PASSWD.LOG shows error

Every time when I login, the c:\windows\debug\passwd.log shows password change errors. This is possibly caused by Bitdefender

I use Windows 10 and BitDefender 2020. This problem existed also at the time that I used BitDefender 2019.

Is anyone having the same problem? 

Comments

• 16 hours ago, AlexS2 said:

Every time when I login, the c:\windows\debug\passwd.log shows password change errors. This is possibly caused by Bitdefender

I use Windows 10 and BitDefender 2020. This problem existed also at the time that I used BitDefender 2019.

Is anyone having the same problem? 

Hi,

Can you please let us know the reason you believe that the situation is caused by Bitdefender? Have you tried disabling the Bitdefender modules?

• I won't say that it is caused by Bitdefender. I am trying to find what program is causing these errors.

After I reinstalled my computer I only installed Bitdefender and 2 other programs and then the error occured again.

I also have an old laptop with bitdefender 2018 that was switched off for almost a year and that computer had an empty file. But after the Bitdefender update the file contained these errors.

I found a post from someone that has installed a trial Bitdefender and had the same problem and after removing Bitdefender the problem disappeared.

So I was wondering if someone else has the same problem and if others are using Bitdefender without having these errors.

Meanwhile I found out that the file remains empty when the computer is not connected to the Internet at boot. When I reconnect the computer and reboot the computer, the errors do occur. I have disabled all Bitdefender modules on the Security and Privacy pages, but the errors still occur.

• Hi Alex,

I'd recommend slowly working your way into a clean boot environment, then enabling your usual apps for the next boot-up one at a time to see which one is causing it:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows

• AlexS2
    edited September 2019

Stefan,

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Stefan,

I found out that it was the Bitdefender ProductAgentService. Is the problem caused by malware in this service?

I have the same issue on my other computers and there the full system scan revealed no malware. I'd sent Bitdefender a full system scan of that computer and Bitdefender support didn't find a problem.

I believe this is not normal behaviour, what can I do about this?

• When ProductAgentService is stopped and I open Bitdefender, the password error occur again. The services app show that ProductAgentService is running. This services is apparently started when you open Bitdefender. It is clear that the problem is caused by this service.

• On 9/13/2019 at 10:17 PM, AlexS2 said:

When ProductAgentService is stopped and I open Bitdefender, the password error occur again. The services app show that ProductAgentService is running. This services is apparently started when you open Bitdefender. It is clear that the problem is caused by this service.

Hello,

We need to further investigate this situation and I recommend you to contact us via email at bitsy@bitdefender.com.