............................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even less impressed now !!

Same problem here, most sites that I use are now suddenly "Untrustworthy"

I had to disable "encrypted web scan" ,It's this ore shut down my computer and read a book

• Hoss1310
    Hoss1310 ✭✭
    edited December 2018

1 hour ago, moonrakerz said:

Same problem here - 4% and no further.  Have re-installed Total Security and uninstalled a piece of new software (Microsoft) that I may or may not have put in since my last successful full scan. No change. Have sent BD a BDSP file as requested - no response. Looks very much like their problem.................................not overly impressed !!

Capture-1.JPG

Mine is already running 21:45:13, every time a start up mij PC thats the first thing I see on my desktop

• 3 hours ago, seagull said:

I came into the forum to search for help with the exact same problem with a manual full system scan (a manual quick scan ran fine) - 4% and stalling. I rebooted, restarted the scan and got the same result but it stalled on a different file. Using BD Total security 2019 on Windows 10 (version 1607).

This is very disturbing because I in the past I reported a problem with scheduled scans not running (still unsolved) so when I actually remembered to do a manual system scan this morning and it didn't work, I was not very happy and I'm definitely not looking forward to having to spend all week generating logs, uninstalling and reinstalling programs, etc.

Bitdefender, this is looking more and more like a problem coming from your side.

It's a problem with Bitdefender recent update. It is defiantly their side but they won't ever admit to it. May be best to switch to a different antivirus program till this solved, if at all.

• same

fresh install ..(i've used kaspersky for years.. might go back)

all the same symptoms as the other posters

scan stuck at 4%  

I used the Bitdefender Uninstal tool and restarted a few times..  this has helped... but should one really need this much messing about ...just to get a scan working?  Makes me wonder if other parts of the app are not working without me knowing?

there have been many other problems with the app in 24h

• glitchy program
    edited December 2018

• It's gone VERY quiet at Bitdefender HQ...............................say something - even if it's only "goodbye" !

• Yeah I restored a disk image and went back to Kaspersky ... Life's too short to beta test stuff..

• 3 hours ago, moonrakerz said:

It's gone VERY quiet at Bitdefender HQ...............................say something - even if it's only "goodbye" !

Last post from HQ just before midday Friday.  Sorry, I forgot - POETS day of course; maybe someone back tomorrow, unless it's a bank holiday in Romania..................disgraceful so-called "support" !

• After not hearing from Bitdefender regarding my open ticket from Friday, I called this afternoon.  My first call was disconnected after about 15 minutes on hold.  Called back, answered in about 15 minutes.  Polite guy helped but had no information other than to say the programmers are working on it.  He said they were busy because of Black Friday / Cyberweek sales.  I suggested they take care of existing paying customers as they're also trying to get new business. 

I asked why Bitdefender didn't let customers know of this issue.  I didn't really expect an answer so I told him I'm sure Bitdefender knew not everyone would discover the crash because not everyone runs a full scan every day or week or even month.

A security suite that won't run a scan is like a McDonald's with no hamburgers.  I went online, bought Kaspersky, removed Bitdefender from the first computer and installed Kaspersky.  Full scan is running as I type this.  I know things happen, but the lack of transparency from Bitdefender on this is completely unacceptable.

• glitchy program
    edited December 2018

Also kind of funny is that the "feedback link" on bitdefender uninstaller download page .. Gets blocked by Bitdefender as being unsafe...

Lolz sec

Bitdefender says their own website is unsafe.

1836805105_SS12-02-18at14_2323.JPG.fcad8a4ec8e06b8868fa35579a16d1dc.JPG

• NullProperty
    edited December 2018

Just wanted to say I'm having the exact same issues reported in this thread myself.

Windows 10 here. BitDefender Total Security 2019.

Been using it with no problems since first install last Summer.

I get the stuck at 4% on the dll file when running a total system scan eitehr Friday or yesterday (can't remember). Today I tried running a manual scan on the file or even the entire c: drive, completes without error. Unable to pause or stop the total system scan once started. If it does indicate as such momentarily, the scan will resume after a short time on its own.

Tried doing a reinstall via the uninstall option. No change in the scan situation only now I have to disable both Search Advisor and Encrypted Web Scan in order to do any browsing in FireFox. Which I hadn't needed to disable before.

Tried uninstalling FireFox, then Uninstalling Bit Defender completely and cleaning the registry.

Reinstalled Firfox then reinstalled bit defender. Tried running a scan, still same problem. Run FirefOx, still same issues with browsing until disabling the two services mentioned above.

Communication on a fix would be nice.

• Got an email from support saying that they are aware of the issue and is current working on a fix. It will automatically update you install once it's available. No ETA though.

