How to add Windows 10 Mobile Hotspot to the firewall exception rule?

Basically, I am trying to use the Windows 10 mobile hotspot and I realized after testing it that it doesn't work when the Bitdefender firewall is turned on. So I was wondering how you could add the mobile hotspot to the exception rule since it is not as easy as just adding a program

Answers

• Hello @udbasil and welcome to the Community!

Try to add the newly created network (when activating the hotspot) as a home/office network and disable stealth mode. If this does not fix the issue, set default application behavior to "allow".

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• The thing is that there is no newly created network shown on windows itself. Obviously, you see the one that the other devices would connect but windows does not show any new network under Network and Sharing Center. So there is no place to change the exception

• Hi,

Based on your description of the situation encountered, I would recommend contacting the Technical Support Teams, as more information might be required to troubleshoot this. You can get in touch with our engineers by choosing one of the contact methods available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• DSperber
    DSperber ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

This topic was discussed (and solved) in my own thread about the very same subject:

https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/89179/bd-2020-blocks-windows-10-mobile-hotspot-in-two-different-ways

The solution for me was TWO firewall rules that needed to be created:

(1) This first rule allowed access to the DHCP gateway server 192.168.137.1 which is part of Windows 10 Mobile Hotspot functionality:

All apps, all networks, any protocol, both directions, and Advanced -> Custom Local Address ENABLED: IP 192.168.137.1

(2) This second rule opens the two ports used by Mobile Hotspot client and server, and is required in addition to the first rule I'd already created which is:

All apps, all networks, any protocol, both directions, and Advanced -> Custom Remote Address ENABLED: ports 67,68.

• Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Sol-Em-N
    edited February 2023

Hi, @DSperber saw your post at https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/89179/bd-2020-blocks-windows-10-mobile-hotspot-in-two-different-ways

I did the two methods but still experiencing firewall turning off my mobile hotspot every time "Firewall status changed" is showing in Notifications:

Do you still experience this? Been trying to find ways for three days now.

• What kind of machine do you have? Brand/model, name of network adapter, etc.? What is your internet provider service? PC connected to router/modem with ethernet cable? Direct connection to the master router or indirectly through switches, wifi or other access points?

I continue to have no problem with Win10 Mobile Hotspot getting enabled and remaining active indefinitely, ever since learning how to create those two BitDefender rules back in 2022. I never have any "firewall status changed".

What else do you have present in your home network? What other stuff do you run on your PC that is network-related in some significant or important way, either hardware or software? Do you use VPN?