A question about processes, and I met segurazo today

We’re running Antivirus Plus on three computers and I’ve got a couple questions.

1.       There SEEM to be a LOT of processes for BitDefender

2.      BD redline update

3.      Bdservice host – at least 4 of those

4.      Bitdefender agent

5.      Bitdefender Network OS Helper Process

6.      Bitdefender VPN service

Does it really need this many processes just to keep junk off the box? We don’t even use VPN but the service is always sitting there.

What triggered this is even though we’ve regularly scanned, this morning while editing a Word document, my browser blew up with some big, red alert and the whole system slowed to a crawl. Browser was unusable, my wireless mouse disappeared then came back VERY laggy. Even word got so slow it was unusable. I saved and got out, killed the browser, but saw a word – segurazo before it closed.

Rebooted and everything was STILL virtually unusable.

Switched to the laptop, went out and looked, and found out segurazo is some product or virus or malware or whatever, but it appeared to be causing a problem. And it’s DEFINITELY not something I knowingly ever installed on any system.

I finally booted the system into safe mode and killed it with Malwarebytes, but I’m concerned that if Bitdefender didn’t care about this, how many other types of garbage is it not keeping off these systems?

Comments

• Hello @Gracie ,

Greeting. I understood the issue and concerns you are having.

Regarding processes,

Bitdefender has lots of protection modules and those are all the processes running in background to make sure everything is safe and sound.

Regarding VPN service,

You can also disable / remove Bitdefender VPN. Right click on the bitdefender VPN icon on system tray and select Settings. From there you can turn OFF the startup. Attaching a screenshot for more details.

Regarding the malware you came across,

• Just to confirm if its a malware, you can always upload the file to www.virustotal.com where you can see realtime results on the scan with all the popular antivirus programs.
    • If you think Bitdefender failed to detect a malware (which is odd), you can submit the file to Bitdefender team for further study and they will release an update to detect the malware. You can do it from here: https://www.bitdefender.com/submit/

If you find this response helpful, please mark it as accepted / agree.

Thanks and regards,

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited June 2020

Hi @Gracie

Regarding the segurazo antivirus, it is an pup (unwanted software). Bitdefender does detect these kinds of software as Application.Deceptor, one example of segurazo antivirus being detected as (https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/8edc1dc6f11fec9999e257fc7c99f9b4bc590f6ac9015f3b5d49f3f90394c642/detection)

The variant you are facing is the updated version of segurazo antivirus (pup) and might be currently undetected by bitdefedner.

You can share the sample with malware research team through online forum (https://www.bitdefender.com/submit/) & if the updated variant of sample is indeed a pup, detection will be added to all bitdefender products in maximum of 72 hours.

If this helps, kindly mark answer as agree/ accepted

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• I don't know what segurazo is SUPPOSED to be, but I KNOW that on June 1, it went ballistic and shut down the whole desktop system. It was bad enough I couldn't even get the MOUSE TO WORK, much less save and exit gracefully from Word.

I spent an HOUR (plus) going onto the laptop to find out how to get rid of this 'NOT MALWARE', and booting the desktop into safe boot to clean everything up.

So, whether it was the malware or some benign whatever, it created one hell of a mess. And that Bitdefender didn't pick it up is extremely troubling (striving mightily to remain PC and not express just how troubling). And that I had to go in an manually find it and mess around to kill it is even MORE troubling. I hope this isn't going to be a regular occurrence, 'cause I expect FAR better of software I'm paying for. On top of everything else, I had to try to explain to the domestic associate WHY I was having to go in with the free version of Malwarebytes to clean up after Bitdefender didn't pick it up...

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

@Gracie

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

The latest version of segurazo antivirus has already been reported to malware researchers. The detection will be available in maximum of 72 hours if the malware researchers find the app to be under the classification of unwanted software.

Additionally, in future, you can also share the sample with malware research team through online forum (https://www.bitdefender.com/submit/) & if the sample is indeed malicious, detection will be added to all bitdefender products in maximum of 72 hours.

If this helps, kindly mark answer as agree/ accepted

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)