How to I do stop momentarily all real time protection?

Bob4K
edited December 2019 in Protection

Setting the Bitshield Defender to OFF is not enough.

Thanks.

Comments

• Good question.

I, too, have been unsuccessful in my attempts at temporarily turning Bitdefender Total Security off (in order to determine if it is Bitdefender which is responsible for certain symptoms).  You'd think un-checking the ON/OFF switch for each of the several major functional capabilities presented on the Protection screen would do it, but no.  And this is true for Firewall as well.

The only solution (for me, anyway) has been to totally uninstall the product (retaining current settings and customizations when offered a choice, for use at reinstall time), and then to re-boot.  The uninstall (using Control Panel) has to be for ALL of the components of the product, otherwise automatic reinstall will start when you re-boot (although you can still cancel it right away if it actually does start reinstalling, in order to proceed with your special temporary testing without Bitdefender installed... and then genuinely reinstall after you're done).

I agree with you that it seems there should be a way of just turning the product on or off, without necessitating a complete uninstall as your only way to accomplish eliminating Bitdefender from the environment long enough to test something (or maybe install something which requests that your A/V be disabled). I haven't found it, if it exists.

• Well, thanks for the quick answer.

That makes a no-go for me for this product.

The Firewall settings are insane too. It *seems* allowing everything by default, and if you change that to block, allowing specific programs does not work.

That's 2 major bugs making the program unusable.

• Hello /index.php?/profile/218083-bob4k/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="218083" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/218083-bob4k/" rel="">@Bob4K and /index.php?/profile/216340-dsperber/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="216340" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/216340-dsperber/" rel="">@DSperber,

In order to address your concerns, turning off all of the protection modules in Bitdefender > Protection will truly disable the actual modules, however, some of the services which are required to ensure the security solution's and the operating system's integrity will not be disabled. 

Kindly provide me with more details and if possible a screenshot of the issues you are encountering and we'll gladly further investigate.

- Bob4K - Please provide me with more details regarding the situation you're encountering as the symptoms you reported are not intended, nor known bugs.

• Hi Alex,

Thanks for your assistance offer.

Unfortunately, I already un-installed the trial. I found out that the default settings for the firewall seems to be to let every program allowed (same as Windows Firewall), since all my applications could connect without having me to authorize them. I changed the settings to block by default, and started to authorize manually some EXEs... which did not work, they stayed blocked.

I decided that Bitdefender was not for me, too (2!) many fundamental problems.

As for your firewall, I suggest that you visit the following freeware site: https://tinywall.pados.hu/

It's the best way to manage a firewall. Everything is blocked by default, and you NEVER get a pop-up asking permission. Most users don't know what is what, and end up clicking yes every time. Instead you grant permission manually in a very easy way, by clicking on an opened window or selecting a process or an exe that you want to connect to the Internet. It also has an auto-learn mode.

If you manage to change the protection to be able to stop it completely, and update your Firewall to work that way, I'll reconsider your product.

Best.

• On 12/24/2019 at 1:28 AM, Bob4K said:

It's the best way to manage a firewall. Everything is blocked by default, and you NEVER get a pop-up asking permission. Most users don't know what is what, and end up clicking yes every time. Instead you grant permission manually in a very easy way, by clicking on an opened window or selecting a process or an exe that you want to connect to the Internet. It also has an auto-learn mode.

If you manage to change the protection to be able to stop it completely, and update your Firewall to work that way, I'll reconsider your product.

Well, an ideal firewall doesn't block everything by default.  It blocks inbound traffic in general unless a unique situation or programme demands an exception.  I was wondering why the support team hadn't explained to us so far why it's all right that the Bitdefender fiirewall allows all the inbound traffic by default.

Happy New Year!

• 14 minutes ago, Adikrishvara said:

Well, an ideal firewall doesn't block everything by default.  It blocks inbound traffic in general unless a unique situation or programme demands an exception.  I was wondering why the support team hadn't explained to us so far why it's all right that the Bitdefender fiirewall allows all the inbound traffic by default.

I meant it should block outbound traffic by default. It's a sensible method: no pop ups, and if the user starts an app that needs to connect, he sees it's not working and authorizes it.

When there are constant pop ups, users end up clicking yes without thinking.

• 5 minutes ago, Bob4K said:

I meant it should block outbound traffic by default. It's a sensible method: no pop ups, and if the user starts an app that needs to connect, he sees it's not working and authorizes it.

I see. Indeed, you're right about that.  The users will be tricked into allowing everything and the firewall turns out to be a paper door.  I'm still waiting for the official reponse from Bitdefender concerning this issue.

• I did not invent the concept: https://tinywall.pados.hu/features.php

• 1 hour ago, Bob4K said:

I didn't notice that.  You said that outbound traffic needed blocking.  It's inbound traffic that requires it.  If you block all the outbound traffic, your Internet browsers won't be able to go anywhere.  Your operating system and other software can't receive any automatic updates, either. 

• Bob4K
    edited January 2020

3 hours ago, Adikrishvara said:

I didn't notice that.  You said that outbound traffic needed blocking.  It's inbound traffic that requires it.  If you block all the outbound traffic, your Internet browsers won't be able to go anywhere.  Your operating system and other software can't receive any automatic updates, either. 

That's the programs that you unlock, knowing that you need them. When you try to use Firefox and it does not connect, you unlock it specifically knowing what you're doing. But if you get a pop-up saying that somethings that looks like a legitimate file system (nothing prevents a virus to call itself Internet Explorer), most people click yes without checking it's really IE.

A virus will try to send your bank account and passwords info, that's what you need to block, and that's outbound.

Inbound also needs to be locked by default, the unlocking process generally allows both.

A good firewall needs an auto-learn mode because some programs use several EXEs and DLLs. Automatic updates are a good example. When the system is new and clean, or after a scan, you set the firewall to autolearn mode, and launch an update. After that, the various components needed for  an update are allowed.

• 3 hours ago, Bob4K said:

A virus will try to send your bank account and passwords info, that's what you need to block, and that's outbound.

Indeed.  Only when your computer is infected.  So, not everything outbound.  Such an infection may come from a malicious website, unknown programmes or software-cracking packages bundled with malware.  That's exactly when a certain outbound traffic becomes dangerous.  It depends on strong monitoring and filtering of the firewall.  However, such a defense tries its best to protect but to no avail sometimes.  We finally resort to the multi-layered protective features of the antivirus.  Hackers may take advatnage of any unconditioned inbound traffic to attack your computer.  Blocking the two-way traffic of unknown programmes and all the inbound traffic is necessary.  Bitdefender should explain why they think it's all right to let duplex traffic through the firewall.  Don't tell me that the filtering and monitoring fucntions of the Bitdefender firewall are 100% trustworthy.

• One of the reasons I did not buy the product is the firewall, so I'm telling it's not! Its default config is insane.