Bitdefender prevents Time Machine back up with MacOS Monterey

Hi, I've just installed MacOS Monterey, whilst running Bitdefender Total Security. All seems fine, except the Time Machine back up has stopped working, and Bitdefender reports:

"An unauthorized app attempted to access your backups.

App: /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd.bundle/Contents/Resources/backupd

We blocked the app to prevent it from altering the content of your backups."

Is this a glitch I can fix, or does it require an adjustment to Bitdefender??

Many thanks, Richard

Comments

• Hello @Richard101 ,

Thanks for pointing this out. The issue has been resolved in the cloud, no product update is required, at most please run a manual update to make sure everything, including signatures, are up to date.

cheers,

Mike

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB

• I had the same problem. Did a google search and had to go into my library find a plist file for time machine , delete it and re enable the backup. it seems to be working now, ,but I have also turned off the Bitdefender protection of Timemachine. I really wonder why that is such a problem. OH and now bitdefender is continuously scanning that I went from big sur to monterey. Me thinks someone needs to figure out why things don't work as well and why I am getting fewer updates of new whatever to bitdefender. something isn't happy.
  • Hi @josephatoubes ,

We've just released a hotfix in the cloud, if everything is updated, then should work fine.

cheers,

Mike

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB

• Hello, I have the same problem and this one is not solved despite the updates!

Roland

• Hi @rchapl ,

If after the all the updates the behaviour is still the same, then please contact our Support team by visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/ 

cheers,

Mike

• I have the same issue and my build number is current (9.0.1.8). OS Monterrey 12.0.1

Jerry

• Same here, but I think I got around it by unchecking Don't scan content in backups in Preferences.

• I had a similar Monterey-Time Machine issue to the original post but with Bitdefender initial blocking a different system app.:

App:/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskImages2.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/diskimagescontroller.xpc/Contents/MacOS/diskimagescontroller

Before seeing the response from @Mike_BD I choose to allow the file in Anti-Ransomware. This didn't work. Ran database update as suggested by @Mike_BD but now getting the following notifications in Anti-Ransomeware:

App: /usr/libexec/diskimagesiod

Any thoughts?

• I too got bitten by the same thing. The worst was that Monterey was also grouping/hiding the notifications from Bitdefender, so I was left in the dark. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, blocking Time Machine happens even when you "Turn OFF Bitdefender Shield" from the menu bar --- I cannot verify now because finally I managed to start a backup! --- but I have already tried that because Monterey does show a notification mentioning that it is possible an antivirus blocked the backup process, so I thought of giving a shot with "Turn OFF Bitdefender Shield", but no go.

For anyone out there googling stuff that happens in the Console, you might see the following which should help you out finding this thread.

• The file “com.apple.TimeMachine.MachineID.bckup” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file.
    • The file “com.apple.TimeMachine.MachineID.plist” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file.
    • No such file or directory.
    • Failed to attach using DiskImages2 to url '/Volumes/.timemachine
    • Operation not permitted
    • Couldn't open 'Info.plist' with flags 0x102

Turning off "Time Machine Protection" under "Protection - Anti Ransomware" did the job. I still have "Don't scan content in backups" enabled as opposed to another user's post above.

Having this type of issue makes it hard to keep continuing to recommend Bitdefender to other MacOS users.

• Hello @andreineculau ,

We're preparing a release adressing:

- the cache of scanned files is not created on macOS 12

- miscellaneous Time Machine Protection, Safe files improvements

- miscellaneous macOS 12 compatibility improvements

Cheers,

Mike

• Hi,

I too have this problem - very annoying. When will the fix be released?

Mike

• Just upgraded to Monterey on MBP 2017 and also set up Time Machine to backup to Synology 1821+. Received the same error that everyone else has pointed out above regarding Bitdefender blocking ransomware and the backup process. After turning off Time Machine Protection I was able to restart the Time Machine backup from my MBP and it works fine. Bitdefender should provide a way to allow this protection while whitelisting the process/destination backup folder.

• Having the same issue and not able to back up to time machine. @Mike_BD please let us know when this is going to be resolved?

Regards,

Bruce

• Hello @Bruce_Dragon and @Tachyon ,

Thanks for signaling this to us - we are aware and working on it. Once I have an update from the dev team I will surely revert to the Community .

Stay safe,

Mike

• Same issue.

Monterey 12.0.1

Bitdefender Version 9.0.2.4

TimeMachine backup to Synology DiskStation

• Having same issue.

Monterey 12.0.1

• Having same issue.

Monterey 12.0.1

• We have the same issue in Big Sure 11.6.1, we are using the Bit defender Gravity zone End point security on all our windowsand macos computer. We have the problem with Time Machine not working only on Mac in Big Sure and Monterey.

• Monterey 12.1 Mac mini (M1, 2020)

Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac 9.0.2.4

Time Machine backup to Synology DiskStation (smb)

/usr/libexec/diskimagesiod

"Safe file" "Application Access" setting doesn't work, so I stopped TM protection.
  • Same issue

Monterey 12.0.1

Bitdefender 9.0.2.4

TimeMachine backup to Drobo 5C locally connected

• Mike_BD
    Mike_BD admin
    edited December 2021

Hello, Members,

Thanks to the community input found here, we have been working on a fix and soon will be releasing update 9.0.3.3. After the update, please let us know if issue is persistent.

Happy holidays,

Mike

• I've got 9.0.3.3 and it just started happening to me. I can no longer back up my computer. Come on. Fix this!

• Updated to 9.0.3.3, still have same Time Machine backing up issue.

• Getting the same issue on 23 December 2021 with Mac OS Monterey and a MacBook Pro 14" connecting to a Time Machine drive/folder on a Synology NAS.

