Full system scan caused hard crash

_lex
_lex
edited March 2022 in Enterprise Security
Hi there
Like the thread title says: I attempted to run a full system scan on my PC on 01/May/2021 using Bitdefender Internet Security. After running for a few minutes the scan "froze" and seemingly caused a hard crash on the system:

- The mouse cursor remained visible and mobile, but the Bitdefender interface would not respond to attempts to close it.
- The date-time display in the task bar stopped working (it showed 23:18 when the scan became stuck, and was still showing 23:18 ten minutes later).
- The computer would not respond to ctrl-alt-del, alt-tab, etc.
- All other elements of the Windows UI were unresponsive.
- The computer's fans were running at full speed, suggesting 100% CPU usage.
- After waiting for 20 minutes and observing no change in Bitdefender, a hard reset (holding the power button to force shut-down) was the only way to regain control of the PC.

Bitdefender was fully up-to-date and had run one previous system scan successfully. Windows 10 had been fully updated prior to the installation of Bitdefender. I was not running any other security software in parallel with Bitdefender.

Is this a known issue with current versions of Bitdefender Internet Security? I switched to Bitdefender after being badly let down by Avast's software and support, and it's very worrying that this has happened only two weeks into a two year licence.

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

There is currently no issue pertaining to bitdefender product. The scan may sometime use more resources if there are other background services running. Since bitdefender has to compete with the sharing of the resources with the other background processes, and if your system requirements are not met with minimal system requirements needed to run bitdefender product, it may end up in hanging of the system.

Kindly collect bitdefener logs (https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/8919/) & drop an email to bitdefener support at bitsy@bitdefender.com with your query. Also attach the logs with the same email.

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• > @_lex said:
    > Is this a known issue with current versions of Bitdefender Internet Security? I switched to Bitdefender after being badly let down by Avast's software and support, and it's very worrying that this has happened only two weeks into a two year licence.
    You should note that it is better to have a new cpu like core i3 8100 or i5 6100 or i3 6100or better for example or ryzen cpus.(I mean your cpus have at least 4 core and 3.2ghz for good working when using bitdefender).
    I mean that using old cpus like intel pentium (r) core duo 2.7 ghz or 3 ghz not recommend for bitdefender and for bitdefender it is necessary to run on ssd to don't slowdown your pc.
    I don't say you can't use it on hdd but it is very ideal to use it on ssd (because forexample its startup is take much time even on ssd and in normal using may lead to hanging or some slowdowns for your system if you use hdd).
    And for ram it is good to have at least 6 or 8 gigabyte or ram.
    and I should note that I don't have your problem when I select my hdd partitions to scan but I think bitdefender have some problems on scanning the hdd drives because it have make some bad sounds and high sounds of hdd that I think it is not happened on other antivirus product like kaspersky and eset.
    One of the way they can fix this problem is that they use smart scan method that forexample eset use that and it detect all of the virus if its database has them.(I mean this method works greatly and bitdefender can use that scan way.)
  • I also have this issue when running a system scan. At some point during the scan, various elements of Windows will freeze until eventually the entire system has locked up. This occurs regardless of the scan's priority. It even occurs when the system is totally idle, causing screensavers to freeze.

I have checked Event Viewer but it shows nothing other than the unexpected shutdown.

These are my system specs:

• Intel Core i5-9500 (6 cores/6 threads, 3.00GHz base/4.4GHz turbo)
    • 16GB DDR4 2666 RAM (dual-channel 2x8GB)
    • Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB
    • 512GB NVMe SSD boot drive
    • 2TB NVMe SSD
    • 480GB SATA II SSD
    • 1TB SATA III HDD
  • Since bitdefender has to compete with the sharing of the resources with the other background processes, and if your system requirements are not met with minimal system requirements needed to run bitdefender product, it may end up in hanging of the system.

