Bitdefender Free blocks most https connections on my PC

I get on mostly every HTTPS site blocks caused by Bitdefender:

https://i.imgur.com/o8WLazc.png

Bitdefender is latest version, Windows 10 1809.

Comments

• I am having the same issue, and its getting worse. As more and more sites go over the HTTPS, Bitdefender is throwing up more and more warnings about the security. But when I click on the certificate information, it is Bitdefender own certificate causing the issue. If I disable protection and refresh the page, everything works fine because the certificate now matched the site.

Please fix this once and for all, it has been going on for months now and enough is enough as it will only get worse.

• Its better to tell in what browser you have a problem , FF or Chrome ?

so they can fix it

• 12 hours ago, RedsFan said:

Its better to tell in what browser you have a problem , FF or Chrome ?

so they can fix it

Good point...

I'm having this issue in Chrome, and I personally know several other people having the same issue with Chrome as well, so the issue is not specific to my installation.

• I've been having this issue too for a while now. 4 different PCs using Chrome browser. Please, fix it. Bitdefender free is by far the best AV I have tried in more than 25 years dealing with computers. 

• I just recently started having this issue on both FireFox and Chrome.

• knuddelz
    edited February 2019

On 2/2/2019 at 10:05 AM, RedsFan said:

Its better to tell in what browser you have a problem , FF or Chrome ?

so they can fix it

EVERY ONE. Firefox, Chrome AND Edge. No answer yet. This AV is a JOKE. They seem to buy reviews every year, and I fall for it every time. I am testing Bitdefender every year now for the last 3 years, and every time it is horrible bad and full of bugs and I remove it again after 2 days.

• I've had this problem very often in the past, and then sometimes it starts working again.

Currently it's completely broken for https://foodwishes.blogspot.com in both Firefox and Chrome. The page works if I turn off BitDefender (with Firefox and Chrome both telling me that I have a flawless https connection and the certificate is fine), but if I turn BitDefender on, I get NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID and can't access the page at all.

The recurring HTTPS certificate troubles are extremely annoying, especially considering that BitDefender is fantastic otherwise. I just wish you could turn off that part permanently. Sadly not even upgrading to the paid version of BitDefender fixes this - in the paid version, HTTPS scanning is just as bad as in the free version, and while it can be turned off there, BitDefender then continuously complains that your system is "at risk".

If I could pay money for a BitDefender Free without HTTPS scanning, I would.

• I just got answer from Support of Bitdefender, they told me, they cant help me and dont care because they dont give any support "anymore" for the free version. Is this a joke?

• RedsFan
    RedsFan ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

Thats a little sad, but many free AV don't have support..... but when you send a mail to Bitdefender with feedback and problems they answer very nice about the free edition.

By the way, is the problem not solved with latest update ???

• SebastianDI
    edited February 2019

12 minutes ago, RedsFan said:

Thats a little sad, but many free AV don't have support..... but when you send a mail to Bitdefender with feedback and problems they answer very nice about the free edition.

The latest update brought a bug inside the firefox browser about traffic light, when you visit pages. I see no performace but a new bug. Sometimes i think, they only test on M$ Edge.

• On 2/8/2019 at 2:29 PM, knuddelz said:

I just got answer from Support of Bitdefender, they told me, they cant help me and dont care because they dont give any support "anymore" for the free version. Is this a joke?

but i could help you.

OK i really cant help you, reset your router, try to visit those pages again. Do not optimize your router settings! Which router you owe? Chinese or what.

• RedsFan
    RedsFan ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

10 minutes ago, SebastianDI said:

The latest update brought a bug inside the firefox browser about traffic light, when you visit pages. I see no performace but a new bug. Sometimes i think, they only test on M$ Edge.

When you use Bitdefender you don't realy need trafficlight, BD free have a webshield.... i think there is a bug in trafficlight, disable TF extension and try again or with another extension.

• For what it's worth, for now everything is working again for me!

(Until the next time it breaks, I guess. But BitDefender Free is still the best antivirus I ever had, so I'll take that.)

• knuddelz
    edited February 2019

Nope, nothing is working. Just tested it again reinstalling it. Still borken with EVERY BROWSER, Chrome, Firefox, Edge. Tested it on two PCs. I will stick with Windows Defender I guess.

• Maybe it depends how you uninstall it .....using that uninstall tool or with another program.

• There are several issues btw next to this. When it was installed, I had randomly also the following issues:

- Chrome not loading pages saying "waiting for cache"

- random DNS resolv problems

This is mostly all connected to the buggy SSL scanning, you cant disable for the free version.

• On 2/8/2019 at 11:19 PM, RedsFan said:

I disable protection and refresh the page, everything works fine because the certificate now matched the site.

• I disable protection and refresh the page, everything works fine because the certificate now matched the site.  Audacity Find My iPhone Origin

• Why you say the same 6 hours later ?

