Bitdefender CPU usage abnormally high

Bitdefender Total Security 2019 hogs my CPU. (Intel core i5-7600 running at 3.50GHz with 8Gb RAM, Windows 10, 5 internal hard drives - a mix of M2 and SSHDs.) It doesn't happen all the time, always just after start-up if I allow Bitdefender to do that (Protection > Antivirus > Settings > Shield > Advanced settings > Early boot scan ON), but if that setting is OFF then the problem will happen at a time of Bitdefender's choosing. It seems to hog the machine for 45 minutes until its scheduled scan is complete.

Switching on and off various features appears to make no difference to this behaviour.

The process name of the culprit is always bdservicehost (Bitdefender Virus Shield). When it is doing its worst, it hogs between 90% and 98% of the CPU and the machine grinds to a halt. Other work is almost pointless to attempt because there are no free CPU resources to deploy to that work. When it is not doing its intense scanning (I suppose), the machine is perfectly usable.

This is the only process on the machine that Task Manager reports as having a Very High Trend. I need a fix or else it gets uninstalled and you lose a customer. Happy Christmas!

Bitdefender high CPU screenshot.jpg

Comments

• Hello /index.php?/profile/214691-robtom/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="214691" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/214691-robtom/" rel="">@robtom,

Please let me know, did you configure the scheduled scan to have a High Scan Task Priority? You can check this by editing the scheduled scan.

• Hello Alex,

No, I didn't set it to have a High Scan Task Priority.

Thanks.

• Hello /index.php?/profile/214691-robtom/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="214691" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/214691-robtom/" rel="">@robtom,

We need to further investigate the situation you're encountering. Kindly email us at b[email protected] and reply to this thread with the support ticket number that will be sent automatically as a reply to your mail.

• cool1007cool1007
    edited January 2020

Hi /index.php?/profile/214691-robtom/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="214691" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/214691-robtom/" rel="">@robtom,

I have had this issue for months (since September) and up until November, Bitdefender Tech Support has not been able to solve it. Did you?

I already sent another reply to my old ticket No. 2019092716340003, but I have little hope. If they can't fix this I think I'll switch to ***.

Thank you,

• robtomrobtom
    edited January 2020

Hi cool1007,

I actually gave up on this. The problem was slowing the machine down so excessively that I ended up deleting the software rather than going through hoops with their tech support people. There was such an abundance of accounts like mine - and yours - on this forum and elsewhere that I reckoned that this issue, in spite of my best efforts to research it and circumvent it myself, would not get solved anyway. Good luck with your issue.***

• Hello /index.php?/profile/151089-cool1007/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="151089" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/151089-cool1007/" rel="">@cool1007,

As discussed via the ticketing system, we're glad to hear that the situation is now solved!

/index.php?/profile/214691-robtom/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="214691" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/214691-robtom/" rel="">@robtom We were looking forward to investigating upon the slowdowns you encountered. I'm quite certain that it can be solved. 

Looking forward to picking up your support ticket, should you decide to continue the troubleshooting process!

• I too have had this problem. It seems to occur when I initially boot-up my system. I have a gauge on my desktop the shows CPU, GPU, drives, etc. and bdservicehost seems to run in the neighborhood of 87-93% upon booting. My solution has been to reboot the system and the CPU runs at the normal range and I no longer see bdservicehost in my processes hogging everything. I have had no luck in switching it off or delaying its starting at boot.

I wish there was another solution than what I have come up with though.

• I have 8 License keys with Bitdefender, in total I have 2 Laptops, 1 remote server, 1 home server and 2 home gaming machines, all now running Bitdefender. That’s 6 machines all with the same problem. If I leave all machines on, after a short time the CPU's all Max out apart from the AMD Ryzen 7 3700x. That one goes up between 40-60 %. I have dug around constantly and still can’t get this rite. I have uninstalled it for now on the two servers because they are un usable at 100% CPU usage. I am now running AVG on both servers with zero issues. I do like Bitdefender and the firewall however if I can’t get this fixed, I’m going to have to install a hardware firewall. If this cant be fixed can I get a refund?

• I am also having this problem and requesting a refund. "Light on system resources," HA!!!

• I am facing the same issue. Bitdefender claims about low on resources is a big lie.

• I see the same problem, according to Redit BitDefender Devs know about this and are working on it - how about they tell the mods in the official support forum!

• Try changing your bitdefender profile to game mode (under utilities tab), this suppresses background activity from the software. This reduced my bitdefender CPU load from a constant 10% to 0.1%. Of course, this probably also reduces the level of protection you are receiving.

