Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Question: Bitdefender Free banking promo shows up when firefox opens a new session.

BeFree
BeFree
edited March 2022 in Antivirus Free
Every time I start firefox and it opens the new page/Firefox homepage window the banking promo pop-up comes up. It's a bit annoying cause it happens every single time I open firefox. On chrome the promo operates normally, only opening on sites like Paypal and Bank of America.

So I'm wondering if it's a bug and if Bitdefender is considering fixing it because some other AV vendors have also falsely detected the Firefox homepage as a banking site and I'm thinking that's what BD free is doing here, and as a result, it's excessively triggering the promotional message.

Best Answers

• SethTP
    SethTP
    Answer ✓

I have disabled "Encrypted Web Scan" under "Protection - Online Threat Prevention Settings" as a temp fix now.

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓

Hello @BeFree,

I have just received news from the developers and they have confirmed the notification behavior and frequency is being adjusted with the latest release that has been deployed on thursday last week. In the upcoming days of this rollout, the update is expected to reach all machines.

I've seen the posts on Reddit myself and I regret the inconvenience caused to you.

Best regards.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

Answers

• Gauthey
    Gauthey ✭✭✭

thank you for using the free version free and return your concerns it really helps the service in improving it.

• Hello @BeFree and thank you for your feedback.

Normally, the recommendation should only be displayed when accessing banking websites. I was unable to reproduce the issue.

Kindly contact our Technical Support Teams for troubleshooting, as more details from the machine are required. You can get in touch with our engineers by choosing one of the contact methods available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Stay safe.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• BeFree
    BeFree
    edited March 2022

That seems to have gotten rid of the notification, it probably reduces security though.

I'm just going to switch vendors temporarily because the support agent I contacted just told me that the notification is there for "informative" purposes while completely ignoring the bug I mentioned, and it's not my first rodeo with reporting a bug to Bitdefender. Their support for free products has always been extremely subpar and I fully expect this bug to be fixed after like 8 months of forum complaints and 2 failed patches so until then I'm just switching vendors.

There's also like 6 different threads about this issue on r/Bitdefender on reddit and no response from Bitdefender support. I'm not the only one encountering this issue, and I'm not the only one who's switched vendors because of it.