• I just tested Bitdefender Free again yesterday. The certificate issue seems to be fixed in the Browers, the waiting for cache / random ssl connection blocks not. There is some nasty bug in this crap of a AV, since years now. It seems to happen more often after waking up from sleep / modern standby. The issue is mostly related to the crypt service in Windows 10, Bitdefender doesnt work proeprly correct together with. I wont touch this garbage software anymore.

• On 2/1/2019 at 6:47 PM, knuddelz said:

I get on mostly every HTTPS site blocks caused by Bitdefender:

everything works fine because the certificate now matched the site.

• On 2/1/2019 at 6:47 PM, knuddelz said:

I get on mostly every HTTPS site blocks       https://audacity.onl/ https://findmyiphone.onl/ https://origin.onl/ caused by Bitdefender:

everything works fine because the certificate now matched the site.

• Hello,

In order to try and solve the reported situation please proceed as follows:

- press Windows start button and type certmgr.msc, then press Enter

- select Trusted Root Certificates > Certificates and remove any Bitdefender certificate listed

- afterward, right click on Certificates and choose All Tasks > Import

- press Next > then Browse to C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\mitm_cache\fake-ca.crt > press Next again

- click Automatically select the certificate store > Next > Finish

Once done, reboot your browser and check if the issue persists.

In case the behavior is not changed for just a specific website, please send us an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com with a detailed description of the situation so we can further analyze.

Thank you!

• On 2/21/2019 at 1:14 PM, Andrei M. said:

Hello,

In order to try and solve the reported situation please proceed as follows.......

Thank you, I will give this a try and see if things improve.

• On 2/21/2019 at 1:14 PM, Andrei M. said:

Hello,

In order to try and solve the reported situation please proceed as follows:

- press Windows start button and type certmgr.msc, then press Enter

- select Trusted Root Certificates > Certificates and remove any Bitdefender certificate listed

- afterward, right click on Certificates and choose All Tasks > Import

- press Next > then Browse to C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\mitm_cache\fake-ca.crt > press Next again

- click Automatically select the certificate store > Next > Finish

Once done, reboot your browser and check if the issue persists.

In case the behavior is not changed for just a specific website, please send us an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com with a detailed description of the situation so we can further analyze.

Thank you!

UPDATE:

I did what your suggested and it made things worse. First off, the path for the cert is wrong but I found it in a similarly named sub folder. But now, instead of getting the "web page is blocked" error which normally goes away after refreshing the page, now I get the "your connection is not private" error (see attached image) just trying to do a google search, let alone any other sites. Now its just an effing mess and I guess I have to delete the certs again and do a clean install of Bitdefender.

PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM OR REMOVE WEB PROTECTION UNTIL YOU CAN FIND AN ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION !!!

BD Error.jpg

.... and I'm still getting this one as well.

Haven't seen it for a few days so I thought maybe and update had fixed it, but alas not. I guess I was just "lucky". But at least with this one, refreshing the web page normally fixes it.

PLEASE FIX THESE ISSUES!!!

BD Error2.jpg

• RedsFan
    RedsFan ✭✭✭

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition 1.0.15.89 is out, a possible fix for problems.

• Its now another 2 months later and well over a year since this issue first started, and still there is no fix!

Hoping beyond hope that by some slim chance, a clean install of a new version, might fix the issue, I once again uninstalled Bitdefender for the umpteenth time. I manually removed any trace I could find and manually deleted the certificate etc etc. Suffice to say there was no trace left that I could find. 

I downloaded the latest installer and...... etc.

No sooner had I finished this clean, brand new install of the latest version and went to a secure site, I immediately get the error again, on a banking site. This happens in both Firefox and Chrome, but NOT necessarily with the same sites. Sometimes I'll go to a site and it will work, other times it will give the error. Sometimes simply refreshing the site will display the site and other times I'll get the error again. With regard the later, if its a site I don't know and I get the error more than once, I generally heed the warning and move on.

1899043144_BDscreenshot2.thumb.jpg.2986161b839ebaa4e305ffc32166d4e9.jpg

This error has been going on far too long. When can we expect this to be resolved?

• Since January 2019, 93% visitors to my website come under "30 seconds". People have got virus/malware alerts for my 100% safe website.

My website is also "https". Have a look: https://dangerousmother.com

• On 5/16/2019 at 12:29 PM, Psybernaut said:

Its now another 2 months later and well over a year since this issue first started, and still there is no fix!

Hoping beyond hope that by some slim chance, a clean install of a new version, might fix the issue, I once again uninstalled Bitdefender for the umpteenth time. I manually removed any trace I could find and manually deleted the certificate etc etc. Suffice to say there was no trace left that I could find. 

I downloaded the latest installer and...... etc.

No sooner had I finished this clean, brand new install of the latest version and went to a secure site, I immediately get the error again, on a banking site. This happens in both Firefox and Chrome, but NOT necessarily with the same sites. Sometimes I'll go to a site and it will work, other times it will give the error. Sometimes simply refreshing the site will display the site and other times I'll get the error again. With regard the later, if its a site I don't know and I get the error more than once, I generally heed the warning and move on.

