Web Protection keeps turning off on Android phones? Here’s what to do

Alexandru_BD
Alexandru_BD admin
edited August 2022 in Mobile Security

This article guides you on how to prevent Bitdefender Mobile Security’s Web Protection feature from constantly being disabled on some Android phones and tablets. Sometimes, even after manually reactivating Web Protection, it turns itself off shortly afterward. When this happens, Bitdefender Mobile Security for Android notifies you that « Web Protection got disabled by another service. Turn it on to get online protection. »

Why does Web Protection keep turning off?

The Web Protection feature in Bitdefender Mobile Security for Android keeps turning off because the device is using Power Saving mode to save battery, which stops the running apps.

A large part of the bonus features of smartphones revolves around battery life and performance optimization. It is for this reason that vendors are packing battery-saving features with each Android release. But some optimization mechanisms are so aggressive that they kill useful background apps when the screen turns off to maximize your smartphone’s battery life.

This impacts most of the apps that run in the background. Most affected are 3rd party alarm clocks, automation apps, and especially apps that need to work even when you are not actively using your smartphone. The latter category also includes Bitdefender’s Web Protection. Web Protection loses the Accessibility permission required to function when the Android system force stops background applications.

This is why an alert has been implemented warning that another service has disabled Web Security and needs to be enabled again.

How do I enable Bitdefender’s Web Protection on Android?

As seen above, the issue is caused by a system optimization mechanism that removes the permission required by Web Protection. Solving it can be different depending on the device. You can either look for battery optimization and exclude (remove) the Bitdefender Mobile Security app, or look for some rules that can be handled at device-level for managing apps or prioritizing their background functionality.

Step 1 – Exclude Bitdefender from Battery saving settings

The exclusions steps may vary depending on the phone/tablet brand. If you can’t find instructions specific to your phone model in the following article, we recommend looking through the device battery or power-saving settings to find a method of excluding the Bitdefender app from being closed off, so you can keep Web Protection enabled at all times and browse safely.

Step 2 – Grant Accessibility permission to the Bitdefender Mobile Security app

After removing Bitdefender from your battery-saving settings, you need to restore the Accessibility permission for Web Protection to work. To reactivate the Accessibility permission:

• Go to Settings ⚙︎ on your Android device. 
  • Open the Accessibility section.
  • Select Bitdefender Mobile Security in the list of downloaded apps.
  • Set the Accessibility permission slider to ON for the Bitdefender Mobile Security app.
  • Tap Allow – if prompted – to confirm the change. The Accessibility service is required for scanning purposes.

Step 3 – Turn back ON the Web Protection feature

Finally, turn back on the Web Protection feature so that the Bitdefender Mobile Security app can scan and block dangerous websites accessed in browsers.

After implementing all of the steps provided in this guide, Web Protection should no longer turn off on your Android device.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

Comments

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clarice @Panser

Hello.

You should contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by chat, telephone or e-mail (scroll down to the bottom of the page):

Regards.

• Hi,

Check the instructions from the link below and let us know if they are useful:

Cheers

• I uninstalled and reinstalled Bitdefender and it finally let me add Bitdefender app in areas accessibility and never sleeping apps and now it says it is protecting web activity (we will see if the weekly report says it is or reports zero activity again).

HOWEVER, despite the fact that I have activated extra privacy for banking pages under web protection, BD does not provide any notice when I purposefully go to the login page of a bank just to test the notification. It doesn't even suggest that I use BD VPN for safety on the website. This makes me wonder if BD would alert if I was going to a malicious site. And, yes, all required notification settings are enabled on my Samsung S21 Ultra to allow Bitdefender to send notifications. I note most people in this forum are more interested in turning off BD notifications, but I am concerned because I am receiving no notifications. Any ideas?

• Hi @Clarice,

Make sure you have enabled the banking related VPN notifications as well, should you wish to be notified whenever you access the page of a bank:

1. Tap More on the bottom navigation bar.

2. Tap ⚙︎ Settings.

3. Turn ON the Extra privacy for banking pages switch in the Web Protection panel.

To ensure complete functionality for Web Protection, Mobile Security needs the following permissions:

• Internet access: used for cloud communication.

• Read phone state and identity: used to detect if the device is connected to the internet and to extract certain device info needed to create a unique ID when communicating with Bitdefender cloud.

• Read and write browser bookmarks: The Web Protection module deletes malicious sites from your browsing history.

• Read log data: Bitdefender Mobile Security detects traces of threat activities from the Android logs.

• Camera: required for Snap photo.

• Storage: used to allow the Malware Scanner to check the SD card.

Regards

• I never encountered this sort of problem for OnePlus 9 Pro or 10 Pro devices of mine

• I had the same problem. So I uninstalled then reinstalled and it appeared in the list.

• I uninstalled Bitdefender, reinstalled it and did all of the steps above, but I still could not exclude Bitdefender from the battery saving settings. "Bitdefender" is not displayed. Internet protection unfortunately continues to turn off almost daily.

