Antivirus for Mac on Mac OS Big Sur

owl06
owl06

Hi all,

Tomorrow is the day, and there's no compatible version, nor has there been any guidance from Bitdefender. We were told that the product would be ready for the new OS. Please see here: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/3779/

"Here at Bitdefender, we are aware of this change. We are currently working on a new version of Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac and we will provide full support for this technology before the official release of the next macOS version, which is expected later this year."

What's going on? There should at the very least be a warning to customers not to install Big Sur just yet.

-d

Tagged:

Comments

• I got a notification this morning that the extension for the current version of Bitdefender would not be compatible with a future version of MacOS and to notify the developer. Here you go.

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Hi Member

According to bitdefender support, bitdefender products are fully compatible with the stable version of the OS & not with the beta versions. So until apple will not release the stable version of its new OS, bitdefender will not rectify any issues with its own product.

If this helps, kindly mark answer as agree/ accepted

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Hello,

Does that mean that once MacOS Big Sur is released as a stable upgrade on the App Store there will be an update to Bitdefender as well?

• Flexx

Yes, but it might take few days for bitdefender to release support after the stable version of macOS Big Sur is released by apple.

Regards

Flex

• Latest beta (8? 20A5374i) shows Bitdefender as a corrupt application, and the uninstaller won't complete. Manually removing it and reinstalling it does not even add the Bitdefender icon to the application folder - so I guess it's broken until Bitdefender gets around to fixing it.

• You probably should contact the official support

i don't think you get a response here at least in a timely manner.

try their Chat Support or Email them

• Thanks. I did that yesterday and haven't received a response yet. Not exactly timely...

• Having problems also. VPN is crashing and blocking all traffic.

• Flexx
    edited November 2020

Hi Member's

As per bitdefender box support team, the available version of macOS antivirus on bitdefender website is compatible with macOS BigSur.

Below is the chat with box support team.

If you still have the issue persisting, kindly drop an email to bitdefender support at bitsy@bitdefender.com regarding your query .They will reply back asap.

Regards

Flex

• Thanks Flex. Bitdefender Antivirus seems to be, but not the VPN.

• itsParham
    itsParham
    edited November 2020

I hope everything is okay now

i hate to see people complain this much about Bitdefender

maybe someone who has Big Sur updated already check the situation and let us know if everything ok now?

Thank You Flexx for following up the situation so far

Update: Oh Thanks @TravelingTartar for confirming that everything is ok with Bitdefender Antivirus now

• Flexx
    edited November 2020

Kindly drop an email to bitdefender support at bitsy@bitdefender.com regarding vpn query .They will reply back asap. Maximum response time should be 72 hours excluding saturday & sunday in most cases.

Regards

Flex

• I am on Big Sur. Sofar it seems to be compatible. Only thing that happened was that Bitdefender was turned off and I had to turn it on again. BTW, I am talking about Bitdefender Shield. I have another VPN.

• Indeed, like I said, Bitdefender shield works fine, the VPN is the problem.

• I just had the same message pop up running Big Sur 11.0.1 and the installation did not complete successfully even though the installation said it did.

I had to manually uninstall following the instructions on the web site. I tried again with the same results... except I no longer get the message about the extension.

• I did install Big Sur, and I am having problems with Bitdefender. I did reinstall it and doing a new full scan, but I can say the computer is extremely slow and Apple support blames it on Bitdefender. I have 2017 iMac 27 5K retina with 24 GB RAM and 2 TB SSD, so it is not a hardware problem. I hope Bitdefender acts fast!

• I do not understand how a company that claims to be serious does not have this resolved in advance. Hopefully they will do it soon, otherwise we will have to look for alternatives

• I was unable to open the Bitdefender Shield app on my mac and when I tried to uninstall (both with the program and manually) it failed. I contacted Bitdefender and they said this was a known issue and they are working on it. In the mean time I reinstalled Norton which does not expire til Jan. 1.

• Thank you for trusting Bitdefender security solutions.

Upon receiving your case, we inform you that we have released a product update prior to the launch of macOS Big Sur so that Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac can be fully compatible with the new operating system.

• "...we have released...."

Not true. Bitdefender has not released a version that is compatible with Big Sur

• Franki999
    Franki999
    edited November 2020

Well then they lie from the Bitdefender technical service

• Big Sur would not run on my Macbook Air until I deleted Bitdefender. After deleting Bitdefender, Big Sur runs fine

• [Deleted User]
    edited November 2020

Hello and thank you all for your interest for our security solution on the latest Mac OS.

