Firewall blocks svchost exe

I recently purchased Bitdefender for the first time. Everything seems fine except for one thing, when I check the firewall it tells me that it is continually blocking svchost exe.

I haven't had any problems because of this but I know svchost exe is an important part of Windows 10. Should I be worried that the firewall is continually blocking it?

I have a Lenovo laptop, Windows 10.

Thanks for any info and help.

Comments

• Hi Flexx,

I did everything you advised and there were no viruses At first, when I checked, svchost exe was unblocked but when I checked an hour later it was permanently blocked again.

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited May 2020

Hi member,

This looks weird. We did the basic troubleshooting, but still your issue seems unresolved. We cannot play with SVCHOST.EXE since it is a critical system file. We can set SVCHOST to exception so that the issue does not persists again, but the main issue here is not that. Issue is as to why bitdefender is blocking SVCHOST.

I would request you to kindly drop an email to bitsy@bitdefender.com & let's see if bitdefender support can help you in any way. Kindly note that reply might take time due to covid19 & less staff, but support staff will reply back as soon as possible.

Additionally I have tagged Staff members to have a look at this post : @Alex D. @Andy_BD , but kindly make sure you still drop an email to bitdefender support.

Regards

Flex.

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Something similar happened to me. My bitdefender showed it was blocking system and svchost.exe on the Application access page. I had to manually add svchost.exe to the Rules but my thought on this is that it was triggered by a [possible] change in svchost due to a large windows update. my internet was thrown out etc similar to described conditions.

• Same thing here.

I just installed Windows 10 from scratch, and Bitdefender blocks svchost.exe, limiting some functionalities of Windows such as activation.

And I also did a full system scan, but it didn't find anything.

Why is that?

In the meantime, I contacted Bitdefender support about this. I'll keep you posted.

• I had similar issue, following steps resolved this:

Open Bitdefender Security Widget

Go to Protection

Click Settings in Firewall Card

Click Settings Tab

Look for Default application behaviour

Click Edit default rules

You will see list of your connections. See if any is by default set to block. If so, set it to Automatic or Allow.