Auto Renewal Scam

edited January 2013 in General

Beware anyone that uses Bit defender products. You will find to your annoyance that you have signed up for "auto renewal" without being aware of it. This means that even AFTER you uninstall this awful product Bit Defender and Avangate will attempt to charge you for something you neither use nor want nor approved. this is tatamount to fraud and has been discussed widely for a long time now. Bit defender and Avangate have NOT changed their behaviour and it took me 30 minutes to find out how to cancel this little scam.

Enabling automatic renewal by default has been denounced by all consumer associations and confirmed in many trials as a practice akin to fraud.

And it's even worse when you or your vendors do it without warning the customer and without an option to unselect it.

As one user posted in October 2011:

"It's still a fraud attempt if users are not notified, do not consent, and can't opt out during the purchase process.

You fall into the same category as all the scammers Consumer Reports constantly denounces for the very same practice of unknown revolving fees.

I can't recommend Bitdefender anymore, and won't renew my license if this practice is not ended.

If some users want the feature, that's fine, you can make it opt-in during the purchase.

Tip for Bitdefender: Do NOT EVER touch your customers' money without their explicit consent.

This makes them angry and you lose customers if you don't respect them.

It's already a tough market with all the free solutions available, I don't understand how you shoot yourself in the foot like that."

So be warned Bit Defender users!

Comments

• Sorry to see that. But check this link to stop it. smile2.png

http://forum.bitdefender.com/lofiversion/i...php/t34003.html

• Beware anyone that uses Bit defender products. You will find to your annoyance that you have signed up for "auto renewal" without being aware of it. This means that even AFTER you uninstall this awful product Bit Defender and Avangate will attempt to charge you for something you neither use nor want nor approved. this is tatamount to fraud and has been discussed widely for a long time now. Bit defender and Avangate have NOT changed their behaviour and it took me 30 minutes to find out how to cancel this little scam.

Enabling automatic renewal by default has been denounced by all consumer associations and confirmed in many trials as a practice akin to fraud.

And it's even worse when you or your vendors do it without warning the customer and without an option to unselect it.

As one user posted in October 2011:

"It's still a fraud attempt if users are not notified, do not consent, and can't opt out during the purchase process.

You fall into the same category as all the scammers Consumer Reports constantly denounces for the very same practice of unknown revolving fees.

I can't recommend Bitdefender anymore, and won't renew my license if this practice is not ended.

If some users want the feature, that's fine, you can make it opt-in during the purchase.

Tip for Bitdefender: Do NOT EVER touch your customers' money without their explicit consent.

This makes them angry and you lose customers if you don't respect them.

It's already a tough market with all the free solutions available, I don't understand how you shoot yourself in the foot like that."

So be warned Bit Defender users!

Excellent post Snake. Apparently the MO is for BD, and their partners (e.g., Avangate), is to run this tactic as long as it's profitable. And for those of that call them on it, they issue refunds and post Smiley Faces when they get around to looking at the complaints. But the refunds and smileys hardly come close to making up for the wasted time & efforts.

I'm reminded of the legal letter I received recently, notifying me of a class-action lawsuit against a major PC Mfr for overcharging on extended warranties. It said I would receive ~$8.00 and the two Pliantiffs would each get $10,000 and the lawyers would get $11,000,000. Can't help but to wonder if we will all get similar letters some day, about questionable billing practices by an anti-virus SW company!

• Hello all,

Please see my post here: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=177727

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding Bitdefender products and services.

• I'm here to report that after contacting this company four times in the last four days, they have refused to give me an answer about whether I will receive my refund. I am told to wait for a response with details over and over again.

They do not stand by their 30 day money back guarantee obviously.

• Sounds like they are earning their F rating with the BBB...

THIS BUSINESS IS NOT BBB ACCREDITED

Bitdefender, LLC

Phone: (954) 776-6262

Fax: (954) 776-6462

View Additional Phone Numbers

6301 NW 5 Way, #4300, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309

[email protected]

! There is an alert for this business !

On a scale of A+ to F

Reason for Rating

BBB Ratings System Overview

http://www.bbb.org/south-east-florida/busi...04#reasonrating

That's pathetic. Shame on them all.

• Bitdefender acts like thieves. They charged my Amex today for renewal of their already forgotten nightmare AV without my permission. We call such act thievery in our country. Maybe in Romania no. I own another AV already. I wrote complain, but still no answer. Do not have any deals with this company. I'll wait another 2 days and ask my bank to get funds back. It looks like Bitdefender is going to bankrupt if they need such ways to collect money.

• Without my approval, authorization how can you transact money from my card and with a wrong billing address? Oh Because I clicked autorenewal option during my purchase...It has been 3 days since I saw the email from Avangate about my order without my permission. I immediately sent an email, spoke to 4 technical support staff of bitdefender already. No solution...I am asking for my money, it is this simple, I do not want your product. If you do not respond by tomorrow I will have to dispute the order with my bank.

• Without my approval, authorization how can you transact money from my card and with a wrong billing address? Oh Because I clicked autorenewal option during my purchase...It has been 3 days since I saw the email from Avangate about my order without my permission. I immediately sent an email, spoke to 4 technical support staff of bitdefender already. No solution...I am asking for my money, it is this simple, I do not want your product. If you do not respond by tomorrow I will have to dispute the order with my bank.

Yeah. I have the same problem. 19.01.2014 my credit card was charged without permission for renewal. They sent reminder email for renewal which I ignored, but charged my credit. I asked them why? They told me, that I've chose autorenewal option when I bought license year ago so they took money 99.95 USD :) Bigger sum than initial license purchase :) It is 11 days and no refund. How could you call such behaviour? I think it's not a matter for dispute it's a matter for police investigation.

• This is unacceptable. I've also got caught in this stupid business policy and I was surprised with a billing in my PayPal account from Avangate.

I've sent an e-mail to the Avangate support and opened a dispute in PayPal. If it doesn't work, I will have to contact my bank and explain the situation. It's really sad to see a company acting so low to keep their costumers.

• This is unacceptable. I've also got caught in this stupid business policy and I was surprised with a billing in my PayPal account from Avangate.

I've sent an e-mail to the Avangate support and opened a dispute in PayPal. If it doesn't work, I will have to contact my bank and explain the situation. It's really sad to see a company acting so low to keep their costumers.

LOL. I one-upped them. I have (what I call) a disposable PayPal. See, this specific PayPal does NOT have any credit cards or bank accounts attached to it. That way, if anyone tries to charge it, that charge will BOUNCE :P

Another thing you can do is use a Visa Gift Card. Simply load the exact amount (plus tax) on the card, then once you purchase, toss it in the trash. Any renewal payments attempting to charge the disposable Visa card will bounce. HA! :P

Yeah, I seldom get screwed over by companies because I do things like this. Though I agree with the other posts, you shouldn't have to.

• They just got me.

It's 2019 now.

This is unacceptable.

I've filed a complaint with the Competition Bureau Canada. They're a Federal Government Agency and hopefully will put pressure on them to end this deceptive and unethical business practice.

This discussion has been closed.