Bit Defender Blocking Microsoft Edge Chromium Synchronisation - Stuck at Setting Up Sync

Over the past few weeks, I have been battling to work out why Microsoft Edge was Stuck "Setting up Sync".

I restored Windows on a PC and re-set up Edge with my account but the Syncronisation was constantly stuck at "Setting up Sync". I literally tried everything to work out what the problem was. I tried using the edge://sync-internals/ page within Edge to debug the problem. Nothing was showing as an error, the connection was silently failing and returning 0 updates from the server. I tried:

• setting up another account on Windows PC
  • checking the sync services, ensuring the problem wasn't with windows internal sync.
  • DISM & SFC /scannow to try repair windows.
  • Adding the domain & IP address of update server to firewall exclusions.
  • Resetting Cloud Sync data.

Logging out of Edge on each machine and trying to resync on each, I noticed that the machines that had BitDefender as the AntiVirus software would not Sync, but machines with other Antivirus software would instantly sync. I disabled protection and Edge would then Sync. Bit Defender is silently blocking Edge from accessing Windows.com with no notifications making it almost impossible to diagnose.

If anybody else is having a massive problem with Edge Syncronisation, BitDefender is the issue. Turn the protection off when you want to Sync. I tried to add "Windows.com" to the exclusion list, but checking the DNS route "edge.activity.windows.com" diverts dynamically to multiple server URL endpoints (I think as load management). This seems to stop the exclusion from allowing the Edge Synchronisation.

The only option I've found is to disable BitDefender every now and then to allow Edge to Synchronise your favorites

Comments

• Thank you Sir. I was going on a holiday so I signed out of edge of my office PC. but after returning I was not able to sync again. My all passwords, favourites were inaccessible. I tried reinstalling edge. Restarting my PC multiple times. Start STOP SYNC multiple times. Waiting more than 24 Hours to get PC Edge SYNC itself. But everything failed. I was frustrated. Since I have only one PC I wasn't able to notice that it was the Bitdefender which was blocking the sync. It was not showing any notification so it was obvious that I didn't had a doubt on Bitdefender. After reading your post I disabled the protection on Bitdefender and then Stop Sync and Start Sync on edge. And it hardly took 10 seconds to get my old familiar browser back. Thank you Sir. Love you. Bitdefender should look into this issue. I cant imagine how many Bitdefender users would be suffering due to this unknowingly.

• Thank you Mitsie! I solved the same issue with inspiration from your experience.

Add edge.activity.windows.com in Bitdefender's exclusions then Edge will sync well.

Bitdefefender should fix this simple issue.

• Add edge.activity.windows.com in Bitdefender's exclusions

• Thank you Mitsie! I solved the same issue with inspiration from your experience.

Add edge.activity.windows.com in Bitdefender's exclusions then Edge will sync well.

Bitdefefender should fix this simple issue.

• having the same issue here. adding the "edge.activity.windows.com" seems not working always and the sync stops from time to time and still have to disable the Bitdefender protection to make it work again.