• I have a BEAST of an HTPC with Win 10 64 Ent, 64GB RTX 2080 11GB Intel 10980XE with 18/36 cores - full system scan CRASHES with nothing else running - not acceptable - and bitdefender's manual 'gather logs' method is also not acceptable - when a crash occurs the customer should have the EASY button to click to send all the logs up to bitdefender - no manual steps needed - fix your product and your process

• I am another customer who is having a full system crash because of this. Overclocked gaming rig, so this should definitely not be happening! This needs to get sorted, 4th May seems like a long time for something like this to be ongoing.

• I am facing similar issue, basically Bit defender System Scan (Full Scan) does not work as of now.
    My system has SSD, 16 GB RAM & I5-10400 CPU
  • same here with bitdefenders full scan
  • Add me to the list. PC far exceeds minimum specifications. Hangs on scheduled full scan that occurs each day at 4am while I am sleeping. No other apps/activities running. No change noted when I set scan priority to Low, Auto, or High. Frustrating.
  • I also have a fullsystem scan crash. My Computer is a modern day build. I update regularly. I updated before doing a fullsystem scan. I have had this happen numerious times. I am leaning towards changing providers, if this issue is not resolved. My virus scanner should be the least finniky software on my system, let alone be the factor of my system crashes. I had no other software running this should have been a smooth operation. Please Bitdefender look in to this trend.
  • I have over 350 endpoints running BitDefender. Last week one started locking up when BitDefender did it's nightly scan. Scan starts at 9pm after business hours. At 6am the machine is unresponsive. Uninstall BD and everything works fine. Reinstalled, locks up when scan starts. Machine has been running BD for about 10 months. i7-7700, 32GB DDR4, 500GB SSD
  • I have ten BD Internet Security licenses for 3 years. This issue had better be taken seriously besides the usual dribble about system resources. some of us out here have a clue and know how to recognize something in the software behavior that wasn't there before. I am having to avoid full system scans in todays scamming/hacking environment because my antivirus software locks up Windows 10 and forces a hard reboot? Unacceptable. No other operation / software on computer locks up system (not a memory or hardware problem). Unfortunately, as of today , no recognition that someone at BD is taking this seriously? After researching this for some time I was pointed to Intel Management Engine and multiprocessor issues set up for Network Administrators and remote access WOL. after applying a Intel ME BIOS patch, issue resolved for 2 months. Then today after Bitdefender update and reboot, this issue has happened twice. If your trying to drive customers away come renewal time continue to do nothing to assist with this issue. I will be seriously reconsidering renewal at this time. Please help with this issue and do not remove the Widget as it helps senior users.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit 10.0.19043 build19043 not OEM

CPU: i7 9700K 8 core not overclocked

Memory: DDR4 64GB Corsair not overclocked

SSD: Samsung 980 Pro Nvme not compressed boot drive

Storage Disk: Western Digital HDD 2 TB

TPM: TPM 2.0 enable and secure boot

PS This issue stops scan clock and every time I have noticed a lock up, scan was on SysWOW 64 or Windows update files.

• I have the same issue, hard crash caused seconds after starting bitdefender full scan.

Managed to have a successful quick scan that showed no problems. I have Windows 7 32-bit

• Yep same issue. Powerful desktop but everytime i run a full scan it freezes my whole PC.

• Hi All, same issue here. Any solution so far?

Im in touch with BitDeff support but no luck yet.

We are using SSD M.2 disk, i tried to install same Windows image to SSD and all scans were without issue so I guess its related to SSD M.2.

Support still wants some logs but Im not able to generate it once computer freeze.

If there is someone with solution please let me know. Thx a lot.

• I have same issue, I have an Acer laptop aspire VX15 (has i7 cpu with 16 gigs of ram), the system freezes up after about always 20 min into the scan, I can still move the mouse curser but nothing responds when I click on it and even Ctrl Alt Del does nothing, only option is to do a hard reset (the scan does sometimes complete without issue but it freezes my system more times then it successfully scans).