Wish they had some kind of dashboard on current critical issue(s) and status posted or pushed to the impacted users.

• glitchy program
    edited December 2018

I'm not supporting Bitdefender in any way.

But in my short time with the program yesterday.. where I decided not to use it... I did get the scan to work by uninstalling bitdefender with the bitdefender uninstaller app.. 

https://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall/

Maybe this will help.

After uninstalling and reinstalling using this method the scan got past 4 % and was on its way to finish about 70%  but I'd lost confidence in the other parts of the program working correctly... So I restored a previous disk image and went back to Kaspersky

5 hours of my life wasted.. 

But maybe try the bitdefender uninstaller app.  It's just a suggestion.

If this is the speed bugs are sorted... What speed are malicious threats looked into... Makes you wonder...

I need to really believe in my internet security.. bitdefender dropped the ball here

• Hi, 

The issue has been reported to our development team. We'll update this thread once a fix is released, or if any further information is available. 

You can also reach us at bitsy@bitdefender.com if you'd like to receive an email when the issue is resolved. 

Thank you. 

• 9 hours ago, NullProperty said:

Today I tried running a manual scan on the file or even the entire c: drive, completes without error.

Great idea! That appears to be working, even though the progress indicator is stuck at 1%, the hard drive light is constantly on and the scanned file count is increasing as expected. Between using a manual scan of the hard drive, and the quick scan (which I hope covers the RAM), I feel comfortable hanging in there until Bitdefender puts out a fix. Whoever was responsible for quality control on the update that broke System Scan deserves a stern lecture and closer supervision for having damaged the product's reputation and inconvenienced customers.

• cowboyspeedy88
    edited December 2018

i think it has to do somthing with the last update from windows 10 

because on 1 pc i have windows 10 version 1809 and with this one the scan will not continue

but the other pc is on windows 10 veruiosn 1803 and there is nothing wrong with the scan 

i hope it help to solved the problem with the scan 

• 19 minutes ago, John B. said:

Great idea! That appears to be working, even though the progress indicator is stuck at 1%,

Same here - a manual Contextual Scan appears to be running OK. After 6 minutes had scanned 500,000 items - after 10 mins has reached 6% !  Fingers crossed ....

• 14 minutes ago, cowboyspeedy88 said:

because on 1 pc i have windows 10 version 1809 and with this one the scan will not continue

but the other pc is on windows 10 veruiosn 1803 and there is nothing wrong with the scan 

Don't think that is the case ...my desk top and my wife's laptop are running the same version of W10. I have the problem - she doesn't !!

Have just run a successful manual scan. Last time I ran a full scan it took an hour - today it took 13.28 mins and scanned 1.5 million items. I have an SSD "C" drive - but 13 mins does seem blisteringly fast compared to previous scans - used to take 3 hrs on my mechanical drive, which is what it takes on my wife's laptop.

• 24 minutes ago, cowboyspeedy88 said:

To me the opposite:

Window 10 Home version 1803 with update 11-27-2018-KB4467682 (OS Build 17134.441) with stuck at 4% problem.

Windows 10 Pro version 1809 no problem so far.

• DAN57150
    DAN57150
    edited December 2018

Hello,

This morning my complete scan was stuck at 4%

I have just tried again ...no problem any more !

Weird !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan

Capture.JPG

• I also have this problem. With all the problems I've had since updating to the 2019 I'm starting to feel like the biggest difference between Bitdefender and a virus is that I've actually paid for this crap to mess up my computer. If this continues we definitely wont be renewing our subscription.

• 1 hour ago, Blauwvinger said:

To me the opposite:

Window 10 Home version 1803 with update 11-27-2018-KB4467682 (OS Build 17134.441) with stuck at 4% problem.

Windows 10 Pro version 1809 no problem so far.

Problem soveld:

Solved.JPG

• Now all of a sudden on Monday morning Bitdefender is all over it.  I got a reply to my ticket saying things were fixed.  I replied as follows:

"After Bitdefender had been broken since last week and with no communication or status updates over the weekend initiated by Bitdefender, I bought another program.  Having a security suite break like this is completely unacceptable and Bitdefender went completely silent about it over the weekend until Monday morning.

I would like a pro-rata refund of my $50 purchase price.  I've used 9 months of the 1-year subscription and want a refund for the remainder of my subscription.  That should be approximately $12.50.  Please let me know how we can do this and I can provide Bitdefender with a card number to refund to as the card used to make the original purchase is no longer valid.

Thank you."

Some may think I'm being petty but having a security program that literally will not run a scan is beyond belief.  I've had petty issues with Norton years back, but between Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, and Trend Micro I've never had a system break like this and the lack of response from Bitdefender was quite different than what the online reviews from PC Mag, Tom's Hardware, etc said.

