Bitdefender blocking Firefox SSL

Bitdefender updated to the 2020 version yesterday, and I am now getting secure sites coming up with the Secure Connection Failed PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR error occasionally. I did find that if I turn off the 'Encrypted web Scan' feature in Bitdefender the affected pages load, so this bit obviously needs some more work. I would appreciate some feedback when you have fixed the problem so I can turn this back on.

Comments

• Hi,

Thank you for reporting this situation.

In order to resolve this issue please follow these steps:

- open Firefox

- press on the menu button in the upper right that looks like three bars one under another

- go to Options

- go to Privacy & Security

- press on View certificates

- go to Authorities

- delete any Bitdefender entries in the list

- press on Import

- navigate to C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\mitm_cache

- select fake-ca.crt and press on Open

- check all the boxes you are prompted with

- press on next until the certificate is installed

- in the same certificate window, click on the Bitdefender Personal CA.Net-Defender certificate, then on Edit Trust

- check the box "This certificate can identify web sites"

Restart Firefox and let us know if everything is OK. A restart of the computer may also be required.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

• 4 hours ago, Roxana G said:

Hi,

Thank you for reporting this situation.

In order to resolve this issue please follow these steps:

- open Firefox

- press on the menu button in the upper right that looks like three bars one under another

- go to Options

- go to Privacy & Security

- press on View certificates

- go to Authorities

- delete any Bitdefender entries in the list

- press on Import

- navigate to C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\mitm_cache

- select fake-ca.crt and press on Open

- check all the boxes you are prompted with

- press on next until the certificate is installed

- in the same certificate window, click on the Bitdefender Personal CA.Net-Defender certificate, then on Edit Trust

- check the box "This certificate can identify web sites"

Restart Firefox and let us know if everything is OK. A restart of the computer may also be required.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sorry, I'm not a beta tester. Please let me know when the software is fixed, or if I should go back to the previous version (which worked).

• On 8/30/2019 at 6:06 PM, mfarmilo said:

Sorry, I'm not a beta tester. Please let me know when the software is fixed, or if I should go back to the previous version (which worked).

Hello,

If you still have Bitdefender Beta version installed, please install the official version and check if you can access web pages in Firefox.

• 11 hours ago, Roxana G said:

Hello,

If you still have Bitdefender Beta version installed, please install the official version and check if you can access web pages in Firefox.

Hi Roxana - I'm not running a Beta version and never have, since as I said I'm not a beta tester. Until around a week ago I was running Bitdefender 2018, and it then automatically updated itself to 2019. Since then the problems with some https sites started, which I have resolved for the time being by turning off 'Encrypted web Scan'. Although I am quite tech oriented, I don't feel comfortable mucking about with the settings you asked me to play with so I will just leave the offending setting turned off until you have fixed the problem.

• 14 hours ago, mfarmilo said:

Hi Roxana - I'm not running a Beta version and never have, since as I said I'm not a beta tester. Until around a week ago I was running Bitdefender 2018, and it then automatically updated itself to 2019. Since then the problems with some https sites started, which I have resolved for the time being by turning off 'Encrypted web Scan'. Although I am quite tech oriented, I don't feel comfortable mucking about with the settings you asked me to play with so I will just leave the offending setting turned off until you have fixed the problem.

Hi,

Can you please send us a screenshot with the build version installed:

- go to System tray

- click right on the Bitdefender icon

- select About

• 9 hours ago, Roxana G said:

Hi,

Can you please send us a screenshot with the build version installed:

- go to System tray

- click right on the Bitdefender icon

- select About

Hi - apologies, it's the 2020 version I've been updated to

image.png.82b99b41548b768c8abcea48733308b1.png

• 13 hours ago, mfarmilo said:

Hi - apologies, it's the 2020 version I've been updated to

image.png.82b99b41548b768c8abcea48733308b1.png

Hi,

Thank you for the information. For most of the users this issue is fixed with Bitdefender 2020 version. However, in this case it is possible that the Bitdefender certificates were not properly installed and I recommend you to install them manually as mentioned above.

• 11 hours ago, Roxana G said:

Hi,

Thank you for the information. For most of the users this issue is fixed with Bitdefender 2020 version. However, in this case it is possible that the Bitdefender certificates were not properly installed and I recommend you to install them manually as mentioned above.

Hi Roxana. Ok, I followed your instructions (although the 'delete' button in Firefox is actually labelled 'delete or mistrust'). I got as far as removing the Bitdefender entries (I actually found only one). When I attempted to import the new entry as specified I got a message 'The certificate is already installed as a certificate authority'. I have not gone further as yet.

• 11 hours ago, mfarmilo said:

Hi Roxana. Ok, I followed your instructions (although the 'delete' button in Firefox is actually labelled 'delete or mistrust'). I got as far as removing the Bitdefender entries (I actually found only one). When I attempted to import the new entry as specified I got a message 'The certificate is already installed as a certificate authority'. I have not gone further as yet.

Hi,

We would like to further look into this. If possible, please send us an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com.

• I have this exact same problem... but only since the last two days. I have followed all the steps outlined in this post - still not working.

Is there a known fix or workaround yet?

image.png.62c0b4aee5134d34bcaffa0dfadc6cae.png

• Hello /index.php?/profile/217485-manny/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="217485" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/217485-manny/" id="ips_uid_1289_7" rel="">@Manny,

In order to further troubleshoot the issue you encountered, please send us an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com.

Thank you and have a nice day!

•  

On 9/23/2019 at 3:10 PM, Anisoara S. said:

Hello /index.php?/profile/217485-manny/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="217485" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/217485-manny/" rel="">@Manny,

In order to further troubleshoot the issue you encountered, please send us an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Well this is awkward!

I finally got to the bottom of the problem - turns out my IP address had been flagged by BrightCloud as a potential spammer - obviously this was not the case & a simple router reboot (well... switch off before I leave for work, then switch on at my return) fixed the problem. I got a new IP address which is no longer flagged and can use the websites I was having trouble with - no problems at all.

We had a power outage around the time the problem first started which was also around the time BitDefender got updated - I put 2+2 together and got 5!

Sorry for causing trouble :mellow:

• 18 hours ago, Manny said:

Well this is awkward!

I finally got to the bottom of the problem - turns out my IP address had been flagged by BrightCloud as a potential spammer - obviously this was not the case & a simple router reboot (well... switch off before I leave for work, then switch on at my return) fixed the problem. I got a new IP address which is no longer flagged and can use the websites I was having trouble with - no problems at all.

We had a power outage around the time the problem first started which was also around the time BitDefender got updated - I put 2+2 together and got 5!

Sorry for causing trouble :mellow:

Hi,

Thank you for the update.