I bought total security in June for 3 years but only have the issue a couple of days now, scanner worked without issues before so it's unlikely that it's an issue with my laptop; maybe a bug in the latest version of bitdefender?

Could you guys from bitdefender please let us know if you are aware of this and if there is a workaround until you fixed the issue?

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

@Mike_BD, @Andy_BD

Kindly have a look.

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• I have the same issue!!!

I've been using Bitdefender for past 5 years and never had any problems with the scan on any of our devices.

This problem only seem to arise recently. Please help

• I have the same issue. Been using for a few years, really like it but I need to be able to preform full scans without lockups.

WIN 10

Lenovo Ryzen 7 4000 series 8 cores

16gb RAM

1TB SSD

• Having the same issue I have a beast of a machine 9900k, 2080ti, 32Gb ram, 512Gb NVME drive (Main), 2Tb NVME storage, Windows 10 should not lock my system this issue is starting to make me think it might be time for me to look at other internet security if this issue is not fixed by November.😑

• Hello everyone,

As there are different hardware configurations for each, but only on Windows platform, kindly asking to contact our Support team (which I've informed of your specific notifications) https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

I would like also to please send me privately your tickets number so that I can follow up on them.

cheers,

Mike

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB

• Same issue here. Beast of a computer - dual Xeon Gold 6248R CPU @ 3 GHz and 1/4 TByte of memory. So, not a resource issue with nothing else running. Have tried to omit files, ensure no other resources are being used - but for the past 5 weeks on weekly full scan - barring one occasion after three crash restarts - the system locks up just as described by the original poster. Bitdefener Total Security full system scan was running fine for a year - but this past month, requiring a hard reboot of company server and no completed full scan is not sustainable. Hoping for resolution this week or will need to move to Kaspersky. Can't be hard crashing the company server every week.

• Hello @Felgryn ,

Kindly asking to reach for our Support team by visiting: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Seems to me there's need for further investigation with my colleagues, probably a remote intervention.

cheers,

Mike

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB

• Hi @Mike_BD , i offered to BD our PC for test. No one replied to it. Still in touch with BD support BBD-LTXJT-500, no solution. Im not sure if it is Windows related, I installed completelly blank windows and I had issue. In our environment BD is running fine with all "old" computers but new machines with SSD M.2 are freezing, does not matter if SSD M.2 is western digital or samsung. Mem test, cpu test, SSD test without issue. System is freezing just during full scan.

thank you

Adam

• Same story here. Start happening 11/11/2021 on me. After run full scan system froze after couple minutes.

• Same here. Beast laptop Intel i7-11800H 16 GB ram. I find this unacceptable for this kind of product.

• Just happened to me as well.

Windows 10 pro, i7 11700k, 64gb ram, Rtx 3060ti, 1tb nvme m.2

• I placed a comment on 18 October on this thread about this issue. I still have the issue and I noticed when the scan freezes my computer it's always when it's scanning a registry entry, I hope this might help you guys to fix this issue.

• Mike_BD
    Mike_BD admin
    edited November 2021

@Petersl thanks for sharing this info with us, which pinpoints (at least for your rig) to Bitdefender Total Security full system scan crash upon registry scanning.

One suggestion: might wanna try a Customer Scan, with registry on / off and see if that causes any difference.

Mike

• Same issue on my system, PC went freeze when full system scan. My build: Ryzen 7 5800H, RTX 3060, 16GB Ram, SSD, Win 10 Home, Bitdefender Internet Security. Both Bitdefender and Window are up to date. After turn off registry scan follow @Petersl it's work fine. This problem has only appeared recently.

• @Mike_BD

how do I turn registry scan off? I only have 2 different scan options, fast scan and system scan, when I go in the antivirus settings and try to edit the scanner options or make a custom scan I don't see an option to turn the registry scan off. I do see an option to "enkel toepassingen scanner" just scan applications in the custom scan, is this the setting to turn registry scan off?

