Please stop the POP-UP AD for New Password Manager on Total Security

stoppwdmgrads
stoppwdmgrads ✭✭
edited August 2022 in Password Manager

For your information, Bitdefender is now pushing a new version of password manager (as shown in the OP) that is a separate product from Total Security (may require separate subscription). What included in Total Security is the older Wallet function.

However, I do not need any Password manager. I also already turned off Special offers and Recommendations notification yet almost everyday the pop-up ad appears recently. I will switch back to Kaspersky if Bitdefender cannot stop the pop-up annoyances.

Comments

• I too am having the same issue. Is there a fix?

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello.

You are right, this started to happen with the latest build 26.0.23.80.

This was not a case with the previous build.

Now i get a pop-up notification in the lower right corner of my screen, it shows from time to time, in no particular time intervals.

These are my settings:

1. Settings -> General and disabled "Special offers" and "Recommendation notifications"

2. Protection -> Antivirus -> Settings -> Scan flash drives and selected "Autoscan" (for the "USB Immunizer Recommendation" notification)

3. Privacy -> Safepay -> Settings and disabled "Safepay notifications"

4. Privacy -> Video & Audio Protection -> Settings and disabled "Notify when allowed applications connect to the webcam", "Notify when an application tries to access the microphone" and "Notify when browsers access the microphone"

5. Utilities -> Profiles -> Settings and disabled "Activate profiles automatically" (for the Profile notification)

And that pop-up notification about the latest version of the Password Manager is the only pop-up notification that shows on my screen.

When "Work Profile" or "Game Profile" is enabled/activated, all Bitdefender alerts and pop-ups are disabled, at least they should be disabled, but can't be sure for this pop-up.

Regards.

@Alexandru_BD and @Mike_BD Please, check on this. Thanks.

• They need to fix this ASAP. I could understand getting popups with a free version, but I pay for Total Security to avoid crap like this.

• Gjoksi

Hello again.

There's a conversation going between @Alexandru_BD and the dev team.

As for now it seems that this notification will dissapear after it's being shown three times.

Let's just wait for a response form @Alexandru_BD, who will provide us the correct answer.

Regards.

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited August 2022

Hello,

Yes, this notification was slightly modified in the latest update version 26.0.23.80, as work has been carried out for Password Manager as well. The developers are currently revising this mechanism for further optimization. There is no option nor setting to disable this particular notification completely from the first pop-up, at the moment.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• There is nothing to "further optimize" here - for people who have notifications for offers turned off this should come up zero times not three.

• Having these annoying pop-ups was one of the main reasons for me to switch from McAfee to Bitdefender. I do not mind to pay for good protection but if this continues, I will surely consider moving to Microsoft's Defender. Their score on protection is very good over the last year (source: av-test.org)

• Hello @Malek_Deneith and thank you for joining us.

The Password Manager notification is not related to the offers, it is meant to inform the user of the available services that can be added in the Central account. This means that, disabling the special offers notifications will not affect this particular message. Whenever special offers are turned off, you will no longer receive in-product offers and if the recommendations notifications are disabled as well, any recommendation will no longer be displayed as a pop-up message, but only in the main dashboard of the interface and these cannot be disabled completely. This way, such important notifications are still available, but they are not stealing focus.

@Peter_NL what the antivirus industry shows us is that there are no providers with 0 notifications out there. Sure, there can be various mechanisms involved, but usually when it comes to security notifications or recommendations, these are very well received by the majority of users and they enhance the interaction with the product, helping the end users make the best out of their chosen security solution.

This being said, most of the notifications have a dismissal mechanism and can be disabled.

Regards

• I have no interest in your password manager so please stop these pop ups.

I'm a paid customer so do not expect to see spam like this.

Why would anyone want to consider any of your new products given the lack of testing/ability to disable crap like this.

• FckUrPopUps
    edited August 2022

As per my name, please stop. had 6 times so far and with renewal just weeks away, making me want to run off elsehwere.

I never asked for these popups, i even have them turned off like many others here. When will you all learn that this is NOT ok at all.

• Hi,

Can you tell us how many times have you received this pop-up notification so far and after dismissing it, how much time has passed before it was displayed again?

Cheers

• Probably at least 3 times, though honestly it feels like more. Every time I restart the PC (once every 2 days) it displays.

To echo what others have said, it is bullshit that we even have to report this in a paid antivirus product. I had every extraneous, useless feature like password manager turned off and every notification setting I could find set to eff off, and we're still getting this? When someone mentions talking to the developers about "further optimization", they should optimize their brains into understanding that no means no on the nags for their frivolous sideware. We have other options. Thanks.

• And it's so obvious too!

Who's the lead in this dev team, or the PO or whoever decided that this was a great idea?

Can we have that person in this chat, please.

• "The Password Manager notification is not related to the offers"

When I click the Password Manager, it takes me to a page with a button that literally says: "Buy now at a special prize", so.

• "The Password Manager notification is not related to the offers"

Really?

Because when I click this ad link, camouflaged to an available feature in the settings, I literally get a button saying "Buy now at a special price"

Your statement seems incorrect, right?

