A couple of questions about my first threat found

"Threat successfully quarantined

Today at 1:47 PM

Feature: Antivirus

An infected file attempted to run on your device.

Threat name: PDF.Spam.Heur.3

Path: /Users/myname/Library/Caches/Google/Chrome/Default/Cache/Cache Data/

11e094729845ee22_0

We quarantined the file to prevent malicious commands from being executed on your device."

1. I know it cannot cause damage while quarantined, but I would rather it not be on my computer at all. If I clear my Google Chrome cache, then will the file be able to infect my computer? Or if it stays in quarantine will it just be there indefinitely?
  2. Could the file have done damage before the antivirus scanner caught it?
  3. Am I okay to turn my computer off and on?

Best Answer

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓

Here is the thing, as per detection, the file seems to be heuristic detection/ machine learning based and not a signature based dete tion. Additionally it seems to be a PDF file of phishing or spam type.

Since bitdefender has quarantined the file you are currently safe. The thing you need to understand here is that whenever any antivirus quranties a file it changes its extension before that which makes the execution of the file to be useless thus the qurantine file will remain on your system but it will be harmless.n

In brief, if there is a malicious file like malware.exe, and when antimalware software qurantines it, they change the extension of file to some random, in this case it can be malware.fphs or malware.kjul, that depends on vendor to vendor, which makes the execution of file impossible thus it cannot harm the system. Now when you restore the file from qurantine, the antimalware software changes the extension of the file to its orignal.

All in all, you are currently safe since bitdefender has dealt with the threat and your threat is also a pdf based file which seems mostly a phishing or spam and not an executable malware file.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

Answers

• Hello @Ihateviruses and welcome to the Community!

Based on your description of the situation encountered, I would recommend contacting the Technical Support Teams, as more information might be required to troubleshoot this. The engineers may request some logs from you.

You can get in touch with our engineers by choosing one of the contact methods available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Stay safe.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Hello. My pc was hacked so I bought a Mac and immediately installed BD Total Security. It's been over two months since I installed BD and there hasn't been ONE single threat found. I know PC's are more vulnerable but is this lack of threats normal on a Mac? Or is there something else going on?

Also, Dropbox is uploading what I suspect to be suspicious files with misspellings (?):

photosgraph.kgdb / photosgraph-tmp.kgdb-wal / construction-photosgraph.kgdb (also the same file named with .kgdb-shm extension) / PGCurationCache.sqlite.sqlite (double sqlite) / etc.

When I Googled the extensions there were no matches, which scares me. Please tell me I'm being paranoid and this is all normal. Thanks for any answers you can provide!