Does BitDefender have offices in Romania?

Hello,

I'm sure the answer is an emphatic "no" but I have to ask.

I rec'd an e-mail supposedly from you from "bitdefender@hello.bitdefender.com." I'll include a copy of the message both raw with headers and as a PDF.

The URL goes to: https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/5696860/Bitdefender-Online-Impact-Survey?uid=75304&bundle=com.bitdefender.tsmd&country=US&counter=1&vpn=1&sc_src=email_156365&sc_customer=7876fcb95764be74befa1ea0127a02eab441daaba8b8550377c91a1edc2caf6b&sc_lid=2652470&sc_llid=68033&sc_uid=5pcFUYaaxE

It looked suspicious but I guess I was in a clicky mood and hit the link. I started answering a few of the questions and it became apparent to me the site was bogus. I closed the page and quit my browser.

I've got:

Firefox 78.0.2 (64-bit) for macOS Mojave v. 10.14.6 (18g5033), MBP Retina 15-inch, Mid 2015). Firefox is set to a very harsh level of security. My router is a NetGear Nighthawk R7960P, Firmware Version V1.4.1.50_1.3.10. I've also got a NetGear Modem CM1000, Hardware v. 2.02, Firmware Version V6.01.02. I give you all of this for background info.

When I went back to the message, I discovered the "Romanian" signature line. I'm sure you don't have offices in Bucharest.

I did an immediate check for viruses: nothing found.

You may have already addressed this; however, I feel it important to report this issue just-in-case.

Answers

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

First of all, Bitdefender is a company of Romania. The headquarters is in Bucharest, Romania.

Secondly, the link seems to be genuine bitdefender survey link since it is ending with bitdefender.com domain. To verify you can send an email to bitdefender support at bitsy@bitdefender.com

Response may be delayed due to less staff and covid19. Rest be assured, they will reply back asap.

If this helps, kindly mark answer as agree/ accepted

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Flexx

@mocajoe

1) Bitdefender is a company of Romania having it's headquarters in Bucharest.

2) The links appears to be a valid survey link since the domain ends with bitdefender.com .To confirm you can also drop an email to bitdefender support at bitsy@bitdefender.com

Response may be delayed due to less staff and covid19. Rest be assured, they will reply back asap.

Regards

Flex

• @Flexx

Hi Flex,

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, some quick Internet sluething helped my see Bit Defender is based in Bucharest, Romania.

There is some conflicting information in WHOIS concerning both "static-hello.bitdefender.com" and "hello.bitdefender.com." Tracer-routes are also strange.

Thanks for the info; however, just because an e-mail has the specific domain ending doesn't truly confirm they're an actual outpost/office of Bit Defender. While the URL does appear to end with "bitdefender.com," I'm perplexed by the "static" and "hello" entries.

The "survey" had some strange questions AND it displayed strange images for no apparent reason. That's what keyed me into it being a fake.

Not to worry. I've submitted an actual report to Bit Defender and, just for kicks, sent a report to your contact "Bitsy."

Sincerely,

-MocaJoe

• Flexx

That is why I said you to contact support to get additional information & you already did that. You might get an answer but it may be delayed for obvious covid-19 reasons.

Regards

Flex

• Thanks again @Flexx,

I sent "bitsy" an e-mail. I agree with you, I'm sure the corona virus will hold most everyone, and everything, up.

• Flexx

@mocajoe

1) Bitdefender is a company of Romania having its headquarters in Bucharest.

2) The links appears to be a valid survey link since the domain ends with bitdefender.com .To confirm you can also drop an email to bitdefender support at bitsy@bitdefender.com

Regards

Flex

• Flexx

Hi Member,

1) Bitdefender is a company of Romania having its headquarters in Bucharest.

Regards

Flex