Another day, Bitdefender VPN installs itself - AGAIN

BDAlexS
BDAlexS ✭✭
edited January 2022 in VPN

After around 6 months of being Bitdefender VPN free (I do not want this app!) it has decided to install itself again on Windows 10 on all of my machines without my permission. A game of whack a mole, pretty ironic from an anti-virus product :(

So I'm uninstalling AGAIN - the message says Bitdefender VPN will be PERMANTLY removed.... place your bets...

Answers

• Alex_A
    Alex_A ✭✭✭

I bet on VPN this product, clumsy and slow as a snail, but as intrusive as a fly will still be present in your device

• The installing of software without the user's consent is a serious breach trust. It has gotten to the point that I am seriously weighting whether or not to keep using Bitdefender. It keeps on installing itself the day after I uninstalled it. The crazy part to all of this is, I have a lifetime license to VPN unlimited made by Bitdefender, why do I need a second VPN from the same company?

• I have the same problem on macOS. I use NordVPN and intend to stay with them. I talked to BitDefender Tech Support about an hour ago and the fellow told me Bitdefender Internet Security re-installs itself after every update, including when it's only updating its antivirus signatures. So, every update will automatically install the free copy of BitDefender VPN. I've been using the BitDefender Box 2 (a router and private firewall) to protect my IOT devices as well as smartphones, tablets and computers. The Internet Security package subscription is included with my annual renewal of the BitDefender Box 2 license.

A potential solution is to create a independent network with the BitDefender Box 2 and cascaded it to my primary router (normally the gateway from my ISP), put all my IOT devices on the independent network for its protection. I'll connect all my computers (phones, tablets, etc) to my primary router and use something else instead of Bitdefender Internet Security on my computers. I've verified with BitDefender Tech support that the Internet Security package for iOS devices could only help you locate a lost iOS device but DOES NOT offer any antivirus function, so I never used it on our iPhones and iPads.

I understand the Bitdefender Total Security package for Windows includes a superior antivirus package, so you Windows users has entirely different tradeoff considerations!
  • BDAlexS
    BDAlexS ✭✭
    edited April 2022

Every time there is a new version, BitDefender VPN pops up as if by magic and I have to uninstall it again. Yes it happened again a few months ago.

It's happened on Windows, my Android phone and on Mac.

My conclusion is they are doing this on purpose which is a pretty poor show for an antivirus company.

Also for years and years the Thunderbird toolbar add in for spam etc has never worked and yet they still claim this to be a feature. Also they install an add in for my browser which tracks my browing habbits by default for marketing purposes.

When my subscription expires I will be looking elsewhere, I've had enough of this. This isn't a free product, we pay for this.

• Hello @BDAlexS , @dvsdoug and @coffeesnob and welcome to our Community!

Your observations are legit and I will discuss with dev teams and make sure to follow up with you here once I get a clear picture.

cheers,

Mike

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB

• Same thing is happening on My Mac....serious breach of trust comes to mind....Please address this asap.

Thank you

• BitDefencder VPN DOES NOT interfere with my NordVPN (subscription) as long as I disabled BitDefender VPN from context menu of the icon displayed when started.

On Mac, its

Right click - Open Main Window. then,

in BitDefender VPN pop-up,:Settings (top right Gear icon) - General panel, turn off Notification, Run at Startup and Product Reports. Also ensure all switches in Advanced panel are turned off.

In addition, in my Mac Notification Preference, I disallow notifications for BitDefender VPN so I don't see the annoying messages when BitDefender does re-install itself.

After doing the above, although Bit Defender starts itself every time after BitDefender Antivirus gets updated, it only takes up 27.5 MB of memory and under 10 secs of CPU Time since it gets started. Unfortunate but small amount of system overhead!

• Hello,

For everyone encountering this issue, it will be necessary to get in touch with the Technical Teams for our engineers to gather more information from the machines. You can reach the engineers by choosing one of the contact methods available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• I have the same issue on MacOS Monterey 12.5. This is unacceptable!!! I removed the VPN component twice and it keeps re-installing itself.

• There is no "VPN installs itself topic under Technical Support.

• Hello,

The link redirects to the Support Center where, apart from the knowledge base articles and self-service area, you can also get in touch with the Support Teams for further investigation. The complete link is:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Using the contact form, simply select the category of your request and the product and the page will display 3 contact channels:

Choose the desired contact channel and let the engineers know what the issue is. Normally, the VPN should not reinstall itself, if already uninstalled.

Regards

• BD VPN installing of software without the user's consent is a serious breach trust. It keeps on installing itself the day after I uninstalled it. This is is unacceptable.

• They know what they are doing and are well aware. It installs every time there is a new major version, on every PC I've used it on, and installs by default on a fresh install. This is obviously normal behaviour and it's totally undesirable for us (but of course they want it on our machines obviously - $$$).

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited September 2022

It happens on every build/version update, where a restart is required? If that is so, I would be a little upset, too. (I have the Premium version).

On an uninstall and reinstall I could see where Bitdefender would want someone to know about that feature, considering itself as a new install. They may seek the additional revenue as they are a business, but knowing and seeing the basic features that come with the install (free version) is just them letting us try this as part of our internet security, for our good and protection. As you mentioned, it can always be uninstalled.

Regards,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• BDAlexS
    BDAlexS ✭✭
    edited September 2022

New installs should ask us if we want to install it or not, and if we say no, it should NEVER install after that. Also if we do install it and uninstall it, it should NEVER return.

That is what should happen and isn't.

I have my own VPN solution, much cheaper and better than bitdefender. Their free version is basically trialware.

Not everybody requires a third party VPN for safety, I certainly would not trust my data with any third party VPN (I have built my own).

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited September 2022

I like that idea, very much, of asking on an install if we want it, or just a notification during install about that feature.

You've been here a long time and when it first came out, I did some research of my own and went with Express VPN. But these days, I like the simplicity of everything being under one roof, and of one support center that won't point the finger that it's another vendor's fault. The only time I really use VPN is on a public Wi-Fi, so Bitdefender's version works great for me.

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• It's not really an idea, it's standard practice. I don't know any other software that behaves this way except for malware :)

• Hello @BDAlexS,

This is a known behavior of the VPN, but it's not intended to work that way. The VPN teams will deploy a fix with the next update, however, the new build may take some time to be implemented, because we are expecting other improvements and fixes that must be part of it and are yet to be tested.

The VPN should not have a mind of its own and if the preference to dismiss it was specified, the install process should not be carried out.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards