chrome.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an expired certificate to us.shb-sync.com

Otter2020
Otter2020 ✭✭
edited February 2021 in Protection

For a few weeks now I keep getting this warning for the same thing over and over again. I want to allow it so I don't have to keep seeing it but how do I know if it is safe or not. It says, "chrome.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an expired certificate to us.shb-sync.com. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since websites must renew their certificates with a certification authority to stay current, and outdated security certificates represent a risk."

Thanks for any help in advance,

Rhonda

Best Answer

• jammixx
    jammixx
    Answer ✓
    My problem was from msn and usatoday. Delete them from your Bookmarks and clear your cookies. Other sites?

Answers

• I am getting the same warning multiple times a day. I also want to allow if it is safe.

Discussion chrome.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an expired certificate to us.shb-sync.com

Please help,

Donald

• I have even done a full system scan and there has been a recent Chrome update. I will call Bitdefender next. It doesn't seem to be as frequent today but we shall see what happens.

• I received the same thing. Did a quick glance through my certificates in Windows 10 Certificate Manager and could not find one that matched this according to expiration date. Not concerned since it i blocked but Bitdefender staff needs to look into it.

• How did you block it @Bringit ? I wrote to Bitdefender and none of their suggestions worked for me.

• I have discovered the two sites I have as pages that open automatically when I open Chrome seem to be making this us.shb-sync.com occur or so it seems after testing it. The two sites are msn.com and usatoday.com. I am sure others might make this occur, but the thing they have in common is they are both news sites. I have removed them from my list to automatically open and hope this stops the problem.

• From Otter2020:

"Chrome seem to be making this us.shb-sync.com occur or so it seems after testing it. The two sites are msn.com and usatoday.com"

Bingo! USAToday.com is doing it for me. It is likely an ad server site trying to deliver pop up adds on USAToday.com. That ad server has an expired SSL certificate.

• It is great we know about usatoday.com but now other ones are popping up from other ad services like crazy. Especially cooking blogs I am signed up at. Oh well, at least they are being blocked.

• Also getting this warning when using Firefox. So probably site related as suggested. Checking scripting links from USA today...

• WaleedElaghil
    edited May 2021
    This is getting really frustrating and annoying 😤
    Getting it every 1min!
    "chrome.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an unmatching security certificate to analytics3.worldbrain.io. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since the used certificate was issued for a different web address than the targeted one"

Support? Is anyone available to reply?????
  • I am the one who started this message thread and my computer stopped doing showing the expired certificate notifications as much after I stopped going to usatoday.com but I was still getting expired certificates, especially from the us.shb-sync.com, and various other sites for about three more weeks but not as much.

I always keep my updates up-to-date and check every day and one day I noticed I wasn't getting them anymore and haven't received one since. I am not sure why. In fact, I haven't received a red notification about expired certificates in over a month now. So, perhaps they will run their course just like they did for me.
  • Hi Members,

Again a matter of expired certificates.

Why Bitdefender blocks access: when using an expired SSL certificate, there is a continuous risk to the encryption and mutual authentication of website. Websites with expired certificates are prone to attacks by hackers.

Stay safe,
    Mike

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB