Bitdefender Password Manager ???

Stu
Stu
edited January 2022 in Password Manager
Bitdefender Password Manager, so is this the end of the Bitdefender Wallet. Or put another way is this a way of charging us for something that comes with Total Security.

Answers

• Hello @Stu ,

I'm glad you've noticed it , you're one of the first community members to do so. You may choose to use either one. Bitdefender Password Manager is a response to our customer needs and a multi-platform solution which encompasses many useful features (some of them requested specifically on this very community).

Happy holidays,

Mike

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB

• Interested in this solution, but I seriously doubt I will touch it until it's compatible with Yubikey for 2FA.

• I don get it... really! That's the description of Bitdefender Total Security - it says very clearly it includes Password Manager:

And now I have to pay for it again because you finally fixed it in order to work on Android?!

• Will a basic password manager come to Total Security on Android in an update? Otherwise, I'm with you Nasso. I pay for Total Security to get the full package: it's supposed to work across platforms and include the Password Manager. So now I'm supposed to pay for Password Manager to use on Android when I already paid for it in Total Security? I don't think so. Bitdefender has tried to sell me the VPN before even though I get it in Total Security. So maybe the offer for password manager is similar and I'll soon find I get it in Total Security.

• Password Manager is clearly listed as an included feature in the "Total Security" package as the screenshot above illustrates. When will "Total Security" subscribers receive the Password Manager as indicated in your advertising on your own website?

• Hello everyone,

Thank you for your patience and for sharing your thoughs on this subject.

Clearly, there has been a misunderstanding and I will provide you with a well deserved explanation.

Listing the Password Manager in the Privacy section on the website led to this confusion, because what should actually be specified there is the existing Wallet.

Bitdefender Wallet and Bitdefender Password Manager are not the same product. The main difference is the multiplatform password synchronization. Password Manager is a standalone software compatible with Windows, Android, macOS, and iOS, while the Wallet is a password manager module with basic functionality that comes with the paid security solutions Bitdefender Antivirus Plus, Bitdefender Internet Security, Bitdefender Total Security. The Wallet is available only on Windows and does not work on Mac, Android, or iOS devices.

Wallet integrates with the following Windows browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Bitdefender Safepay. Unlike Password Manager, the Wallet does not offer master password recovery options: if you forget your Master Password you lose all your passwords. Wallet functions are limited to autosave & autofill, auto-lock, and a password generator. You can import data from other password management applications only in .db and .csv format.

On the other hand, the Password Manager works with Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and Safari across Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. If you forget your master password, you can always reset it and regain access to your data. It has a plethora of bonus features that increase your privacy: autosave & autofill, password generator, password quality check, search & delete password duplicates, (un)hide passwords as you type them, security reports, password leak alert, secure notes, remote logout, biometric unlock on mobile devices. You can import data from other password management applications in multiple formats: csv, json, xml, txt, 1pif, fsk.

The new Bitdefender Password Manager service is currently available for purchase exclusively through the Bitdefender Central account. More updates will come for this product next year, including a full launch on the official Bitdefender website www.bitdefender.com, all in the first quarter of 2022.

Regarding its inclusion in the Home User products portfolio, there are several options on the table and the developers are also considering to implement many special features for the Premium account. The product is still in its early stages and its final form will soon be revealed.

The developers and product managers are aware of the teminology concern and the product pages will soon be updated to reflect a more accurate description, with the scope to provide more clarity and underline the difference between the two. The specifications should indicate in a clear and understandable way what is included in the package and what are the available add-ons.

These are the latest developments available and I hope they shed some light on the controversy.

Best wishes.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Trevarrick
    edited March 2022

I suspect that I and quite a few others may not have chosen Bitdefender Total Protection had we not had the extra push of a apparently fully-fledged cross-platform password manager included in the subscription. It is difficult to avoid the conclusion that this was either a badly misjudged marketing ploy or simple incompetence. Either way, the promotion for Bitdefender Total Protection has clearly succeeded in misleading many of its customers, including me, and they surely have a duty to make good their promise and repair their reputation. There are few things more infuriating than untruthful marketing claims, intended or otherwise.

