Turn off or uninstall VPN

Jonas91
edited August 2019 in General

Hi!

I'm posting this in General since it's not about installation or activation... 

I want to turn off the VPN app or even uninstall it since I'm using another solution... It's pretty annoying and I'm wondering if I can uninstall it safely without consequences for the Bitdefender solution that's installed...

I have a payed subscription for Bitdefender Total Security but the VPN stuff is absolutely unwanted. The subscription for the VPN was standard but I can't find any possible way to turn it off in the settings. I'm close to my renewal and this might be a dealbreaker somehow.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Hi Jonas,

You can uninstall it like any other app with no negative impact on the main product.

If you don't see it listed in your Programs and Apps but have it's icon on your desktop you can delete the shortcut. Its there to allow a quicker deployment for the less technically involved users.

Have a great day ahead!

• On 8/12/2019 at 2:24 PM, Stefan I. said:

Hi Jonas,

You can uninstall it like any other app with no negative impact on the main product.

If you don't see it listed in your Programs and Apps but have it's icon on your desktop you can delete the shortcut. Its there to allow a quicker deployment for the less technically involved users.

Have a great day ahead!

Thanks! I just wanted to be sure that there wouldn't be any impact.

• No we can't! I tried to delete it and it says I don't have permissions.. so I try to set permissions and I can't again! And the BD Uninstaller in the same folder does not have the option, only to uninstall BD... Geeez how annoying! Why did this even install (and multiple times) without asking!

• It's May 2022 and the uninstaller shows an option to uninstall the VPN. It takes a while, but stick with it, and it should uninstall it.

• It's May 25, and I have this same problem. This morning, BD Antivirus did nothing when I chose to do a quick scan. I had to reinstall Bitdefender. Now without asking me, the reinstallation included BitDefender VPN. I already have a VPN I want to use. Please tell me how to uninstall BD VPN.

I have tried several ways to do that, and they all tell me I don't have permission for some of the files.

This is very annoying!

• I ran BitdefenderUninstaller from the Applications/BitDefender folder.

I was delighted to see that this app offered an option to only uninstall the VPN.

In the future, I will look for uninstaller apps before just moving an app from the Applications folder to the Trash.

The VPN is gone, and all is well.