Bitdefender Firewall Blocks Xbox Networking on PC

As title says after getting BD Internet Security 2020 Xbox Networking gets blocked on PC and I'm unable to play any online games that depend on it. There's nothing in the logs that BD blocks something it just doesn't work once the Firewall part is enabled.

Pictures bellow. Once BD FW is on no server connectivity and once BD FW is off and Windows Firewall takes over I get server connectivity.

BD FW on.jpg

BD FW off.jpg

Tagged:

Comments

• I assume this is in the inbound direction as it says using it as a server is blocked, if so simply add a rule for it. If your PC is behind a router then you would also need to add some NAT (port forwarding).

• Saw this on one of my PCs and found these articles:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ip-helper-wont-start-automatically-despite-being/f79f79d2-f8ce-4a0d-b327-50d69e2ecccb

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-windows/social/troubleshoot-party-chat

Starting IP Helper service seems to fix the issue.   Maybe there's an issue with game mode in Bitdefender 2020?  The service is set to Automatic and after rebooting the service started normally.

1325782033_xboxnetworkstatus.thumb.jpg.0099d4395d9cf4eb8e4b085b538381e0.jpg

• PCGamer7
    PCGamer7
    edited August 2019

Tested the gaming and work profiles and they disable the IP Helper service when the profile is enabled and enable the IP Helper service when the profile is disabled. Can someone from Bitdefender escalate this issue to the dev team?

• Hello,

Thank you for reporting this. We have sent this situation to our development team for further investigation. The fix will be released via automatic updates.

• Is there a timeline for when the fix will be made available?  I'm still experiencing the same issue.

• 12 hours ago, PCGamer7 said:

Is there a timeline for when the fix will be made available?  I'm still experiencing the same issue.

Hello,

We do not have an estimated time for the release of the fix yet, but we will contact you as soon as it's implemented by automatic update of Bitdefender. Please keep in mind that all reported bugs require investigation time. Since product updates are usually released once a month it may take at least 1 month until a fix is implemented in the product - this does not include the debugging period.

• Just checking to see if there's an update - it's been almost 3 months.  Thanks.

• Hello,

Currently this situation has been sent to the development team as an improvement request. Unfortunately we do not have an ETA available for the resolution yet.

• Is there a reason this is considered an improvement request and not a bug?  Bitdefender essentially blocks access to XBox live services by stopping a necessary windows service required for XBox connectivity.  It’s not a nice to have thing, it’s a matter of the product preventing access to an application that users depend on for multiplayer capabilities.

• Hello /index.php?/profile/216908-pcgamer7/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="216908" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/216908-pcgamer7/" rel="">@PCGamer7,

It is intentional for Profiles to disable this service, as part of the performance improvements applied to the computer. When these improvements were determined, Windows 10 wasn't even launched yet, so we did not run into this issue in the initial testing. We agree that we could speed up the resolution for this situation, so we will prioritize it with the team. Thank you for your feedback!

• I’ve been busting my brain to work a solution for this.Still nothing, I haven’t played xbox live since i have bit defender (2020) installed. Uninstalling helps a lot. Really sad that this happens.

• Um, did you try to reset the Bitdefender Firewall to default, then use the Gaming profile?

All the Xbox services will pop up as a question to block or not. Let them through. If you block 1 service connected to your X-box profile thinhy, its like blocking everything.

You will get alot of host, apps etc with Xbox. Just allow them all.

• Still the same here in 2020. Unable to play online games via XBOX with Bitdefender firewall enabled. No problem on Epic, Steam, Uplay.

Looking for another antivirus/firewall product at this moment.

• TempleKa
    TempleKa
    edited October 2020

And this issue is back once again in your 2021 product (Build 25.0.7.34). I mean it's the 3rd version already that when released has this issue (2019, 2020 and now 2021). Are you guys just reusing old code or something? I mean get it together for once or people will get fed up with this at some point and turn to some other protection solutions.

Once again the only fix I found is to disable Bitdefender Firewall. Resetting the settings or a clean reinstall of Bitdefender didn't work.

• Since last week the Bitdefender Firewall blocks XBox Live Gaming. Please fix it. You have to switch the Firewall off to use the Gaming Computer for Gaming.

• @As5ahism

OMG YOU ARE MY HERO, I CANT BELIEVE THE ROCKET SCIENTISTS AT BD COULDN’T FIGURE THIS OUT AND DO A QUICK PATCH OR EVEN PROVIDE THIS ANSWER BUT AFTER 2 YEARS OF HAVING TO MANUALLY TURN OF THE FIREWALL YOUR SOLUTION WORKED, BD SHOULD HIRE YOU, THEY OBVIOUSLY COULDN’T GET THAT ANSWER IN 3 YEARS ACCORDING TO THIS THREAD.

Signed up for this just to Thank you for your help.

• hello guys. Is working. Thanks Man you saved Bitdefender:)

• I spent hours to fix the issue and thanks to @As5ahism advice it finally works.

BitDefender shall really handle this issue and provide an official way to use Xbox live with bitdefender firewall activated.

It is not normal to search in all the forums to use a default installed windows application.

Please fix it as soon as possible !

• badtorro
    badtorro
    edited April 2021

I have created this account just to post this solution.

Problem: Bitdefender keeps turning off IP Helper everytime I restart PC, despite saving startup type = automatic. This prevents Teredo from establishing connection to Xbox servers.

Solution: in every profile deselect the option "Postpone background programs and maintenance tasks". Turn on "activate profiles automatically". Then go to services.msc, IP Helper and save the default startup type to automatic. Reboot. Right after the system starts you will notice IP Helper startup type = manual, but as soon as BitDefender loads (icon in the tray), the status of IP Helper will change to "running" and startup type = automatic.

Hope this helps

• Unfortunately this doesn't work for me. It shows as running, but still won't talk to XBOX live. I didn't realize there were issues with this when I first installed Bitdefender 2021 because I hadn't tried any XBOX Live games since then. Kinda bummed, because they've worked out most of my other issues with it at this point.

• For those who still have this issue and don't want to add this obscure rule that may be dangerous :

• Disable BitDefender Firewall :
    • Go to Windows Defender Firewall
    • Click on "Restore defaults" to the left of the panel

You will still have all BitDefender Total Security features enabled (AT detection, except for the firewall that will be handled by Windows (and does a much better job I have to say).