Bitdefender Mobile Security: Battery Drain On iOS. Any Fix?

Elwood
Elwood
edited February 2023 in Mobile Security

Hi, I have an iPhone 13 pro and notice very bad battery life with bitdefender using 83% of the battery. Don’t think that was like that previously.

do others have similar experience? Is there anything I can do to reduce battery usage without compromising security?

Answers

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Kindly contact the bitdefender support by visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/ and scroll down to the bottom of the webpage where you can get in touch with support representative either by email, chat or over a call.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• I'm having the same issues. Not just drain, feels a bit hot also. Especially when you turn on 'Web Protection.

• Indeed, I own the iPhone 13 Pro Max and the web protection activation of the Bitdefender leads to huge battery consumption. The idea is that I do not keep it activated by web protection all the time but only when I connect to public Wi-Fi networks.

I do not think that the technical support can in any way solve this problem of battery consumption.

Windows 11 Pro - 11th Gen Intel Core i9-11900KF @3,50 GHz, 128.0 GB RAM

• Hello,

The developers are aware of a possible issue concerning high battery consumption on iOS and they are currently gathering more information.

Regards.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Just for the record I am experiencing the same problem on my Iphone 10 even after installing a new battery.

• Thank you @GuyJV for your input. I have also brought this into our developers' attention and they are currently brainstorming to find the culprit here, as there have been several reports recently, concerning this behavior.

Cheers.

• And I'm having the same problem of high battery drain when running Bitdefender Mobile Security on iPhone 11, running IOS 15.5. The problem occurs when 'Mobile Data' is switched on. If it's switched off, then it prevents me downloading mobile data. This is very poor. I have to choose between either having mobile data on my phone and high battery consumption, or no mobile data. I hope you're investing this urgently. Thank you.

• Drains my battery as well, shame love the app hopefully a update is coming

• Since a couple of weeks I have the same problem of high battery drain when running Bitdefender Mobile Security on iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 8 both running iOS 15.5 and on two iPads mini (5e generation) also both running iOS 15.5. I hope you have a solution soon.

• In addition to my comment this photo:

• I am having the same issue as well, Bitdefender Mobile Security is killing my phone, the batter usage is at 84% and the phone is warm to the touch. Removing app until a fix is advertised and published.

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited June 2022

Hello,

I just got word that the developers have found a potential solution and they are currently testing it. They are planning to deploy the fix with the next update this month. There are no further release details at this stage, but it is a known issue and they've been relentlessly working on a fix since it was discovered.

I am truly sorry for this inconvenience..

Regards

• A wonderful news!

Thank you Alexandru!

Windows 11 Pro - 11th Gen Intel Core i9-11900KF @3,50 GHz, 128.0 GB RAM

• I am having the same issue as well, Bitdefender Mobile Security is killing my batter. usage is at 26% and I saw it after I changed network contractor and swap for esim.

before no problems with Bitdefender

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

@Klaudia

Hello.

You need to wait for the fix to be released.

Also, you could contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by chat, telephone or e-mail:

Regards.

• Same issue for me. Any update as to when the fix is being released?

• Hello,

The developers have found a potential solution which is currently in the testing phase. Deployment is expected via an automated updated by the end of June.

Regards

• Thank you!

• There have been two product updates and this still is not fixed.

• same here! Where’s the fix? We need it ASAP!

• Gjoksi

@DM77 @Josh R

@Alexandru_BD and @Mike_BD Any news on this matter? Thanks.

• @Alexandru_BD and @Mike_BD - following up on your reply please. Thank you!

• Hi,

We expect the fix to be deployed this week, the earliest. As far as I know, the final stages of testing were successfully completed last week. I will post updates as soon as I receive them.

Regards

• Thanks @Alexandru_BD . Will keep an eye on that fix.

• Seems still no update on fixing the battery problem?

• Gjoksi

@EN

@Alexandru_BD Any news on this? Thanks.

• Hi,

No news so far, something is holding them down. Will push for updates.

• Strange, I have iphone 13 pro max and iphone 11. Facing the same problem on 13 pro max while the 11 is working good.

• Gjoksi

@Gahawy

Hello.

You should contact Bitdefender Mobile Support by e-mail:

bms@bitdefender.com

Regards.

• I also have the battery drain problem on my iphone 12 mini. I contacted Bitdefender Mobile support by e-mail regarding the issue. The reply that came back suggested to me that they have never heard of this fault before.

I have removed their product from my phone and will not use it until problem solved.

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited August 2022

Hi @KR1,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Your ticket has been escalated to Tier 3 Technical along with all the reports our Support Teams received so far on this matter. This is a known situation currently under investigation, as stated by the engineers' in their response to you (taken from the open case):

Bitdefender is still investigating this matter, as it is not clear the aspect of the actual battery drainage.

