Safari extension and the option to remember the Vault password have been deployed

Alexandru_BD
Alexandru_BD admin
edited June 2022 in Password Manager

The new Password Manager release brings the Safari extension and the long awaited and frequently requested "Remember me" feature:

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

Comments

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

After reading this post and the long waited Safari extension and "Remember me" option, some of the Community members are like:

😊

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod

Fantastic news 😊 Now I can ditch the other password manager I was using 😊

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• I sure hope so 😂😂😂

For the record, a lot of effort was put into this new build and I wish to thank the product manager for making this happen.

Once again, we received so much valuable insight from the members of our community for which I am extremely grateful. Even though the Safari extension should have been there in the first place, we encountered difficulties along the way and the developers had to start from scratch at some point. But their sweat paid off eventually and we finally got the extension deployed.

But perhaps the biggest achievement here is the "Remember me" feature, as the continuous login process was posing a huge inconvenience for our users and this was a major concern among the teams.

• Scott
    edited June 2022

I confirm on my end (thank you, Alexandru ;) ) that both functions are working in Chrome. Disable login tab on start up (second tab opening), and Remember me.

There is a bit of a delay, but no worries, when you open your browser i.e. for a second, third time, again in my case Chrome, for PM to sync to the servers and for the icon to show, become, connected compared to it showing, Login. PM v1.1.4

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• I'm no longer able to log in to the extension via Chrome (was working about 11 hours ago, so possibly related to this update?). It's hanging on the login screen with no action happening after clicking on "sign in" (it greys out a bit after clicking it, but otherwise nothing happening).

Have followed troubleshooting steps, including disabling/removing the extension, clearing the cache, and of course a reboot. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Chrome Version 102.0.5005.115 (Official Build) (64-bit)

• Scott
    edited June 2022

I am not here to try to prove anyone wrong, as another member posted this issue of not being able to log in as is happening with jaff.

But on my Windows 11 Pro 64bit PC that just did a Windows Cumulative update that required a restart, and my Windows 10 Pro 64bit PC, both with Chrome version 102.0.5005.115 (Official Build) (64-bit) no problem logging in. Just a slight 2 second pause (once logged in), as I'm assuming PM is connecting to the servers. I've logged out of PM, restarted the PC, and Chrome a couple of times, I even have VPN connected to Automatic, just to to rule that out as possibly being a factor?

Maybe it's a misc Chrome extension causing an issue, or just a temporary BD server glitch?

• Hello @jaff and welcome to the Community!

I have to say, you have followed the troubleshooting steps impeccably 😃

I have checked with the Support Teams to see if any similar reports were received since the latest update, but we couldn't find any. I have brought this into the attention of our engineers and I am expecting a response. The new build passed the comprehensive test phase with a 100% passed score and the developers did not encounter this behavior in Chrome.

Regards

• @jaff The button should open a new tab with the Central username & password sign-in form and I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't work this way.

May I kindly ask you to get in touch with the Technical Support teams for them to have a closer look, as this is rather unusual and we couldn't find a possible root cause at this point. It's best to investigate on the machine directly.

You can get in touch with our engineers by choosing one of the contact methods available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Please do keep us posted with the resolution on this one, as it would be very helpful for the members of this community, in the event they encounter this unexpected behavior as well.

Regards

• Scott

I know I've mentioned this before, but I love how fast Password Manager fills in password information so quickly and efficiently. And now that it remembers me, and also doesn't open another tab, all the better 😊😊

• Well it seemed to work for a few days then went back to having to login every time I opened Firefox

The question I do have is do all the instances of Password manager have to be set the same for it to function in this way?

I guess another way to put it is the setting synced to all the devices or do I have to set them individually?

If they do sync then if one device times out will it time out all the others?

• Hi @BernieK,

This looks like a case for the engineers to investigate.

You can get in touch with our Support Teams by choosing one of the contact methods available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and choose your desired contact channel.

Regards

• Scott
    edited June 2022

@BernieK

I know this is not a solution, but maybe a temporary way of having PM work for you, would be by using Chrome or Brave during the time support is reviewing your case. PM has been running extremely well with Chrome.

I remember about 10 years ago when Bitdefender came out with something that was part of browsing security, and for a while, FF would break the feature sporadically. The Admin at the time joked about it being because of FF "pulse updates" that were causing issues in BD trying to keep up with them. They did get it worked out. I know it’s not an excuse, as other vendors have their password managers working fine with FF, but again, this is a newer product so you’re helping to provide the information support needs, which will help the other fans of FF.

As far as the settings syncing across all devices, I don't think so. For each device you probably need to create the settings, individually, let alone PM Android does not have a "remember me" setting feature. The only thing that is universally synced across all devices is the information PM stores.

Scott

• Thanks @Scott for the suggestion.

One of the best features of Firefox is the ability to isolate tabs using Mult-Account containers. This can isolate websites to open only in separate containers so cookies and data are isolated.

An example is that my banking Websites (and their cookies and data) are completely isolated from other more general sites.

I have been following chrome developments and it seems this is a very desirable feature but because of the way chrome works, it is almost a rewrite to get this functionality.

Firefox has now gone one step further and will isolate cookies to website addresses so not only can third party cookies be blocked but second party cookies as well. This becomes a great leap forward for privacy and insidious tracking and more important fingerprinting.

I changed the settings to a different inactivity time and it now seems to save the master password, but it now NEVER times out.

I can live with it for a while. I will have to do as @Alexandru_BD suggested and raise it with the engineers but I wanted to wait till the next update of Firefox and when I have more time.

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited June 2022

Hi @BernieK,

I've tested the Remember me feature myself with the devs and it works fine on login session, if you logout or click on secure me or inactivity lock-after login is set, you must select remember me again.

The settings are not synchronized. The developers are currently performing further checks and tests to see how and if this process can be improved in the near future.

I changed the settings to a different inactivity time and it now seems to save the master password, but it now NEVER times out. - To summarize, for inactivity time set to Never, there would be no more automatic logout for any inactivity interval. The described behavior is therefore correct.

Regards

• I changed the settings to a different inactivity time and it now seems to save the master password, but it now NEVER times out. - To summarize, for inactivity time set to Never, there would be no more automatic logout for any inactivity interval. The described behavior is therefore correct.

Thanks for the reply @Alexandru_BD .

No the behavior is not correct. It would be correct if i set the timeout 1 hour then I would expect it to time out after 1 hour not "Never" I have never set it ti "Never"

It doesn't seem to make any difference whether "Remember me" is ticked or not. I would expect the remember me flag would be set within the add-on and not as a cookie.

If it is set as a cookie then Firefox will probably delete along with every other cookie.

If I need to make an exception to deleting this cookie I will need to know the the full website address.