Conflict with Zone Alarm Firewall without antivirus

I've run ZA for years. I added bitdefender free and had no issues. Recently in the last few days something has happened. My system slowed down and seemed to be overworking. It turned out that there was a message coming up repeatedly that bitdefender was blocking the creation of blablahblah.bak in ProgramData\CheckPoint\Endpoint Security\Threat Emulation\Backup. And it kept fighting with something on this.

As well at this time there seemed to be something reproducing on my system. I disinfected a lot of files in windows/temp. Claimed 6000+. Redid the scan and found no issues.

Checked all the files under the zone alarm folder and no virus. Since bitdefender was still not allowing the creation of the file and as best I could determine za does use a .bak file in that directory, I exempted the directory. Then I notice a day later that bitdefender isn't running. And it won't start. Bitdefender says services not available an the protection is turned off. Uninstalled it and reinstalled and install failed.

Looked for previous notes and only something from 2013. Which I will try uninstall za and install bit then put za back in service.

Best guess is that it has something to do with their ransomware stuff but not sure why it suddenly starting having issue and not sure why it would be running since I don't have the antivirus version of it.

And yes I saw the help section that said bit won't run with other programs, but it has been so not sure on that.

Anyone run both? Any issues?

Comments

• I have the same issue.

• I faced similar issue as well. I have both bitdefender and Zonealarm free firewall (w/o antivirus) for years, and only a few days ago, I started to receive notifications of threat Gen.variant.Zusy blocked/deleted in the Zonealarm threat emulation backup folder, as well as the windows temp folder. Even after scanning and disinfecting or quarantining them, I received a string of repeated notifications again at various times throughout the day.

I tried scanning using other software such as CCleaner (cleaned but same issues) and AdwCleaner (didn't detect any malware). I also tried to uninstall and reinstall Zonealarm too and it didn't work.

Would really appreciate if anyone has any solutions or advice on this.

• Me too. Bit defender doesn't like TrojanDropperZKN , whether in temp folder or Zone Alarm's Threat Emulation backup folder . Going to try reverting to Windows firewall to see if that stops it.

• ................. so far so good :-)

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Hi Member's,

Can you upload the file to virustotal and share the virustotal link.

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Gruffy
    Gruffy
    edited November 2020

Sorry .. better late than never :-) :

Different file now but same situation.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/9c89aba963218295035ae5b23643f05b4c25dcdc2c6544620405a9d21eaaf937/detection

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Hi Member,

Virustotal shows 0 detection.

VT Link : virustotal.com/gui/file/9c89aba963218295035ae5b23643f05b4c25dcdc2c6544620405a9d21eaaf937/detection

If issue persists, kindly contact bitdefender support via dropping an email to bitsy@bitdefender.com .They will reply back asap.

Regards

Flex

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)