The engineer recommended you to reinstall the Bitdefender Mobile Security application and provide specific details that could help the investigation, as this behavior is not encountered by all users, so we have a number of reports and even though the developers are analyzing them in the same context, there are different specifications such as device model, OS version, device condition, battery health, app version and accessibility settings, that are also necessary in the troubleshooting process.

Kindly reply to our engineers and provide them with the requested information, so they can speed up the process.

Regards

• The battery problem was reported in May-2022. Frustrated that this battery issue is still not solved.

• Gjoksi

@EN

@Alexandru_BD @Mike_BD Any news on this issue? Thanks.

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited August 2022

Hi,

Unfortunately, this is not yet fixed and I owe you an apology. I had hoped for a faster resolution.

As a workaround, you can remove the Accessibility permission for BMS to see if it reduces battery usage. Keep in mind that Web Protection will not work if the Accessibility permission is not granted.

The development teams are pushing for a breakthrough.

• Hi I have an iPhone 12 mini and the amount of battery that mobile security is unmanageable (45% of my battery consumption) , I noticed this problem since few months ago hoping it could be solved with updates, but it didn’t , I can even say that the drainage is worst now than before is it really Bitdefender actively looking for a solution ?

• Gjoksi

@Christc

Hello.

You should contact Bitdefender Mobile Support by e-mail:

bms@bitdefender.com

Regards.

• Hi everyone, we're watching this closely and pushing for a fix with the engineering team.

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB

• We are now 4 months later and still no solution. I have been using bitdefender for over 10 years but I will not renew the subscription this year and try another product.

• iPhone 13 Pro Max user here too, face this problem since May, and I had turn this feature off since then, but now is close to my end off subscription, I really hope team can fix this problem, this is only down side in my first year using your product.

• Same with a new iPhone SE 2nd Gen, so it’s not my battery. I have reported to support. I uninstalled then reinstalled as per their suggestion, but it did not correct battery drain issue. iPad Pro 10.5 is fine. Disappointed as the 5 devices of any platform package was the draw for me. Hope the fix it soon!

• I post here to get notification of this issue.

I have same issue with my iPhone 7 Plus, while iPad Pro 10.5 has no issue.

Hope will get fix soon.

• CDA
    CDA
    edited September 2022

Hi I’ve had the full package for Mac and IOS for a couple of years with no problems. This week - as my iPhone 11 Pro reached three years old the battery is being eaten by the Bitdefender Mobile Security app.

• Hello @CDA,

As I don't have any news on the matter, my recommendation would be to get in touch with the engineers for further investigation and assistance. As several members have reported, there are situations where it works fine on some devices and others where the battery consumption is higher than normal and more information is required from the devices in order to troubleshoot this and gather valuable insight that will help the development teams in their ongoing investigation.

You can reach out to our engineers by choosing one of the contact methods available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Regards

• Follow up for my concern, same issue posted for Apple SE 2nd Gen… I reached out, got a email back saying they are working on. Never asked for anymore info, then an email stating since I hadn’t contacted them further the case was closed. Before deleting app, Bitdefender was using 29-33% even overnight when I was not using phone and no apps (that I could see as I closed all open apps/pages) where open/running. I do not get lots of emails or texts overnight. I cannot imagine why Bitdefender could be working so hard to gobble up battery compared to IPad.

• 4 months and still waiting. I have been patiently following this post. Whilst I like what bitdefender offers on all platforms, given the poor response to a solution on IOS, I am strongly considering researching alternative products.

@Bitdefender please can you provide a resolution date and escalate to a higher priority.

• Hello,

I am sorry to hear this and I truly hope the development teams will deploy a fix soon.

This behavior is already being investigated with the highest priority available. But we need to keep in mind that both the macOS and iOS are much more restrictive than Windows, for example. And this means that limited access is provided to developers such as ourselves, therefore troubleshooting in some cases may take a little bit longer to provide conclusive results and a fix. I am not saying that this justifies the delay entirely, but the reports are very erratic and the common denominator in all cases seems to be Web Protection. Based on the feedback received so far, the developers have learned that if Web Protection is disabled, the battery performance is stabilized, so this is where they need to look.

Regards

• I experience the same issue on Mobile Security (iPhone 13 Pro and 11 + iPad 11 Pro). Battery usage circa 30%. Still not fixed 18.09.2022. Web Protection is on on every device. When can we expect fix? Currently had to uninstall apps on every device due to massive battery drain.

Regards

• Any updates when can we expect hotfix?

Currently I'm unable to use app on iPhone/iPad

• And…. I have 5 licenses. I have been trying their advice to delete app on IPhone SE 2nd Gen, then reinstall a few times to see if it helps. Because I have done this I have “used” all my license. I have 2 devices active only (2 shown onBit Central, I removed iPhone! Shows 2 IOS though being used) Tried to contact support and can’t even get in a queue, just the wheel of death. Just frustrating overall, and a waste of time.

• Just started with Bitdefender and experiencing the same issues on my iPhone and iPad. Wanted to post this update to show it is still a live issue and hope it gets a fix soon. Like the software so far but couldn’t live with this issue long term.