Auto Update Delays

I've been reporting this since TS 2018 but even now in TS 2020 Auto Update is slow to start. I just installed one of my licenses on a new computer yesterday and this morning it has been at least 30 minutes since the update has been performed. Update Automatically is selected and Update Check Interval is one hour.

BD TS 2020 should auto update in no more than five minutes after a computer is booted in the morning otherwise the system does not have protection against zero day threats.

I advise everybody to check the update times on your systems. You may not be protected either.

Notice in the screenshot no update has been performed in 30 minutes.

Again I've reported this issue for years. It needs to be fixed. Their response so far was to remove the yellow check mark and red x from the now useless security widget. BD TS 2020 offers some of the best protection in the industry which is why I still use it but it is buggy and becoming a resource hog. I just checked and it's been 36 inutes since "auto" update has been performed. Not acceptable.

Comments

• Teksonik
    Teksonik ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Here's another example from my laptop on June 3rd. Notice an hour ago TS found an update for Firefox but yet didn't realize it hadn't been updated itself since May 30th four days earlier. It took an hour to "auto" update so that means for an hour I had four day old definitions.

Not acceptable.

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Hi @Teksonik

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. Since the support on the forum is limited, I will try to help you as far as I can.

Kindly note that time between two successful update is 1 hour by default. The update of definition also depends on the speed & connectivity of your connection, also if you are using a VPN or are directly connected to your ISP.

VPN can sometimes cause update issues, but that to in rare cases. But if you are directly connected to your ISP and still facing an issue, then I would like you to gather logs and submit report to bitdefender support. Logs are manadatory to help get rid of your issues as soon as possible.

How to create bitdefender logs and share them with support team : https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/8919/

Now talking about availability of updating the software after every 5 minutes for zero days :

First of all, zero days are flaws in the system software/ hardware and the updates you receive via bitdefender are for signature based malware, that are created by malware researchers. Zero days are independent of signature based detection. Hence update has not to do anything with zero days attack. Bitdefender has other built in product technologies that protect you from zero day attack.

And this is not only true for Bitdefender, it is true for almost all AV vendors in the market.

Even if I assume that zero day attack will have signature based detection, no AV vendor will release detection every 5 minutes. As you already have an idea ,bitdefender releases detection updates every one hour. Let me give you some more examples :

ESET - releases detection updates every 3-4 hours

Kaspersky - releases detection updates every 3 hours and list continues.

Now coming to your software update issue (in your case firefox) :

As per you bitdefender reported that there is an update available for firefox but it was detected late. One should note that firefox & bitdefender are 2 different companies. So as fast as you will receive an update directly from firefox, you will not receive it from bitdefender.

Here you should know that bitdefender is acting a 3rd party vendor to update your system software. Hence until the bitdefender server will not receive the update from the original vendor (firefox in your case), it will not be able to detect whether the software on your PC is old or updated.

If you still have any query, kindly drop an email to bitdefender support at bitsy@bitdefender.com .

Response may be delayed due to less staff and covid19. Rest be assured, they will reply back asap.

If this helps, kindly mark answer as agree/ accepted

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Thanks but I was a private beta tester for TS 2019 so I don't need the newbie information. I have used almost every security suite out there so I'm well aware of how they work.

You're completely missing the point. Say someone works in an office and shuts their computer down on Friday. They come back to work on Monday and start their computer up. What you're saying is it's OK for them to have definitions that are almost three days old while they are working because Bitdefender doesn't know when it needs to be updated even though it knows Firefox needs updating?

That's ridiculous. Yes I brought these issues up during beta testing, they were ignored or dismissed so I resigned in disgust.

Like I said this performance is unacceptable. From the website: "Bitdefender Total Security 2020 works against all e-threats, from viruses, worms and Trojans, to ransomware, zero-day exploits".

Not if it doesn't automatically update at bootup. It should update at bootup and then check for updates each hour or whenever the "Update Check Interval" is set for.

Anyway I suppose "support" is still limited on the forums so I don't suppose it will ever get fixed.

Unfortunately there really aren't many alternatives to Bitdefender so I'm stuck with manually updating when I boot up in the morning.

I advise everyone if you don't use your computer for a couple of days do a manual update otherwise you'll be working with outdated definitions for at least an hour.

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Well in that case you can only drop an email to bitdefender support at bitsy@bitdefender.com & they can share the feedback with development team.

Regards

Flex

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)