• JeffCJeffC
    edited September 2020

I am also having this problem. I'm using the newest Total Security on a modern Thinkpad, a decent machine, but CPU usage for bdservicehost is always between 20%-60%, except sometimes very briefly after start-up when it can be under 1%. I don't know when this began, but I noticed it about a week ago. I switched to Total Security from regular Bitdefender Antivirus a few weeks ago. I have tried re-installing twice, that didn't work. I contacted support 6 days ago, and the only advice I've received in that time is an email suggesting that I re-install. It has now been 4 days since that email, and I've received no advice since then.

I'm about an hour away from uninstalling Bitdefender and trying another company's product. What else can I do, really?

If support is reading this, my ticket is 1005642863.

• I'm also having this problem, although when I turned off protection & turned it back on, it didn't go back upto 100%, but b/c everyone else is having this issue, I'm going to have to look for something else.

You guys don't even have a "turn off for an hour" feature.

I don't see ANY features with your software. I'm new to BD.

• I run the family version of BD and when I go to task manager it says that BD parental control is hogging 46% of my kids device constantly. Sort this out BD.

• edited January 6

i just started using this less than a month ago. this is the 1st time that i've had this problem. powerful i7 windows 10 pc taking up 70% of cpu. bitdefender is NOT performing a scan at the present time. this is the process running.

as you can see (screenshot of task manager) the 1 bitdefender process that's consuming a significant amount of cpu is

bdservicehost.exe bdsheildsrv_config.json

this is the contents of the json (appears ok):

{

"version": 1.0,

"serviceName": "VSSERV",

"serviceDisplayName": "Bitdefender Virus Shield",

"serviceGroup": "System Reserved",

"serviceDescription": "Contains the Bitdefender virus shield components.",

"relativeDllPath": "services\\bdshieldservice.dll",

"acceptedControls": [ "SHUTDOWN", "SESSIONCHANGE", "POWEREVENT", "USERMODEREBOOT" ],

"registeredEvents": [ "ACDC_POWER_SOURCE", "BATTERY_PERCENTAGE" ]

}

unable to kill the process (as admin) via task manager, powershell, pskill.

unable to stop the service bitdefender virus sheild.

found that if i open bitdefender and go to protection | advanced | bitdefender shield... turn it off wait (30 seconds) turn it on then (30 seconds) it remains at ~ 1%.

no clue the reason it went crazy... but something bitdefender should look into.

i'll look in a log if someone tells me where the logs are.

• I'm having the same problem.

Before I came here, I turned all "Protection Features" OFF and went back to Task Manager, there was NO CHANGE.

When I turned them all ON again the offending process stopped.

I did start and stop "Quick Scan" and "System Scan" while I was hacking around.

OMEN i7-7700K @ 4.50Ghz, 32Mb, W10 Pro 64 20H2 Build 19042.746, w/GeForce 1080 GTX 8Gb, 3x1Tb Samsung SSD.

I have 15 copys on development machines, lets fix this NOW BitDefender.

• Chuck_IVChuck_IV ✭✭
    edited March 11

Having this issue too. As I type this bdservicehost/Bitdefender Virus Shield is consuming over 16% of my CPU while doing, supposedly, nothing. It is keeping my CPU temps in the mid 40’sC when they normally idle at around 30C

However, at certain times, I’ll check and the same process will be using less than 1% and my idle temps will be fine.

Even turning off ALL protection, the virus shield will continue to use 16% or so of my CPU, no matter what. It’s like BD is running some type of scan in the background that the user has no control over nor is able to see. Also, my hard drive light is going nuts so it definitely looks like it is doing some type of hidden scan

I am about ready to kick BD to the curb over this. It has to stop.

I have done a complete uninstall(CPU usage goes back to normal) using the uninstall tool and reinstall but it continues. BD 2020 didn’t have this issue for me.

EDIT

it is the Real Time Protection that is causing this. If I disable it and reboot, my CPU is at 3% and no hard drive thrashing. Once I turn it on the Real Time Protection, the hard rice goes crazy and CPU usage sits at 16%. This goes on for an HOUR OR MORE on an i9 10900 machine.

it should NOT be doing this for that long or even at ALL unless it is doing a full scan.

**EDIT 2 **

I have to remove this for the time being. Been running my CPU at 16%, thrashing my hard drive and keeping my CPU temps a good 10-15 degrees higher than normal for several HOURS now.

Please FIX it ASAP. This thread is quite old too and has been going for a while.

