Bitdefender Install on MacOS Catalina needs a fix (Workaround exists)

30-Day Trial Customer for Bitdefender FAMILY PACK 2020

Installed Bitdefender 2020 Version 8.1.6.3 on two MacBooks running Catalina 10.15.5 + Supplemental Security Fix on June 2, 2020. Both installs got very confused concerning required "Full Disk Access" permissions. The MacOS install video says that BDLDaemon, BDCoreissues, bdagentd, and Antivirus for Mac require "Full Disk Access", but following the install instructions didn't walk through that for all four. The install claimed to have succeeded, but the Safari browser extensions could not be installed and the product didn't work.

The workaround was manually to unlock "Full Disk Access", set the permissions, and relock. After that, all OK.

PS: I understand the warning about "not compatible with a future MacOS release". Not a concern.

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Hi @HW2

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. Have you tried the procedure available in below link

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/14812/

If no, then I would request you to kindly follow the procedure & if you are still facing any issue, kindly drop an email to bitdefender support at bitsy@bitdefender.com .

Also attach bitdefender logs in the same mail

(how to create bitdefender logs in macOS : https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/11198/)

Response may be delayed due to less staff and covid19. Rest be assured, they will reply back asap.

If this helps, kindly mark answer as agree/ accepted

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Hello @HW2 ,

• Those processes needs full disk access, and the prompt to enable the access during installation was missing on the latest Mac OS version. This is an issue (I had already reported it). You can report it here: https://www.bitdefender.com/support/contact-us.html?last_page=ConsumerCategory
    • Safari browser extension, we need to manually install/enable. I too did the same manually after the installation.

If you find my response helpful, please mark it as accepted/agree.

• I have been running BD on 10.15.6 and encountered performance issues in the last few days. It was continually "unresponsive". I used the uninstall tool, which worked as expected, BUT upon reinstall using a fresh downloaded install package, I get an error message after i authorize by password for the install to occur. I tried to remove the "Full Disk Access" components from the Privacy tab in Systems Prefs expecting that a new installation of these may be done. What is my next step?

• Flexx

Hi Member,

Kindly drop an email to bitdefender support at bitsy@bitdefender.com so that they can help you better & with additional possible solution related to your issue.

Regards

Flex

• I'm having multiple issues with Catalina 10.15.6, on two different machines. It takes from 3 to 5 minutes for the antivirus properly load during the startup and then I'm having continuous "beachballing" when I try to open the main interface.

Reinstalling the product didn't change anything...

I was forced to uninstall the antivirus component and if the situation won't be sorted out I'm not going to renew my subscription

• Flexx

Hi Member,

Kindly drop an email to bitdefender support at bitsy@bitdefender.com so that they can help you better & with additional possible solution related to your issue.

Regards

Flex

• I'm also on Catalina 10.15.6 having the same problem as Flexx. Also tried an uninstall and reinstall to no avail. Have been using Bitdefender for several years and this is the first time having these issues. For the time being, will not reinstall. Will wait for a new version that fixes whatever is going on.

• We'r having trouble with bitdefender locking up the system during normal operation and on shut down. All was well until Catalina came along, is there a fix other than switching to another vendor?

• I am having problems with Bitdefender too. System (Catalina) beachballs after 1 minute and I have to wait about 2 or 3 minutes to manage the next click. Then again beachball. And so on. With Mojave no problem. I am not able to create a log for support because of this problems.

My system is Mac mini, i7 2,3, late 2012, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB, new (!) installed Catalina, no additional software.

• I had Bit Defender installed and running no problem on an older i5 iMac that is capped at Sierra. Windows X too no problem. Decided to install on a late 2018 Macbook pro running 6-core i7 and 16GB. I was stunned with how poorly it ran. The machine was completely crippled. Needless to say Bitdefender was promptly uninstalled.

Then I stumble on this post after concluding the issue was most likely Catalina. At least I know why it was such a disaster!

Ideally the installer would detect the OS and post a warning about what was coming and what was required of the end user.