Antivirus for Mac is compatible with Mac OS Big Sur starting with Build Number: 8.2.2.x and has been modified accordingly to offer protection without the previously used kernel extensions.

If you encounter any technical issues after upgrading to Mac OS Big Sur, kindly email us at bitsy@bitdefender.com and we'll gladly assist you, as we're also looking forward to making sure that our solution is in optimal condition to protect all of our users' devices, after the transition initiated by Apple.

• "Antivirus for Mac is compatible with Mac OS Big Sur starting with Build Number: 8.2.2.x and has been modified accordingly to offer protection without the previously used kernel extensions."

Just installed yesterday after booting into safe mode to enable the deletion of all Bitdfender folders and files. Also, I installed Bitdefender in safe mode. After reboot, Bitdefender worked flawlessly with macOS 11.1 beta (20C5048k). Safe mode was also used because I was using another a-v/security solution and wanted to make sure all leftovers from that were also deleted.

• 2019 MBP with Big Sur. No issues.

• Mine is acting funny. Constantly being asked to restart so the updates are done, then a message that the product has expired.

I have rebooted the computer, removed and reloaded Bitdefender and even sent a support message last night. I am at my wits end. I like the program, but this "expired" sucks I am good until October 21, 2021 so it is paid for . Oh goodie, and error 61. I guess my choices are don't restart next time , look for another product that is close and low on resources, or just wait for someone in support to figure out WTF is going on.

• i am having the same problem, but after 5 restarts and nothing changing i gave up. The Anti virus still updates so i presume they are having a problem. Hope they fix it before i have to take auto renewal off.

• i am having the same problem, but after 5 restarts and nothing changing i gave up. The Anti virus still updates so i presume they are having a problem. Hope they fix it before i have to take auto renewal off.

I have just done a manual download from central to the latest version and problem is now sorted, well so far

• Highly recommend to those having problems with Big Sur and Bitdefender to boot into Safe Mode. Then, uninstall, search for "bitdfender" and then delete any files that might have been left over. You can just restart from there and install. I did not do that. I installed Bitdefender after booting - a second time - into Safe Mode.

• Just testing

• BEWARE THEY TRY AND SCAM YOU WITH A £70 RENWAL WHEN YOU BUY AND YOU CANT REFUND

• Hello,

i have a new MAC on apple M1 release 11.0.1.

Actually I have a problem with my antivirus, it's impossible to generate update.

I have open a case to the support.

I come back if the problem is solve.

• I've had a Bitdefender Total Security subscription for years & everything has worked great on PCs running Windows 10, but I just tried to install it on a 2017 Macbook Pro & the only thing that installs is the anti virus. How can I install the rest of the Total Security package? Total Security should be "total security" & not just the anti virus, & when checking Bitdefender Central after installation, it shows one of the open licenses being used by the MacBook Pro even though it doesn't have everything installed. I see a lot of comments regarding incompatibility issues with Bitdefender & the newest iOS so is this the reason why the entire software package won't install? If so, when is this supposed to be fixed? This thread was started almost a year ago so it seems like something should have happened by now, right?

• Today is Feb 26, 2021. I have been following this thread with a lot of interest as I have a 2020 MacBook Air with Catalina v 10.15.7 and have not yet installed Big Sur due to the issues discussed above. I appreciate if anyone could tell me if it safe to install Big Sur now.

• I had the same problem with the "(Null)" issue.

Uninstalled, cleaned from all the left-over files... then when install, it finishes, and when the agent start to download the missing items, it crashes. Basically now I cannot have it installed on my Mac.

So disappointed, opened a ticket 2 days ago and no reply from support. Never had this problem with Norton before, just made a bad decision to buy this product.

• I'm having the same problem, I'm trying to install a non beta copy of BigSur to see if I still have the issue

• Flexx
    edited December 2021

Kindly refrain from posting spam comments or your account will be ban. In extreme cases your IP will be blocked from creating new accounts on bitdefender forum. This place is not for promoting your website.

@Alex D., @Andy_BD

Regards

Flex

• EnriqueRamos
    edited May 2021
    Yes It is clearly stated
  • I had the same issue, VPN is crashing again and again. I don't know what to do