• Hello @Trevarrick and thank you for joining us here.

Total Security is Bitdefender's bestseller, especially because it provides complete protection for the main operating systems and benefits from the highest scores in tests conducted by independent reviewers, specialty magazines and customers. Having a password manager included is, of course, a bonus. The confusion arose from the fact that Total Security already incoporated the Wallet for passwords and when the new Password Manager arrived, the terminology displayed both in the product's description and in the interface was not adjusted in due time. This has since been corrected to display the included Wallet and differentiate the two services clearly.

As the developers received consistent and valuable feedback for the Password Manager following its initial launch, they have included it in the Premium Security package. More information regarding the latest development is available here:

I regret the inconvenience caused by the initial advertisement and I can assure you the teams involved are doing their very best to avoid such confusion in the future.

Enjoy your Bitdefender product and stay safe!

• > @Trevarrick said:
    > I suspect that I and quite a few others may not have chosen Bitdefender Total Protection had we not had the extra push of a apparently fully-fledged cross-platform password manager included in the subscription. It is difficult to avoid the conclusion that this was either a badly misjudged marketing ploy or simple incompetence. Either way, the promotion for Bitdefender Total Protection has clearly succeeded in misleading many of its customers, including me, and they surely have a duty to make good their promise and repair their reputation. There are few things more infuriating than untruthful marketing claims, intended or otherwise.

It was literally the motivation behind my recent renewal last night.
  • Yep. Won't renew unless this is corrected. You're providing a good service, and users kind of expect you to use those funds to keep on imrpoving those services, so we keep wanting them, and keep renewing.

It's a nice thing when it works, it's not so nice when one party breaks the unofficial contract.

Total security was supposed to be the whole shebang. Feel free to offer bits and pieces for those who don't need "everything". Stop trying to sell your bread and butter what you're already supposed to be giving them for the premium price.

If need be, increase the premium price to include the new stuff being developed, that's probably a sign you're not charging enough. Either way this latest foray into increasing some bottom line isn't doing your company any favors in regards to consumer goodwill.

Cheers

• Alexandru - Your website is still misleading buyers - including me - since error this "inconvenience" as you describe it has NOT in fact been corrected as you state in your post. See below on 03/04/22 when I purchased this including the password manager which you now describe as 'a mistake'.

Your offer was based on including a feature - the password manager

I accepted your offer and paid the price requested

You have failed to provide the password manager as per your contracted obligations

You are therefore in breach of contract.

Kindly remedy this breach

Likewise your mistake is repeated via Amazon to whom I shall be emailing should you not remedy this breach forthwith

regards

• Hello @JoeF and welcome to the Community!

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. The product description on our official website has been already updated to reflect the Wallet:

However, in the comparison section as you have indicated, it seems that Password Manager is still being displayed as included (these locations are separate on the web page) and I have asked our web developers to correct this asap.

I have also contacted the Bitdefender Amazon store managers and requested for the product description to be updated.

Going forward, I have sent you a private message to address the Password Manager request.

I appreciate your contribution and understanding.

Best regards.

• Alexandru,

thanks for your prompt update, and separate response.

regards

Joe

• No worries @JoeF

We always find a way here. I am the one that needs to thank you for bringing the matter to our attention, as this helped us coordinate with both the web developers and the Amazon teams to get this sorted as soon as possible and avoid any confusion in the future.

All the best.

• I like many others was taken in by this blatantly false advertising.

Saying you have made an error on the website is just absolute rubbish.

Own your mistake.

At the very least you could offer an upgrade an existing total security to premium even if it increases the subscription for subsequent years. It only has to apply to those of us who purchased new subscriptions from the time YOU made the "mistake" (the money grab).

It will cost you a little in the first year but you will easily pick it up in subsequent years.

At the moment your reputation is tarnished. I like the product but if/when a newer product comes out or there is a viable alternative I for one will be moving.

Security software relies on the integrity of the company and its dealings with its customers. It is all about reputation and provability of information.

You may have suckered me once but at least I will learn from my mistake.

If you play fast and loose with the truth, one has to wonder what else you made "mistakes" with?