I also noticed Bitdefender thinks my subscription/product has expired even though I still have coverage for another couple of years... confirmed on Bitdefender Central. Maybe a restart will fix it.

• brainbug02
    edited December 2021

Still have the same Time Machine backing up issue with 9.0.3.3 on my NAS.

• Still have the same problem with the updated version 9.0.3.3

Time Machine Backup Protection

An unauthorized app attempted to access your backups.

We blocked the app to prevent it from altering the content of your backups.

• Hi,

I had the same problems as everyone else including it saying that the product had expired (it hadn’t). A complete uninstall and reinstall fixed it for me.

Instructions Below from there own site.

Mike

——————

Restart your Mac in Safe Mode, using the steps below, then simply restart back in normal mode ( to free up all the cache ):

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/how-use-mac-safe-mode-3623521/

After this step, reinstall Bitdefender:

Uninstall first:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1784/

Should you encounter any errors, please try to uninstall using one of the methods below:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1446/

After uninstalling, please install Bitdefender using these steps:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/3478/

• After all steps done still have this issue on my NAS.

• Has this been Fixed yet? I still have Time Machine Protection disabled. AFAIK, I have everything up to date.

-Drew

• I have Catalina OS, I can't update further because of the age of my Mac Mini (late 2012).

I've spent many hours trying to figure out Time Machine not backing up, from late December onwards. I seem to have overcome the problem by switching off the the Bitdefender Anti-Ransomware Protection for Time Machine.

• When the fix is available, will it work with Catalina OS?

• @indiabravo the fix is available for Catalina OS as well.

If anyone is still encountering this issue, please let us know.

Cheers.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• What fix?

I seem to have got back-ups to Time Machine working again by uninstalling the software - "Toolkit" - that came with my LaCie back-up disc.

• Update 9.0.4.2 is available gradually. Please let us know is issues persist and we will continue to monitor.

cheers,

Mike

• Hi @Mike_BD

I attempted to back up to Time Machine today using a NAS, and Time Machine Protection prevented the attempt.

I turned Time Machine Protection off, and the backup was completed successfully.

Surely I should not have to turn off Time Machine Protection every time I wish to back up my computer? Or worse, turn it off permanently?

Thanks

• Time machine

synology backup

mac mini

Monterey

same issue

turned off time machine protection, worked

• Time Machine

MB Pro M1, 2020

Monterey 12.3.1

BD Antivirus for Mac Version 8.3.0.30

turned off Time Machine Protection, unchecked "Don't scan content in backups"

TM Backup will not complete

• Hello @fogscanner , @Jamreg and @josh_duck and welcome to our Community!

Noted your feedback, already passed on to the dev team.

Kindly asking to also contact our engineering team via Support page, right here: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Afaik, latest update on Bitdefender Total Security fixed this, but will keep an eye out for this.

stay safe,

Mike

• Monterey 12.5.1 and BitDefender 8.4.0.36 = TROUBLE.

Had no problems ever---but with Version 8.4.0.36--Time Machine is being blocked.

Kinda a big fish item (problem)

• Same issue as fergweb!

Time Machine blocked with Monterey 12.5.1 and BitDefender 8.4.0.36

Please fix asap!

• Didn't have this issue initially, but it has now popped up after yesterday's update. Unable to backup last two days.

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

@fergweb @JW @Scott S

Hello.

First, take screenshot(s) of the issue

and create a log file on your MacOS device using BDProfiler, by following these steps:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1863/

Next, contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by e-mail (select: How to's & Troubleshooting Bitdefender products -> Troubleshooting -> Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac, scroll down, click on "Contact Support" and click on "Send us an email!:):

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

with short description of the issue.

After that, you will get an automated reply by the Bitdefender Customer Care Team, with your ticket number.

Now, in reply to that automated reply, you can send the screenshot(s) you already took and the log file you already created in the first step.

Since you are all done, just wait for the support engineers to investigate your issue and find a solution to fix the issue.

Remember that the screenshot(s) and the log file will help a lot to the support engineers for better and faster investigation on your issue and finding a solution.

Regards.

• This issue is still present.

When will this issue be resolved. I've done what others have done, but this renders the product less valuable.

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi.

@Alexandru_BD and @Mike_BD (they both work for Bitdefender and both are this Community's admins) will be back at the office on Monday around 9 AM Bucharest time. Maybe then they will have some news on the issue and will share it with the Community.

Also, @camarie, working as a Principal Software Developer for Bitdefender, could take a look here and share some thoughts on the issue with you.

Kind regards.

• Count me in as another a with the same problem.

Thanks folks!

• Mac Guy
    Mac Guy
    edited August 2022

hello, same problem here... very annoying!

just started happening this morning

Version 8.4.0.36

(I'm not willing to disable protection for backups to "work around" the issue)

• Same Time machine problem !!

Bitdefender version: 8.4.0.36.

The problem seems to have started after macOS update to 12.5.1 !

• Hello everyone,

I have noticed that you are using Netgear Armor and at first glance, it seems that the issue has been reported only by Netgear users. The Support Teams have also received inquiries on this matter and the engineers are currently gathering more information. May I kindly ask you to get in touch with the Support Teams, because there is insufficient data at the moment and they need to collect the reports and escalate to the developers for a resolution.

You can get in touch with our engineers by choosing one of the contact methods available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you all for your patience and understanding.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• I have the same problem one of my two MacBook airs. Running Montery 12.5.1 and Bitdefender  8.4.0.36 on both machines. Also running Armor on both machine.

• Same issue since August 25th update.

Bitdefender 8.4.0.36

macOS Monterey Version 12.5.1 (21G83)