• Like others, I'm getting these pop-up messages and don't like them. I understand the desire to inform the customer base of new features or services, but to continue with periodic popups can very aggravating. If you must create a popup, do it only once or at a minimum, include a checkbox that says "never show again". That way, I can be informed, but hounded with messages. Get the user some control.

• I am also getting these popups and they really bother me.

I have been a loyal Bitdefender user for 15 years on 6 devices, but I am considering switching to something else.

When I turn off the "Special offers" and "Recommendation notifications" settings, I shouldn't get these popups any more.

• Just had this popup again. Just an utterly infuriating interruption that I can't switch off. I've used Bitdefender for years, but I'm very probably going to be switching because of this specific issue.

• Adding my voice. I have no interest in a product that attempts to sell me additional features through invasive pop-up ads. I am very close to simply removing BitDefender and switching to a different platform.

• Adding my voice to the thread. I have been using BitDefender for many years across many machines and work in a software industry.

Showing the user a pop-up regarding potentially damaging/dangerous activity is one thing (and even then, the user should be able to opt out at their own risk; we're adults).

Forcing the user to click-through the same pop-up, over and over, purely in an attempt to peddle an add-on product when the user has already opted out of in-app marketing, is entirely unacceptable, and trying to rationalize this for "such important notifications" (lmao) and arguing that "there are no providers with 0 notifications out there" as @Alexandru_BD is attempting to do is a reliable way to drive away long-term customers, not to mention killing any favorable word-of-mouth.

I have gotten at least 4 or 5 pop-ups so far. I am disabling automatic updates (and will do so on every restart) and will now be tracking when and how often I update my local install of BitDefender. I would like an ETA (either number of updates or an approximate date) regarding removal of this and any similar pop-up advertisements. If an estimate can't be provided, I will switch to another product.

• Adding another complaint to this thread.

I paid for this software I do not want ads popping up constantly.

This pops up more than 3 times.

I have reported to support as well - please stop it or you will lose another customer.

• I don't like what's happening with Bitdefender. I get all these annoying pop-ups about the new password manager as well. I have all notifications turned off. I am not interested. They say 'give it a try', but I bet it's very difficult to return to the old manager. I also went to export my wallet, but it says it is not encrypted????????????? I'm sure it used to be encrypted. They seem to be trying to make the old password manager more difficult and less secure.

I am looking for an alternative and moving from Bitdefender. I really hate being manipulated and that's what they are trying to do.

• This does NOT disappear after being seen 3 times, I have been seeing it multiple times a day for several days now.

Either get rid of it or I get rid of you.

• Gjoksi
    edited August 2022

Hello.

I just had a chat with Bitdefender Consumer Support about the Password Manager pop-up notification and here is the answer from Alberto M. (Support Agent):

"This notification was generated by a technical issue that will be fixed by Thursday 25th of August 2022."

Let's just hope on that day the issue with the notification will be really fixed for good.

Regards.

• r
    r
    edited August 2022

I have a 10 PC licence and am experiencing these popups, multiple times, on every desktop!

Having read the thread and seen that this was a deliberate spamming, I'll be switching to a.n.other product when the current licence runs out.

Congrats on pushing paying customers away!

• F_the_password_manager
    edited August 2022

I registered just to reply: F* the password manager. And f* Bitdefender for trying this bull shit. What is this, a Netflix subscription? I've been a loyal customer for years but this is really aggrevating to the point where I'm switching. Congrats on ****** your own company, ******.

• We are adults, not 21 year old Rebeccas who just got off of Instagram.

• Gjoksi

Hello.

Yesterday i got a product update.

According to @Mike_BD, who works for Bitdefender, an emergency fix was deployed for the Password Manager pop-up notification issue, so it seems that the issue should be fixed with that update.

Keep in mind that product updates are rolling out gradually to all customers, and your PC may not have the live build just yet. Once the staged rollout update reaches 100%, it is automatically downloaded and installed.

Regards.

• Hello R, the unwanted notifications were generated by a technical issue on our side and we rushed to address this in a fix, released to the whole user base on August 23rd 2022. We apologize for the inconveniences caused.

Mike

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB

• @Mike_BD

I haven't had a pop-up since the 23rd. Thank you (and whoever else at BD was involved), not only for the relatively quick fix, but also for the admission that this was bugged behavior and not operating as intended--appreciated.

• I've been having the same issue for a while now. Just had an ad for password manager pop up today. Can confim all my promotion settings are set to off. Very intrusive and totally unacceptable for a provider that I've already paid to use their service

• Gjoksi

@Jfluke

Hello.

That's strange. Since August 23rd, the day when the fix was released, i haven't received any pop-up notification about the Password Manager service.

Anyway, you could try the following steps:

-- STEP 1 --

Repair Bitdefender, by following these steps:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/13429/

-- STEP 2 --

If the instructions from Step 1 didn't help, uninstall the Bitdefender program using the Uninstall Tool:

https://www.bitdefender.com/links/uninstall_consumer_paid.html

It will completely remove the program.

Next, reinstall Bitdefender from your Bitdefender Central account and see if the issue has been solved, as reinstalling the program usually solves the issues.

If the instructions from Step 2 didn't help, contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by chat, telephone or e-mail:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Regards.

• Hi,

Make sure to disable the Recommendations notifications as well:

Let us know how it goes and if you are still getting the notification after following Gjoksi's advice.

Regards