• Bonjour

Mon tel IOS 11 est toujours à risque, je ne comprends pas pourquoi car les autres appareils eux n’ont aucun problèmes.

j’ai beau remettre la protection web mais elle se désactive j’ai regardé dans mes paramètres pour la batterie si Bitdefender y été et rien

pourriez-vous m’aider SVP

cordialement

Bree

chaque fois.

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bree

Bonjour.

Contacter le support client de Bitdefender:

https://www.bitdefender.fr/

https://www.bitdefender.fr/consumer/support/

chat: En Francais L-V, de 9h a 17h, English 24/7

tel.: France +33 (9) 70 01 97 15, +33 (0) 800 961 161 (Francais - du lundi au vendredi de 9h a 17h)

tel.: Belgie +32 28 80 71 70 (Nederlands/Francais - du lundi au vendredi de 9h a 17h)

tel.: Canada (+1) 647 955 1197, (+1) 647 847 3405 (English: 24 hour service) (Francais - du lundi au vendredi de 9h a 17h)

Cordialement.

• Hi,

In the event the troubleshooting steps from the above article do not solve the issue or don't apply to your device type, kindly get in touch with our Support Teams for further guidance.

Regards

• I'm having the same problem plus I can't connect with support. Every time I try to connect with support it won't load. WTF.

• Hello @Wilco43,

What exactly is not loading? The chat, the contact channels on the page or the support page itself?

Regards

• I have made all the prescribed adjustments and the problem persists. How do I contact customer support?

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited October 2022

Hi @Swiderman

Support can be reached at bms@bitdefender.com

Or, you can go through these steps to get a hold of Chat, email and phone support (which is not toll-free). Choose, What do you need help with?/How to's and Troubleshooting and go from there to get to the black Contact Support button at the bottom.

Kind regards,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• I followed instructions that I came upon early in the process and they worked. Thanks!

Bedward

• Google Pixel 7 running Android 13. Checked all steps listed above BitDefender Web Defense keeps turning off even though optimization in not taking place.

• Hi @fishfan34,

It looks like this is happening with other apps as well:

• ricardoSS
    ricardoSS Just myself

This may be of help to Web Protection issue. I was getting multiple references per day about web protection off on various devices when it was not. All settings were correct and still the issue!

After many contacts with Bitdefender I eventually received acknowledgement that it was an issue with Bitdefender -

"Thank you for your patience while waiting for my reply

This is a follow-up email regarding the bug report that you have sent us. I'd like to inform you that our development team is still working a fix and it’s taking a bit more than usual. As previously mentioned, the fix will be automatically released through Bitdefender product updates, with no other actions requested from your side.

Please let me know if you would still like to receive updates about this case in the future. In the meantime, I am here to help if you have other cyber-security questions.

Stay safe and have a great day!

Kind Regards,

Andrei M.

Senior Customer Support Engineer"

• Hi @ricardoSS,

Indeed, this behavior is still under investigation. The devices are still protected by the Web Protection module in this scenario. Whenever this happens, there is actually a miscommunication between the device and the servers which leads to the At Risk notification being displayed in your Central account.

We do not have an estimated time for the release of the fix yet. Please keep in mind that all reported bugs require investigation time. Since product updates are usually released once a month, it may take at least 1 month until a fix is implemented in the product - this does not include the debugging period.

Regards

• Tester9898
    Tester9898 d
    edited June 2023
    Anyone can help me?
  • Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod

If nothing in this thread helped, I would suggest you contact support. Follow the prompts from the Protection for Android option, and go from there.

Or, mobile security support can be reached at bms@bitdefender.com

Kind regards,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Unfortunately, the inattention also automatically happens to mec which deactivates app protection, despite having activated automatic start in the background in the app settings for Bitdefender Mobile Security.

Nunzio ·

Bitdefender Plus, Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, CPU Intel Core2 Duo T7500, RAM 4 Gb - Bitdefender Mobile Security

• I fixed it by

Settings ... Apps ... Bitdefender Security ... Battery ... Set Optimised (allows Bitdefender Security to be seen in Background usage limits).

Settings ... Background usage limits ... Sleeping apps/ Deep sleeping apps (remove if in either) Add to Never auto sleeping apps.

Settings ... Apps ... Bitdefender Security ... Battery ... Set Unrestricted.

Once it is done in that order it is never put in Background usage limits ... Sleeping apps/ Deep sleeping apps

• I like to switch my android phone off every night (to help have some proper shut-eye!)

But every morning I have to manually switch on web protection and app anomaly detection, after my phone has restarted. This is annoying.

Is there a solution to this?

• Hello @PB22,

If Web Protection keeps turning off on your Android phone, follow the steps from this article:

The feature keeps turning off because the device is using Power Saving mode to save battery, which stops the running apps.

https://dontkillmyapp.com/samsung

In regard to app anomaly detection, there is a known situation currently being investigated by the app developers. You can find more information here:

Regards,

Alex

• The solution https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/32406/ does not work for samsung.