At some future date, if you were to find part of Bitdefender that doesn't do what it says and compromises security of the system as a whole will that also "mistake" so you don't have to fix it?

You should employ Mark Zuckerberg, he has told congress on at least 5 occasions " we must try to do better" but he never does.

• Hi @BernieK,

This was not a case of false advertising, as we don't do such things here.

The confusion arose from the terminology used, because the Wallet was called Password Manager in the past and technically, this is correct. The Wallet was always displayed as a password manager in the product's interface and still is, as shown in the screenshot below:

The wording is in the process of being updated, as this is NOT the new Password Manager. As the Wallet was always displayed like this, naturally the terminology was also present on the product page in the description of the modules included. The terminology conflict began only after the new Password Manager was launched as a standalone extension, because they were both called the same. As you can imagine, there were multiple places where this information had to be updated, including the product page, product interface, support articles, marketplaces such as Amazon and just recently, I have personally discovered that the user guides need to be updated as well! Below I have included a screenshot displaying the relation between the Wallet and Safepay, but this must also be corrected, because it displays Password Manager instead of Wallet:

Furthermore, we are limited in the updates we can provide on Amazon and Amazon can pick and choose which updates (if any) they will incorporate on our detail/product pages. Our ecommerce teams have scheduled a meeting with Amazon about this next week, to update all product descriptions in our store @JoeF.

As a valued provider, we strive to provide our customers an un-parallel level of accuracy and transparency.

We think that a successful business has a lot to do with good communication and I agree we could have done a better job when advertising the changes that took place.

Nevertheless, the good news is we have already identified some of these improvement areas with the help of the Community members and our product managers are working together with our web developers and other teams involved in this process to update and correct all areas of interest, in order to avoid any further confusion and frustration.

Out of the contrary, I can tell you that our reputation is very strong and for the past decade, Bitdefender has undoubtedly been one of the best security solution providers in the world – we’re not just beating our own drum and we often let independent reviewers, specialty magazines and customers advocate for that.

@BernieK, kindly send me a private message so we can discuss options concerning the Password Manager license.

Best regards and thank you for choosing Bitdefender.

• I have followed up with a discussion with @Alexandru_BD I am more than happy with the way Bitdefender has explained their position.

It is so refreshing to have support that is really interested in support for their users.

In fact I am impressed with the amount of effort @Alexandru_BD put into answering and explaining what went wrong in my case.

I am likely now to be a long time user.

• I thought I'd better leave some commnets on what was my original post. I only asked a question about charging for Password Manager which is actually now to just be a naming convention. There is Password Wallet free with Total Security and then there is Password Manager, which is a standalone advanced product which is chargeable. Password Manager also comes with Premium Security and I presume in that you get a manager for each user. I have asked this question, but not had and answer (yet).

I am trying Password Manager on another PC and it does look really good. Got an issue with where the Feedback button goes, but only just put a ticket in about that so lets give them time to look at it.

One thing I would really like and it's to do with this community. Can you enable the spellcheck in this box, I can't spell to save my life 😊.

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited April 2022

Hi @Stu

Thank you for keeping up with your thread and posting back with your follow-up comments; we appreciate it.

Here is the word I received from Chat support on my asking if the Password Manager that comes with Premium Security was just good for the device it is installed on:

"The Password Manager can be set up for only 1 profile, but the information will be shared between the devices."

If you want to follow up with Chat support, it may help with your specific questions or situation. Maybe someone else will post a more definitive answer for you if the above didn't answer your question.

As far as spellcheck, I'm right there with you on that one :) They may not be the best, but Grammarly does have a free spellcheck version that can be helpful on forums etc.

Have a great weekend :)

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Okay, so let me see if what I'm reading is exactly what you saying, Premium Security comes with 10 devices, but the Password Manager is common to All 10 devices. So my wife would see all my passwords and I'd see all her's. I must be missing something if that's the case. In who's world does that seem right.

