How can I tell if mobile AV is on?

BlackHawk99
edited January 2022 in Mobile Security

The last mobile AV program I used always had a icon showing me it was active and protecting. With Bitdefender this is not the case? How can I tell if it's on and protecting? Do I always need to be signed in to my Bitdefender account for the protection to be active??? If I sign out protection is still on??? Sorry, but this is a new app for me and I need some things cleared up. Thank you!!!

Comments

• daman1
    edited January 2018

I agree I wish there was a icon always showing but there is not. You do not need to be sighed into your BD central you can check status by opening  the app and checking your dash board, And your Web security tabs to make sure there green.

Web security is the important one as it protects you wile on line.

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

Interestingly, over at the Malwarebytes Forums (no intent to bend any rules /index.php?/profile/201429-sorin-g/" data-ipshover-target="https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?/profile/201429-sorin-g/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="201429" rel="">@Sorin G.),  which did until recently, by default, display an icon, their customers, me included, wanted the option to remove their icon, which we only recently acquired.  Real estate on a smart phone is precious.

Personally, I am a "negative option" guy.  Notify me if your program is not working, or it has detected something that I should be concerned about; otherwise, stay in the background.  Bitdefender does keep me notified of its various activities.  I would vote for leaving it as it is, although I understand that some newer versions of the Android operating system are going to require certain Android programs to display icons.  At least that was the initial explanation by Malwarebytes for why that product continuously displayed an icon on the home screen.

I run both apps on my smartphone, as I do on my two PCs.  They both target different malware species, although there is some overlap.  I would have no objection to the suggestion, provided the user has the option to turn off the BDM icon, unless it has detected something that needs my attention.

Just my two cents.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• I know this is a lot later on this topic but I'm new! You say that I do not need to be logged into my BD account yet if I log out and then in again none of the settings re web protection, anti-theft etc have been saved and have to be selected again hence I stay logged in all the time! I've struggled all along with BD as the 'instructions' as not very helpful.

• On 8/17/2019 at 9:19 PM, Mogman said:

I know this is a lot later on this topic but I'm new! You say that I do not need to be logged into my BD account yet if I log out and then in again none of the settings re web protection, anti-theft etc have been saved and have to be selected again hence I stay logged in all the time! I've struggled all along with BD as the 'instructions' as not very helpful.

Hi,

If you have Bitdefender Mobile Security 2020 version, you need to be logged-in all the time with the Bitdefender account.

• OK but even when I do this, i find that web protection is invariably off and has to be activated again and again.

• On 8/24/2019 at 9:39 PM, Mogman said:

OK but even when I do this, i find that web protection is invariably off and has to be activated again and again.

Hello Mogman,

Please make sure that Bitdefender is allowed under Settings -> Accessibility and that all Bitdefender permissions are set to Allow. Also, please check if you have any Settings for Battery optimization or any app for Battery optimization and turned them off.

• I, personally, would like to have an option to turn on a small Bitdefender icon in the top status bar of the phone just like I have the option to turn on the BD Security Widget in BD Total Security for my PC. I am very concerned about security. That is why I run Bitdefender on all my devices. I understand that BD is always up and running but I would like to see the icon instead of having to go to my BD Mobile Dashboard.

• 14 hours ago, Laurel Valley said:

I, personally, would like to have an option to turn on a small Bitdefender icon in the top status bar of the phone just like I have the option to turn on the BD Security Widget in BD Total Security for my PC. I am very concerned about security. That is why I run Bitdefender on all my devices. I understand that BD is always up and running but I would like to see the icon instead of having to go to my BD Mobile Dashboard.

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. You may post the request on the Feature request section. In case you still have issues with Bitdefender being disabled, please write us at bitsy@bitdefender.com.

• Roxanna:

I thank you for your advice and posted my request above in the Feature Request section of Bitdefender 2020 Products.

• It usually depends on a firmware of the phone that you are using. Chinese Phone brands usually close/unload background applications automatically.

Unless you allow the app from accessibility settings.