Does Bitdefender auto scan images attached to text message

Clarice
Clarice
edited May 2022 in Mobile Security

My daughter picked up my phone and opened a newly arrived text message which only contained an image. I saw her do it and immediately deleted because I did not recognize the number it came from. If it was malicious, would Bitdefender have auto scanned it and warned me, or is it possible that some spyware/malware could have been loaded onto my android phone from this action? Thank you.

Answers

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Bitdefender for android will scan all the android application installed on your smartphone. Also, if there are any .apk setup file available on your device, that will also get scanned by bitdefender.

Additionally, if the message that you recieve contains a malicious or phishing link, bitdefender will block that and notify you.

Bitdefender for iOS will only scan for malicious or phishing link.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Hi,

SMS phishing messages are a lot more prevalent these days and malicious links spread in numerous other ways.

As mrmirakhur wrote above, Bitdefender will block that and notify you.

The Scam Alert feature in Bitdefender's Mobile Security for Android takes preventive measures to the forefront, dealing with potentially dangerous situations before they even have a chance to become a problem, including malware threats. It alerts the user regarding malicious links arriving via SMS, messaging apps and any type of notification.

You can find more information regarding the Scam Alert feature in the article below:

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Thank you. I am sorry to appear obtuse, but I am not sure my question was directly answered which related to whether BD scans and protects against harmful action embedded in an IMAGE attached to a text message that is inadvertently opened. I do understand it protects against LINKS. But my understanding is that images can also cause harm. Perhaps I am wrong?

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

@Clarice

Hello.

Let's take these 2 situations for an example:

In the first situation (marked as SMS) i received a text message with a link in the message. In this case, the Scam Alert module in Bitdefender Mobile Security will scan the link in the message and will notify you if the link is dangerous. Just a note that the link in the message is the same link from where the image "Happy New Year" was downloaded for the second case.

In the second situation (marked as MMS) i received an image attached to a text message, which was downloaded from the link in the first case. In this case, the Scam Alert module in Bitdefender Mobile Security will NOT scan the image in the message and will NOT notify you if the image is dangerous.

In other words, the Scam Alert module will only scan links in the text messages, but not images or any other attached files in the text messages.

Even if you save the image in the internal memory of your mobile device, again it will not scan it, because like @mrmirakhur already said: "Bitdefender for android will scan all the android application installed on your smartphone. Also, if there are any .apk setup file available on your device, that will also get scanned by bitdefender. Bitdefender for iOS will only scan for malicious or phishing link.".

You can only check the image file if it is dangerous or not, only by saving the file in your pc/laptop and scan it with one of the others Bitdefender for Home products.

Regards.