• Scott
    edited April 2022

Like I say, I even had to talk to Chat to find out the little I posted, so no, I do not know how it gets set up and works. Maybe @Alexandru_BD can help us both out? I'm just a lowly solo AV+ and Total Security user :)

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Thanks Scott, yep sorry shouldn't have aimed the question at you. As you say maybe @Alexandru_BD can answer the question. If it's one profile in the Password Manager across all 10 devices. That won't work.

• Scott
    edited April 2022

I agree; it didn't make sense to me either as far as seemingly one profile across 10 devices. And no problem Stu, as there are so many things and options going on with BD and its products, that it can be hard to keep track and keep up with it all :)

• Just been looking at what standalone Password Managers are available and think BD need to take a serious look at what they are offering as there is some amazing offers out there and the prices are good as well. I originally only went with BD because Total Security came with the Password Wallet, well it now comes with a wallet that works some of the time and it sound like the Password Manager is more like a Password Cupboard, once your in the house anyone can get in the cupboard.😊

• Hello,

Sorry guys, I know I'm a bit late here.

If you wish to use the Password Manager on multiple machines, then the account/vault must be shared, yes.

But if not, the passwords cannot be unlocked without the master password of the account holder, so even if the extension is present on multiple devices, it cannot be accessed by other users.

The multiple user accounts implementation is in the pipeline for the future releases, however.

Best regards.

• Hi @Alexandru_BD

As I've just replied to one of your colleagues in a similar vain, who in their right mind thought a single password manager across 10 Devices was a good idea. Do all your developers live alone? I want members of my family to be able to log onto their Amazon accounts, but not onto mine. You say multi user will be in a future release, but we all know how quick BD are (not), so that not realy an option. It wouldn't be so bad if the Password Wallet wasn't as flakey as it is now. It went down hill, just as the Password Manager was released (funny that ???). It opens the login screen and then that screen locks up, then come bak telling you your password is wrong, when its not wrong. Also if you use Chrome, the wallet just greys out and the only way to get it back is to turn off and on the extension. As I say this all started when the Password Manager came out. I would have upgraded, but you don't have a product to upgrade to.

Stuart

• Hello @Stu,

I have absolutely no arguments here. As I'm a liaison between the members of this Community that I cherish and the development teams, I always do my best to follow-up and speed up the resolution of the existing issues for which multiple requests have been made on this forum.

The newborn Password Manager is dependent on multiple teams and so far we've managed to bring everyone to the table and start improving. We are waiting for the green light on some features and our teams are also involved in a complex product upgrade. I can't disclose more about this, but what I can say is that we are engaged in multiple projects and everyone is focused and determined to get the job done in a timely manner.

Thank you for your patience, feedback and participation in this discussion.

Cheers.

• Scott
    edited April 2022

....."members of this Community that I cherish"..... right back at you too friend, as well as Mike and the other wonderful "liaison" Mods here on this forum.

• Hello @Stu. In addition to what Alexandru said, your feedback and honest opinions are most valuable. It is our duty to always fight for these to be heard within our company and we are constantly striving to improve our products to better fit your needs.

Specifically on Password Manager, good things are on the horizon - we'll make sure to keep everyone updated once we have the good news.

cheers,

Mike

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB

• Hi Mike

The things that worry me at the moment is, what is it going to cost and how do I get more than 10 devices. There’s some good value managers out there. Also, it is probably pure coincidence, but it does feel like a bit of a sales push. Password Wallet started playing up at the same time as Password Manager came on the scene. The Login popup locks up and if you use the wallet in Chrome your lucky if it stays available for more than 5 minutes.

Stu

• Hello @Stu,

The Wallet was availble long before the Password Manager came on the scene. The latter represents a standalone upgrade and was developed on a different architecture. Because the application is part of a secure ecosystem, it's available on the most used platforms, Windows, macOS, Android or iOS. The new Password Manager is equipped with the highest standard of cryptographic algorithms - AES-256-CCM, SHA512, BCRYPT, HTTPS and WSS protocols for data transmission. Moreover, all data is encrypted and decrypted locally, and only the account holder has access to the Master Password.

There are no foreseable changes in terms of pricing. The multiple accounts feature is work in progress and will become available along with other updates such as the "remember me" feature, that will not require the login each time you open the browser and the Safari compatibility as well.

Stay safe.