• I believe the issue has something to do with USB devices. Stumbled across it on accident. While looking at the Windows 10 Task Manager, bdservicehost was at a constant 14+% CPU usage; however, the moment I unplugged my USB-C drive and the CPU usage dropped to less than 1%. My drive is warm like it had been running constantly, so I believe there is something in the programming that constantly scans external devices. Please forward this to the dev team so they can address the issue.

• Just reinstalled BD after a 3 month "protest uninstall" was pushing up CPU and Ram constantly. Has been fresh installed (latest version) and after an hour back to thrashing my Mac, same for all 5 of my machines.

Tried all the fixes last time, not interested in spending the time again, so cancelling my auto license renewal, you have not addressed this issue in years now 😑

• We have the same problem. 95-100% CPU consumed by "BDServicehost". Impossible to do any work.

And the only thing I see here is a minor orgy of Bitdefender customer time lost and frustration being gained with no solution in sight from the Bitdefender. As always with inferior suppliers our company will spend our money elsewhere. Out you go Bitdefender.

• I only experienced the 100% HD activity after I did a full system scan a few weeks ago.

Since then I've narrowed it down to 3 processes, one of which was bdServicehost.exe. I eliminated the other 2, but on start-up, bdServicehost.exe continued to thrash my drives (mirrored RAID) so I uninstalled Bitdefender and put something else in its place. That has resolved my problem.

Only problem now is my account does not have the option to cancel Auto-Renewal.

Are ther any other options for cancelling auto-renewal?

• SparticusSparticus
    edited May 6
    I'm actually writing to report the polar opposite of this problem, but somehow I feel like the solution is going to be the same. I have a Rome Generation ThreadRipper processor with 64 physical cores, when I manually trigger a scan, I want it to make that processor bleed! If there is any sort of a setting that alters how much of the CPU/Memory you're willing to give to the full system scan, I'd love to hear it. I've way too many files to go through for this thing to sit there and wait while this uses less than a 10th of what it has available.
  • showp1984showp1984
    edited May 13
    I thought I had the same issue on my macs, but I found out that the toggle to ignore backups ("Don't scan content in backups") doesn't exclude local timemachine snapshots.

Adding "/Volumes/com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots/Backups.backupdb/YourMacName" to the exclude list resolved the issue on all of my macs during local snapshot creation - which appears to be done quite frequently by macOS
  • I have 25+/- license of this. I am experiencing the same situations as described above.

These are not old machines. Most are Core i5's or Core i7's with 8-16GB RAM. Most are SSD while a few are spinning disk.

On every machine, the downloader, endpoint and other services are hogs plain and simple. Task Manager always has them at moderate to very high. With the mix I have it is not the machines, it is the one thing in common... Bitdefender.

The annoyance of supposedly needing a full scan constantly is crazy. Is Bitdefender proactive? The scan itself takes forever and the machine lags even worse for a while after it. Big shocker since Bitdefender already eats as much or more than most other processes.

I switched my company to Bitdefender from another product. I am now reevaluating my decision as it seems to have been a mistake in choosing this product.

• This dropped my cpu usage on my Macbook air by about 50%. I also excepted

/Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb but it didn't seem to make much more difference. It still says "scanning new files".

• Has anyone found a solution to this? bdservicehost is running 90-95% of my CPU for a significant time after booting up. This has to stop or I'm dumping BD.

• I started to have the same issue on a brand new installed PC (win10, 21h1, I7 CPU, 32Gb). Even after deactivating all modules, still it takes huge CPU load. Any solution found? Other than uninstalling it?

• I've had BD hog resources for a fair while now. Taken it off i3 and i5 laptops. Tonight had to disable everything as it ground my PC to a halt. If my i9-10900F 32gb RAM machine can't handle it, god knows what lesser machines will do.

However, this was when I was downloading a 28GB update for something. As soon as that update was finished, I restarted all the protection and CPU usage went down from 16% to 1%, and power sage went from Very High to Very Low.

BD has an issu

• I've had BD hog resources for a fair while now. Taken it off i3 and i5 laptops. Tonight had to disable everything as it ground my PC to a halt. If my i9-10900F 32gb RAM machine can't handle it, god knows what lesser machines will do.

However, this was when I was downloading a 28GB update for something. As soon as that update was finished, I restarted all the protection and CPU usage went down from 16% to 1%, and power sage went from Very High to Very Low.

BD has an issue with hogging resources. My 3 year subscription comes to an end shortly, and I cancelled my auto renew (which elicited a 30% discount straight away!) as I think it time to look at the competition.