• Hello @Petersl ,

1. Open Bitdefender Total Security dashboard
    2. Click PROTECTION and open ANTIVIRUS
    3. Create CUSTOM SCAN and only check what you desire
    4. After selecting which drives you want scanned, click NEXT
    5. Click "Show Advanced options"
    6. Uncheck "Scan registry"

cheers,

Mike

• AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX with Radeon Graphics      3.30 GHz 64gb RAM

SAME ISSUE. Full scan freezes my computer are you guys going to fix this issue or ignore it?

• Hello @farR ,

First try to isolate where the issue might be , doing Custom Scans from your Bitdefender Total Security / Antivirus . Also , kindly asking to reach our Support team by visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Stay safe,

Mike

• Or instead of doing tedious troubleshooting for this application I can just uninstall it and install one of the 50 other AV's available on the market. I don't have time to troubleshoot bitdefender nor is that my job this is a known issue for months and bitdefender has not addressed it.

• Hello @farR ,

Sorry to hear you've encoutered this with our AV. But there are many reasons this can happen , hence my request to contact the support team, which will try and help, based on the logs, most likely.

thanks,

Mihai

• Hello,

Are the rest of the endpoints running fine? Are they in similar configurations?

thanks,

Mike

• The problem does not occur with Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, eset, hitman pro etc all tested after I uninstalled Bitdefender . I'm not running any other real-time protection. All of this, plus the numerous other comments that have been posted here would leave me to believe that it's your application not my configuration

• Hi, I hace the same problem as everybody, but I already tried to custom scan, and it it the same, crashes, I tried to scan the windows ssd, and it crashes, it is frustrating, I thought I was buying the best antivirus. The specs of my laptop are far better than the minimum. Can an admin tell me if an update is coming any time soon? Thanks

• Add me to the list + I think the exclusion list is also not working anymore....
    I do really like Bitdefender but currently its not "the best" antivirus you can get I guess...
  • Same issue as everybody else. PC completely frozen some time into the full system scan.

GTX 1080Ti, i7 7700k, 36gb RAM.

Started happening many months ago but I scoffed it off "oh, they'll fix it soon"

Ran scan today, same problem persists and it is very frustrating considering the reason I buy an AV in the first place is to be able to detect threats and run full system scans....

• Same issue. Frustrated. Please fix the product soon !

• @Mike_BD

Update:

I did what you suggested, run the custom scan with registry disabled, I've been scanning every day for the last 2 weeks with registry scanner disabled and haven't gotten a single crash on my system yet with the scanner, so I guess that seemed to be the issue at least on my machine as I see other people on this forum still having the issues even with the custom scan.

I'll keep using the custom scan with registry disabled until you guys roll out a fix, I'll post an update on this threat if I encounter an issue.

• Same issue. Custom scan without registry fixed problem. Fix your product ASAP.

• Hello.

My system is brand new and this ‘Full System Scan causing unresponsive GUI, etc.’ issue is occurring for me as well. Wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

I am an IT Systems Engineer and I push this product to my clients. I need to have a workaround should this begin to affect them – luckily I seem to have only seen this occur on my own system.

It is worth mentioning that my computer is significantly more powerful than the average client workstation. It may ALSO be worth nothing that every comment on this forum seems to have a very strong CPU/GPU computer that is likely a gaming rig. I don’t know why this would make this issue more likely to occur, I am just trying to point out patterns.

I am currently running a Custom Scan without the registry scan option and I have also set it to ‘Low Priority’. I am not experiencing this issue during this scan. Quick Scans also seem to run fine. It seems likely the registry scan may in fact be related, but it seems some people have exceptions.

Update: One other thing I noticed was that BD seemed to always perform an Update attempt in the middle of performing a Full Scan. If there was an update available, it seemed to get stuck and the crash occurred. If I pre-emptively checked for updates and manually performed them until there were none available, even the small version changes that took mere seconds, then ran the scan with NO AVAILABLE UPDATES; it was skipped in the Full Scan and did not crash. This issue may in fact be entirely related to BD attempting to perform an pdate mid-Full-Scan.

