Bitdefender and Malwarebytes

I uninstalled Malwarebytes before installing Bitdefender because I was prompted to do so during the Bitdefender installation. Now I would like to reinstall Malwarebytes if possible because I still have a 1 year subscription. First can this be done safely without damaging my Bitdefender installation and if so how should I modify the settings in both programs so they have minimal impact on each other. I would like to use malwarebytes to only run one time random scans and plan to turn off it's active protection features.

Answers

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited April 2022

Hi Frazzle :)

For years, this has been an ongoing desire on the old forum as well as here. So your desire to run both is not something new :) Some have gotten MB Premium to work alongside BD, and I know you have a license for it, but it is not "sanctioned" by BD and the Mods here. So if I'm going to help here, I will always side with them regarding this topic.

https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/comment/307894/#Comment_307894

Even if you turn some of the modules off, are there still running background processes that could be competing with, slowing down BD? Maybe, maybe not, but if you're going to turn off those competing, overlapping with BD modules, why not just use the Free version and once in a while run a manual on-demand scan? But again, reading the above post by Alexandru is informative and to be considered :)

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

@Frazzle

I have run Bitdefender Total Security (BDTS) and Malwarebytes Premium(MBP) together for many years, as have my computer clients. I have never noticed any degradation in the performance of the computers, provided everything is properly configured in both BDTS and MBP.

You must install BDTS first. When you installed MBP, go to Settings, Security, and turn off "Always register in the Windows Security Center.

Malwarebytes Forums have < information > about the files and folders that need to be excluded within your anti-virus program (BDTS).

Within MBP, list the two Bitdefender "Program" folders and the Program Data folder.

Malwarebytes is not a full anti-virus solution, marketing aside. See < this link > and < this link > for more information. You may also be interested in < this Bleeping Computer topic Good computer security includes a layered approach, a good backup strategy, and plain old common sense.

Good luck and have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

In addition to what @garioch7 quoted above, I would also request you to have a look at the below stated link as issued by malwarebytes itself.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051090194-Issues-running-other-security-applications-and-Malwarebytes-for-Windows

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• You must install BDTS first. When you installed MBP, go to Settings, Security, and turn off "Always register in the Windows Security Center.

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

@Frazzle

Ever since Malwarebytes Premium has had a Web Protection component, I have had it activated. I have never encountered any issues with it interfering with the BDTS installed on my computers and appropriately configured.

Of course, should that occur, you could try disabling it as Flexx has suggested.

I aim for maximum computer security. I have witnessed too many, lose too much, too very quickly! Too often, they have no backup strategy. The importance of that can not be understated. Malware sometimes infects computers even with the best of security software.

The interface between the chair and the keyboard is the prime culprit. 😒 Hardware failures do occur. So having recent backups stored on an external drive only connected for creating system images is of paramount importance, as well as having an emergency boot USB drive for the backup software that you use. I recommend Macrium Reflect or Easeus Todo Backup. Both companies have free and paid versions.

I hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• Scott
    edited April 2022

@garioch7 This is the part (below) I especially agree with, as I was considering this morning looking for a thread on best practices as far as the internet, browsing protection, what we click on, social media sites, where we get and download files from etc.

The interface between the chair and the keyboard is the prime culprit. 😒 Hardware failures do occur. So having recent backups stored on an external drive only connected for creating system images is of paramount importance, as well as having an emergency boot USB drive for the backup software that you use. I recommend Macrium Reflect or Easeus Todo Backup. Both companies have free and paid versions.

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

To add here, while we know that we should use limited number of extension, but if one has a better PC configuration, then they can activate all the below stated extension on their browser for additional security purposes.

Ad Blocker :

• AdGuard AdBlocker
    • uBlock Origin
    • AdBlocker Ultimate
    • UltraBlock

Anti Tracker :

• Bitdefender Anti Tracker
    • Ghostery
    • Privacy Badger
    • Crumbs
    • Disconnect

Additional Extension :

• HTTPS Everywhere
    • Click&Clean

While my PC can handle all the processing stuff hence I use all these extension on both microsoft edge and google chrome browser without any lag in speed.

In fact, all the filters are activated in the Ad Blockers, though they have option to automatically activate the required filter.

So, I am almost ready for any website that I surf and also knowing that I am protected by Bitdefender too at the same time.

Regards

Flex

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Scott

@mrmirakhur Nice job with the helpful and informative post. Thank you :)