Can't Install Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac on 2015 MacBook Air Running MacOS Catalina 10.15.4

Trying to install install Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac on my 2015 MacBook Air running MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 and keep getting a dialog box at end of installation saying "The Installation Failed. The iInstaller encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."

Is there a compatibility problem between MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 and Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac?

Comments

• The problem may be associated with what many of us are experiencing on macOS Catalina 10.15.4, who have successfully installed Bitdefender's Antivirus for the Mac. Here is what is the message I am receiving and it has to do with Bitdefender having an extension that is very old, or considered legacy software by Apple. Bitdefender needs to make adjustments to their software or we who love Bitdefender may have to start looking for an alternative for our Mac computers. I use Bitdefender on my Windows PC and Mac, and would rather not change but Apple may force that, unless Support at Bitdefender updates their code. Here are the messages I see with macOS Catalina 10/15.4 running:

A Notice Form Apple:

"About legacy system extensions

Some systems extensions will not be compatible with a future version of macOS

System extensions are a category of software that works in the background to extend the functionality of your Mac. Some apps install kernel extensions, which are a kind of system extension that works using older methods that aren't as secure or reliable as modern alternatives. Your Mac identifies these as legacy system extensions.

In 2019 Apple informed developers that macOS Catalina will be the last macOS to fully support legacy system extensions, and we've been working with developers to transition their software. By moving beyond these extensions, developers are helping to further modernize the Mac, improve its security and reliability, and enable more user-friendly software distribution methods. A final transition date has not yet been set.

Until the transition is complete, your Mac displays a message when a legacy system extension first loads, and again periodically while the extension remains in use. This give you advance notice that existing software on your system loaded a system extension that will be incompatible with a future version of macOS."

Now also receiving this message from Apple Safari, which may be one of the problems:

"Safari no longer supports this extension.

You can find new and updated extensions in the App 

Store or from developers' websites."

As I am about to renew my subscription for 'Bitdefender - Family Pack' which allows me to have 

"Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac," what support will be provided by Bitdefender for Apple macOS further upgrades beyond macOS latest version "Catalina"? A Bitdefender solution is important for me as well. Let me know if you hear anything. I have posted this in one other area as there appears to be two different conversations on this. If someone in the forum support could consolidate questions and answers in one area to this problem would help.

• I had the same error. He is what happened and how I got it installed.

SENT TO BD SUPPORT:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I had BD installed my Mac with Catalina 10.15.4

I uninstalled BD so that I could install a program.

When I went to reinstall BD I got the following error, as shown in this thread by another user:

https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/82037/cant-install-bitdefender-antivirus-for-mac-on-2015-macbook-air-running-macos-catalina-10-15-4

So, I used this method #2 to uninstall:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1446/

Now when I run the installer it says I’ve installed BD. But! When I look at the BD folder within the Applications folder all I see is an alias to “BitdefenderUninstaller”

If I try and run the installer again it tells me that BD is already installed.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Update ———>

I then ran the uninstaller again.

Then I ran the installer, again. This time it worked and I now have BD reinstalled.

Best of luck.

• Same issue to me. Cannot install bitdefender on catalina 10.15.4 MBP mid 2014 and said I should contact techsupp.

Thanks

• Hello @MMO ,

If the situation persists after following the steps above, please do the following:

Change your DNS settings to Cloudflare DNS, using these steps:

-click Go from the top mac menu

-click Utilities

-click System Preferences

-click Network and then click on your current internet connection - then click Advanced

-click Proxy - and disable all options from the left list. 

-click DNS - and then click on the "+" sign from the left side then add 1.1.1.1 and press Enter, then add 1.0.0.1 (these are the Cloudflare's DNS servers, they will not affect your internet connection at all)

-after you apply the settings, please install Bitdefender once again by downloading a new installation kit from https://central.bitdefender.com

Let me know how it goes!

• Experienced similar issue to this. In the past two weeks I've grown to hate Bitdefender. Not at all impressed with tech support on either the Mac or PC side of the house. I finally ended up deleting it from my Windows 10 Pro machine because it kept quarantining applications that were in the exceptions. On the Mac I have this problem, plus everyday it tries to download and install Bitdefender 2020 and it fails. It also fails to install the VPN software. I've used Bitdefender for several years w/o problems but since the last product update it has been a hot mess.

• I am so frustrated I can not uninstall this piece of shit software from my MAC. I've tried everything short of METHOD 2 https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1446/. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.