My specs:

Intel i5-12600K

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4

G.Skill V Series DDR4 4x16GB@3200mhz

WD Black SN750 500GB m.2 SSD

Nvidia GTX 3080ti

• Hello.

My system is brand new and this ‘Full System Scan causing unresponsive GUI, etc.’ issue is occurring for me as well. Wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

I am an IT Systems Engineer and I push this product to my clients. I need to have a workaround should this begin to affect them – luckily I seem to have only seen this occur on my own system.

It is worth mentioning that my computer is significantly more powerful than the average client workstation. It may ALSO be worth nothing that every comment on this forum seems to have a very strong CPU/GPU computer that is likely a gaming rig. I don’t know why this would make this issue more likely to occur, I am just trying to point out patterns.

I am currently running a Custom Scan without the registry scan option and I have also set it to ‘Low Priority’. I am not experiencing this issue during this scan. Quick Scans also seem to run fine. It seems likely the registry scan may in fact be related, but it seems some people have exceptions.

Update: One other thing I noticed was that BD seemed to always perform an Update attempt in the middle of performing a Full Scan. If there was an update available, it seemed to get stuck and the crash occurred. If I pre-emptively checked for updates and manually performed them until there were none available, even the small version changes that took mere seconds, then ran the scan with NO AVAILABLE UPDATES; it was skipped in the Full Scan and did not crash. This issue may in fact be entirely related to BD attempting to perform an update mid-

My specs:

Intel i5-12600K

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4

G.Skill V Series DDR4 4x16GB@3200mhz

WD Black SN750 500GB m.2 SSD

Nvidia GTX 3080ti

• Hello Members,

We've just released an update to the core product, kindly asking to get to build 26.0.7.32.

Please let me know if underlined issues still occur.

Stay safe,

Mike

• Hello @Mike_BD

I am using Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools with Gravity Zone etc. It says my product version is: 7.4.2.130 and not the 26.0.7.32 you mentioned. I assume that other version is for BitDefender Free? Is there an updated version for myself and other professional users?

I have uninstalled and reinstalled since your last post but I still have this issue on full scans. If I can't resolve this issue then I will not be comfortable providing this to my clients. I can't risk having their AV crashing who-knows-how-many client PCs; I won't roll that dice.

It seems this issue is going back at least since May - that does not leave a great impression about response time about what seems to be a fairly significant issue. Please fix your issue or I will have to find another provider.

Is BD Tech even aware of what the issue is?

• Hi @Crimsonys ,

The update I mentioned is referring to the Consumer product, Bitdefender Total Security. I've checked and for BEST (windows platform) our latest release is 7.4.2.130, so you're up-to-date.

For the proffesional solution, we have limited support on this community, so I'm kindly asking to contact the support team for enterprise products, visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/business/customer-portal/enterprise-standard-support.html

I will push your comment to dev team, but would help a lot if you raise a ticket as well so I can follow up specifically.

Stay safe,

Mike

• @Mike_BD

Update:

The system scan froze my pc again today on a nvidia file, the sdd went to 100% in taskmanager even when the computer hdd led did not blink. I have the latest version of bitdefender 26.0.7.41 and have been scanning with the system scan instead of the custom scan since it updated to that version, it only froze today after I changed a nvidia power setting in the nvidia control panel, maybe it's coincidence that just after I changed the nvidia power setting it froze my pc when scanning an nvidia file or maybe it has something to do with that setting.

I changed that setting a few weeks ago from optimal power to optimal performance because I had an issue with nvidia which I tried to fix with this setting change, it didn't fix my nvidia issue and I just updated the driver. When I changed it back from optimal performance to optimal power the scanner froze. I've changed it back to optimal performance and I'll let you know if it will freeze with this setting.

Note that when I had the system scan freeze on me in the past my nvidia power setting was always set to optimal power, when I scanned with the custom scan with registry disabled it was also on this setting and I never had the custom scan freeze my pc.