File Shredder??

mdgboxx
mdgboxx ✭✭✭
edited February 2022 in Utilities

For the longest time, I've been getting "Run File Shredder" pop ups on a regular basis. Tonight I decided to give it a GO. I clicked on the "C:" box and it started at 0% as expected. (0/288xxx) An hour later, it is still at "0%" an 331/288xxx. When I clicked the "STOP Button" a pop up says: Bitdefender not responding. I have two questions:

1) How does File Shredder work? As in, what do I do to make it run as it should?

2) What does File Shredder do exactly?

On a side note, I have Revo Uninstaller Free and IObit Pro Paid installed.

Best Answers

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    Answer ✓

@mdgboxx

Well I guess it is quite good that bitdefender hanged itself on 0% since file shredder is a part of bitdefender product which tends to delete the files that you no longer need on your computer and prevents the file recovery even with any data recovery software.

Assuming that your windows was stored on C : drive and you were using the PC in general mode instead of safe mode, you were lucky enough you did not shred your windows files or else the system would have become unbootable.

More information about file shredder : https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2179/

Additionally, both revo uninstaller & iobit uninstaller are the software that tend to delete/ uninstall a particular software from your system which you do not need. The advantage of these software over inbuilt windows uninstaller is that, it removes every trace of the software from you PC for the application you want to install which inbuilt windows uninstaller fails sometimes.

If this helps, kindly mark answer as agree/ accepted

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Flexx
    Answer ✓

Well I have no exact answer as to why it prompted you to use file shredder, but it is advisable, as per me to neglect that notification until you seriously want a specific file to be permanently deleted from your system without a chance of recovery by any means.

But be active as to what you are shredding. It is not advisable to shred any file/ folder in the drive where windows or your applications are installed.

So if your windows is stored in C: drive (let's suppose), then it is not recommended to use file shredder on below stated C: drive folders :

C:\Program Files

C:\Program Files (x86)

C:\ProgramData

C:\Users

C:\Windows

Any improper shredding of files in these folder may either lead to crashing/ hanging of your windows or non functionality of your software application.

Regards

Flex

• mdgboxx
    mdgboxx ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello Flexx,

I have read the link that you gave me:

<< https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2179/>>

I had tried to find the instructions in the "Tutorial" but couldn't find it.

Thank you for being patient with me.

I now know how to safely use the file shredder. I will not make that mistake again.

Jackson

Answers

• Flexx

Respected Sir,

Well I guess it is quite good that bitdefender hanged itself on 0% since file shredder is a part of bitdefender product which tends to delete the files that you no longer need on your computer and prevents the file recovery even with any data recovery software.

Assuming that your windows was stored on C : drive and you were using the PC in general mode instead of safe mode, you were lucky enough you did not shred your windows files or else the system would have become unbootable.

More information about file shredder : https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2179/

Additionally, both revo uninstaller & iobit uninstaller are the software that tend to delete/ uninstall a particular software from your system which you do not need. The advantage of these software over inbuilt windows uninstaller is that, it removes every trace of the software from you PC for the application you want to install which inbuilt windows uninstaller fails sometimes.

If this helps, kindly mark answer as agree/ accepted

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

• mdgboxx
    mdgboxx ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Hello Flexx,

Thank you so much for clearing that up for me. I appreciate it. I realize now, how lucky I am.

Is there a specific reason why BD would prompt me to "Run File Shredder"?

I can understand why it prompted me to enable "Wallet", and I have done it. But why the "File Shredder" Could it be that BD noticed that I was trying to update, then uninstall/reinstall LibreOffice? (Or any other)

Jackson