• Hello, 

The issue should be resolved. If you still cannot run a scan, please follow these steps:

- right click on the Bitdefender icon in the system tray

- choose Update Now

- manually restart PC once update is complete(this is a required step)

Once the computer starts back up, you should be able to run manual system scans once more. 

We apologize for any inconvenience created by this bug. 

Thank you!

• Hoss1310
    Hoss1310 ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Scan problem is solved but still can't connect to almost no site.

All sites are marked as "Untrustworthy" even the Bitdefender links

Again I have to disable "encrypted web scan".

Hope this will be solved quickly also

• now so far the problem with my pc is solved . because i am scanning my pc now and he is already at 34% so thanks 

• NullProperty
    edited December 2018

5 hours ago, Sergiu C. said:

Hello, 

The issue should be resolved. If you still cannot run a scan, please follow these steps:

- right click on the Bitdefender icon in the system tray

- choose Update Now

- manually restart PC once update is complete(this is a required step)

Once the computer starts back up, you should be able to run manual system scans once more. 

We apologize for any inconvenience created by this bug. 

Thank you!

Thank you for the update. Scans are working now. I'm still having the issue with encrypted web scan causing browsing problems in FireFox. I'll start a thread for that one if I can't find anything recent.

Edit: For anyone still having the browser issue, see this /index.php?/topic/79753-bitdefender-2019-stopping-all-https-secure-sites-access/&tab=comments#comment-285382" rel="">forum post.

• NullProperty
    edited December 2018

On 12/2/2018 at 2:28 AM, Hoss1310 said:

Same problem here, most sites that I use are now suddenly "Untrustworthy"

I had to disable "encrypted web scan" ,It's this ore shut down my computer and read a book

I was having the same problem in Firefox. I found the answer in this /index.php?/topic/79753-bitdefender-2019-stopping-all-https-secure-sites-access/&tab=comments#comment-285382" rel="">forum post.

That thread also has some notes on other browsers, though I only had the issue in FF.

• 10 hours ago, NullProperty said:

I was having the same problem in Firefox. I found the answer in this /index.php?/topic/79753-bitdefender-2019-stopping-all-https-secure-sites-access/&tab=comments#comment-285382" rel="">forum post.

That thread also has some notes on other browsers, though I only had the issue in FF.

Thanks for the link, followed the instructions but does not work for me on FF

• I can now (apparently !) do a scan, but..................

Safepay is still telling me that every time that I try and use it to get into a bank that it is "untrustworthy". I also get an "SSL error" at the top of the bookmarks page.  I have no problems using Ice Dragon (Firefox), Edge or Chrome.

Surely Safepay is a browser in its own right ? Why change things in Firefox ? - which have no effect on Safepay ?  ............Safepay is meant to be a "safer" way to access sites such as banks - if it constantly tells me that all my financial institutions are "untrustworthy" what confidence should I have in its security ? or that of the rest of Bitdefender ?

This problem arose at the same time as the shambles with the scans.

• Hi Sergiu C,

System Scan now works without any problems. Thank you for your help!

@ NullProperty, Hoss1310, moonrakerz: suggest you start a new topic rather than add other problems into this one. Makes it easier for people with the same problem to find your posts.

John B.

• This isn't really a new topic - all these problems appear to have been caused by the same poorly implemented BD update.

• 4 hours ago, moonrakerz said:

I can now (apparently !) do a scan, but..................

Safepay is still telling me that every time that I try and use it to get into a bank that it is "untrustworthy". I also get an "SSL error" at the top of the bookmarks page.  I have no problems using Ice Dragon (Firefox), Edge or Chrome.

Surely Safepay is a browser in its own right ? Why change things in Firefox ? - which have no effect on Safepay ?  ............Safepay is meant to be a "safer" way to access sites such as banks - if it constantly tells me that all my financial institutions are "untrustworthy" what confidence should I have in its security ? or that of the rest of Bitdefender ?

This problem arose at the same time as the shambles with the scans.

The steps for Firefox wouldn't apply for an issue with Safepay. 

I have seen only one other similar case (and this was before the update that caused this issue), which was solved with reinstalling Bitdefender:

- download and run an uninstall tool from here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/site/view/uninstall_consumer_paid.html

- reinstall Bitdefender:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/13408/

Thanks!

• Have uninstalled and reinstalled BD iaw your instructions. Now worse than before.   I have tried getting into various sites from Safepay;  4 banking sites I get "Navigation failed"

Error -375(375): Unknown error.

Non banking sites:

Google Maps, Local Library and 1 & 1  -  NO

BBC, This forum, Google Calendar   - YES, straight in as normal from Safepay

This discussion has been closed.