1. Go to Settings ⚙︎ on your Samsung device and tap Apps.
    2. Select Bitdefender Security in the list of apps and disable Pause app activity if unused.
    3. Go back to Settings ⚙︎ Apps Bitdefender Security → tap Battery, then choose Unrestricted.
    4. Reopen Settings ⚙︎ then tap Battery and device care Battery → Background usage limits → disable the option Put unused apps to sleep.

Bitdefender security can not be seen in Settings ⚙︎ then tap Battery and device care Battery →Background usage limits → disable the option Put unused apps to sleep. When Settings ⚙︎ Apps Bitdefender Security → tap Battery, is set to Unrestricted

• Thanks for your responses.

The issue occurs when I power off (or reset) my phone, something I do everyday. I then have to manually switch on web protection, etc. I don't normally have any issue when battery power is low.

I've a OnePlus phone. Any further advice? Thanks again in advance.

• Can anyone help with this? Or, I guess, a bug with BitDefender software?

• Hello @PB22,

When you restart the phone, Web protection should start automatically, if it already has permissions for that. Check if the app has been granted permissions for the following:

• Internet access: used for cloud communication.
    • Read phone state and identity: used to detect if the device is connected to the internet and to extract certain device info needed to create a unique ID when communicating with Bitdefender cloud.
    • Read and write browser bookmarks: The Web Protection module deletes malicious sites from your browsing history.
    • Read log data: Bitdefender Mobile Security detects traces of threat activities from the Android logs.
    • Camera: required for Snap photo.
    • Storage: used to allow the Malware Scanner to check the SD card.

Once all required permissions are checked, restart the device and see if web protection is enabled. If it doesn't enable after restart, I think more information is required to troubleshoot this, and I would recommend to get in touch with the Support teams for further investigation. There isn't a known bug displaying this behavior, as far as I'm aware. If necessary, you can reach the Bitdefender Support teams using the link below:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Scroll down to state your contact reason, then choose from the available contact channels, chat, phone and email/ticket. Chat would be the fastest way to reach them.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Alex

• Thanks!

The phone has all the permissions in place. I'll contact support and hopefully they'll find out what I'm doing wrong!

• Wojciech_Harasimiuk
    edited March 19

I have the same problem on Samsung Galaxy A53 5G. Even Samsung (remote) technical support was not able to solve the problem. I get the same notification very often.

• Good Day Everyone

I hope this helps as I have posted it in another category. I may have found a way to keep the web protection on (for samsung users) after testing and monitoring it for 4 months now on a Samsung S20, Note 20 and also A51 device. This is also a guidance I got from Bitdefender Support Team. I'll copy the solution for you below. All you have to do when looking up the Don't kill my app website as given by @Alexandru_BD stated in the comments above and then follow the android version your device is running on other than that should work on what I did below:

How I managed to get it running:

Upon checking the Bitdefender Security Application in the battery care and also memory, I noticed 2 of the devices didn't have the Bitdefender app listed in it out of the 3 devices. After testing the device which had the Bitdefender app on the option to exclude it from the battery and memory auto shutdown, I noticed that one device didn't turn off automatically after a week of monitoring whereas the other 2 did shut off after 3 days. So the next course of action for the 2 other Samsung devices was to uninstall it from the google play store as well as to remove it from bitdefender central as well. After that I reinstalled the app and before signing into the app to add the license to it, I went back to the battery and memory option to exclude it and I now have found the bitdefender app to be there and excluded it from both memory and battery auto shutdown and only after that I signed into the application to link the license and after once in the app, the permission needed to be given to the app for the spam monitor, notification monitor, scan etc, I have given and turned on the stated permission. After a few days later I have seen all 3 Samsung devices running as expected without the Bitdefender app being auto shutdown. 

I would like to inform you regarding this issue as well that the Samsung users will have to reinstall the app if they don't see the Bitdefender Application app in the battery and memory exclude option even tho that in other places like apps, storage and permissions the Bitdefender app is already excluded, but if they don't see it in the memory and battery option, the phone will still auto shutdown the application. Only way for the fix is in paragraph 2.

This is how I managed to get not just web protection, but the Scam alert, Chat Protection and the App Anomaly Detection from being auto shut off . But then again, I do hope this does help anyone that still have it auto shutting down. As for other devices, I am not so sure as I haven't tried on other devices but then again if you are still having the same issue, the best people to still ask is the Bitdefender Support Team😊

Best Regards,

~Flanksy~

• Thanks for sharing. I do see Bitdefender and stored in my battery but not in the memory. In your opinion would you suggest going through all of the steps as shared. Since the last update, things seem to be working fine. But what happens when there is the next system update? Galaxy s22 ultra

Thanks

• Hi @WindHorse

In my opinion if you don't see the memory then yes I would advise to go through everything. And regarding updates, so far I have seen no issues with normal android security patches. I haven't tested on major android updates as yet.

Best Regards,

~Flanksy~