Why Does Locating The Phone Takes So Long?(over 10 Mins!)

kinwolf
edited January 2022 in Mobile Security

I have the latest version of BD installed on my GS3 and when I try to locate it, it takes forever. I have to click Locate phone 4-5 times for it to eventually work, and it never takes less than 10 mins to do so. I see the "Acquiring Position" text, but nothing happens after that for a loooooong time. Why is it taking so long?

Also, all the other options(wipe, lock, send alert) are greyed out in the web interface even though they are turned on on the phone. I turned them off and back on on the phone to make sure, but to no avail. Any idea?

Comments

• I have the latest version of BD installed on my GS3 and when I try to locate it, it takes forever. I have to click Locate phone 4-5 times for it to eventually work, and it never takes less than 10 mins to do so. I see the "Acquiring Position" text, but nothing happens after that for a loooooong time. Why is it taking so long?

Also, all the other options(wipe, lock, send alert) are greyed out in the web interface even though they are turned on on the phone. I turned them off and back on on the phone to make sure, but to no avail. Any idea?

did you open the global settings in the action folder, log out, and then log back in using the same account you are logged into the dashboard wth? just a thought... i had a similar problem, reposting

• The experience of taking a long time to locate remains an issue in 2021, so it clearly is an issue that Bitdefender has been unwilling to invest in for improvements. I know for a fact the device being located is connected to the internet. The device (phone in this case), may not have been in the middle of a phone call, text or browser use but it is connected and has a good signal. I have sometimes waited over one hour for an update and typically under those conditions abandon the effort. The feature is useful one (in theory) but needs an investment of some sort of upgrade to be of practical use. I am unfamiliar with the technology being used to support the feature. I plan on comparing the accuracy and response time available through Bitdefender with the Android find my phone feature.

• Tracking worked fine for me on day one of registering the Mobile Security product (a few days ago). Since that time, its never worked properly. In all instances no new map location was displayed. Most of the time an hour or two would pass without the phone being located, but on the odd occasion I would get a notification (under the bell icon) saying it was found, but never nothing in the main window.
    Very odd indeed. Perhaps because the actual location had not changed at all? I dunno.