1899043144_BDscreenshot2.thumb.jpg.2986161b839ebaa4e305ffc32166d4e9.jpg

This error has been going on far too long. When can we expect this to be resolved?

Hi,

Please write us an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com and our team will gladly help you.

• For Firefox, I followed the second suggestion in this page:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/mozilla_pkix_error_mitm_detected

That is, I changed the value of security.enterprise_roots.enabled to true.

• IridiumPoint
    edited June 2019

OK, so I have just done a fresh reinstall of my laptop and I started getting this problem in Firefox. The sites I tried were Google and BitWarden and they gave me an error like the one I have attached to this post. I have tried some solutions I had found around here and elsewhere (including removing the Bitdefender cert in Windows and readding via the "Manage Computer Certificates" application), but this only served to spread the error to Edge too. In the end, this is what seems to have done the trick:

EDIT: After playing with it a bit more, I believe there may be some extra steps; I have added them below and reformatted the post.

1. Open the certificate options in Firefox (Options -> Privacy & Security -> View Certificates) and the "Manage Computer Certificates" in Windows 10 at the same time.

2. Delete "Bitdefender Personal CA.avfree000000" in the Windows app and immediately Delete/Distrust it in Firefox too.

3. In Firefox, import "c:\program files\bitdefender antivirus free\web\mitm_cache\fake-ca.crt" -> "Trust this certificate to identify websites".

I'm not sure if there are any implications to doing it this way, so I would appreciate an actual fix :)

Also, slightly off-topic:

- I have made this account a long time ago and I couldn't remember my display name in order to log in. I couldn't find it anywhere until I tried the password reset function and received it in that e-mail. The display name should be made visible in the Central!

- I tried sending an e-mail via the contact form, but I was getting an error; I'm not sure what the exact message was, but it seemed like I was expected to fill out a Captcha, but there was none (I actually went to check now that the problems are fixed and now a reCAPTCHA appears). You should provide an actual e-mail address so that people can contact you when a failure like this happens.

Screenshot (1).png

• I can't edit my previous post anymore, but I forgot to add that the instructions I described fixed the problems not only for Firefox, but Edge too.

• On 5/22/2019 at 1:30 PM, Roxana G said:

Hi,

Please write us an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com and our team will gladly help you.

Hi.

I have tried that before and got a copy/paste reply to follow xyz steps, which I've done several times and none fixed the problem. Would it not be easier for your team, if they have a solution that works, to address it here so that everyone with this problem can be helped?

I will email them again about this issue anyway, as well as a new problem, almost certainly related in some way to the same issue. As of an hour ago right after an update, PUBG server is now being silently blocked making it impossible to play the game unless I turn off "Protection Shield" after which it works fine.

Blocking websites I can see is irritating enough, but when you start silently blocking access to servers without any indication or warning just causes heaps of frustration.

• 18 hours ago, Psybernaut said:

Hi.

I have tried that before and got a copy/paste reply to follow xyz steps, which I've done several times and none fixed the problem. Would it not be easier for your team, if they have a solution that works, to address it here so that everyone with this problem can be helped?

I will email them again about this issue anyway, as well as a new problem, almost certainly related in some way to the same issue. As of an hour ago right after an update, PUBG server is now being silently blocked making it impossible to play the game unless I turn off "Protection Shield" after which it works fine.

Blocking websites I can see is irritating enough, but when you start silently blocking access to servers without any indication or warning just causes heaps of frustration.

Hello Mark,

From what I saw the last email was sent 2 months ago and we have guided you to import the certificates. This error appears when the certificates are not properly installed. We have also required some logs from you to further look into this, but we never got a reply from you. thus, you already have imported the Bitdefender certificates and the issue persists, please send us the log required 2 months ago, as we cannot say much without analyzing the logs first.

• The only solution was to go to firefox's options->Privacy & Security, scroll all the way down to certificates-> view certificates-> authorities tab

If the bitdefender certificate is not on the list, then click on import, then go to location C:\Program Files\Bitdefender Antivirus Free\web\mitm_cache

Import fake-ca.crt and tick "This cerificate can identify websites".

Now, firefox works for me with bitdefender free alongside. Should be easy for developers to incorporate it in future updates.

• twathle
    edited July 2019

Experienced the same problem after trying to disable/uninstall BitDefender for diagnostic purposes.  TaskMgr (access by right-clicking on the taskbar) showed that an M$ utility called CertUtil.exe was running. My problem went away immediately after I killed CertUtil via TaskMgr.  I ended up reverting to a clean system backup, so I don't know whether the problem would have persisted after re-booting.  Use SysInternals' free "autoruns" utility to determine whether CertUtil.exe is getting auto-started.  If so, unchecked it, and restart again.

SysInternals wrote beautiful "autoruns" and "process viewer" utilities. They were later bought out by M$.  Use VirusTotal to verify that your downloads are clean.

Ket, thank you for your posting.