Bitdefender takes to much computer resources

ArchyDice
ArchyDice ✭✭
edited August 2022 in Utilities

every time when I turn on the computer, the Bitdefender takes 100% of the CPU resorses specially the 'bdservicehost' file the computer freezes for a while I wait for it, then it takes 100% of the hard drive and again I have to wait until I can use the computer, also suddenly this can happens during normal computer use. I bought your defender because I read fake users wrote on your website, that the program does not interfere with the use and does not slow down the work of the computer. Some programs during installation ask to turn off protection in Bitdefender, I could not find the button Off - On protection.

Comments

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello.

-- STEP 1 --

Uninstall the Bitdefender program using the Uninstall Tool.

For Bitdefender Paid version click here:

For Bitdefender Trial version click here:

It will completely remove the program.

Next, reinstall Bitdefender from your Bitdefender Central account and see if the issue has been resolved, as reinstalling the program usually solves the issues.

-- STEP 2 --

If the instructions from Step 1 didn't help, follow the instructions in this step.

First, take screenshot(s) of the issue

and create a log file on your Windows device using Bitdefender Support Tool, by following these steps:

Next, contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by e-mail:

with short description of the issue.

After that, you will get an automated reply by the Bitdefender Customer Care Team, with your ticket number.

Now, in reply to that automated reply, you can send the screenshot(s) you already took and the log file you already created in the first step.

Since you are all done, just wait for the support engineers to investigate your issue and find a solution to fix the issue.

Remember that the screenshot(s) and the log file will help a lot to the support engineers for better and faster investigation on your issue and finding a solution.

Regards.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. Here is a screenshot from my laptop's task manager, that i've just got:

Bitdefender Total Security 26.0.21.78 on Asus X551CA laptop.

Laptop's purchase date is 2014/04/25.

Laptop specs: Intel Core i3-3217U 1.8GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000, 4GB DDR3, the only change i made: 4 years ago switched from 500GB HDD to 120GB SATA-III SSD

Bitdefender never had any impact on the performance of my laptop.

• Hi,

I confirm as well, never had any issues with high CPU usage nor slowdown and I've been using Bitdefender since 2019 on the same device.

High CPU/RAM usage phenomenon has been reported on this forum previously by several members and in most cases, it was necessary for the technical representatives to perform remote sessions on the affected devices, to find the root cause. It is important to note that, such occurences are not affecting the mass of users and there can be various reasons behind this behavior.

Sometimes, depending on the system configuration and the active applications, the background scan might affect the computer performance. The system configuration and the applications differ from one computer to another, yet the mechanism is the same: there are applications or system processes that continuously access the resources and Bitdefender monitors this activity. What system specifications do you have?

I'm sorry, fake users? There's no such thing, I believe this is a misunderstanding. Have a look at 6,394 reviews returning a trustscore of 4 stars out of 5 (Great) - https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.bitdefender.com

My recommendation would be to get in touch with the engineers for a more in-depth investigation.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Dear Gjoksi, thank you so much for your concern and trying to help. Speaking about Task Manager screenshot It will probably take 5 pages to make full screenshot picture because the Bitdefender files are scattered all over the log. Speaking about reinstallation, I had a similar situation with ESET, I was an ESET customer for 7 years, when I called by phone with a similar problem tech support, the woman answered and advised me to reinstall, as a result, windows broke. Then it turned out that such a woman does not work in their technical assistance and they have no traces of my call. After that I bought a Bitdefender Internet Security and everything was fine for a whole year, why this year I bought again Bitdefender Total and problems began with it. Thanks to Alexandru_BD he is trying to helped me to no avail. I cannot delete and reinstall defender because I did not save activation key. Today is third day when something happened with computer. Briefly here is list of processes which taking resources according to Task Manager: - Service Host: Sys Main - taking biggest part of RAM, System interrupts running all the time takes 10% and up of CPU, bdservicehost jumping all over Task Manager, taking between 53% and & 73% CPU during ESET scanning. I did ESET on line scanning took it more then 4 hours could not found lifethreteaning bugs. Also, now shutting down computer takes forever. To open link on Internet have to click two three times, in general computer behaves like sleepy. Good part, I don't know ESET or something else fixed Mozilla Firefox, before I could not open this browser.

HP Compaq 8100 Elite CMT  Made in 2009  Intel Core i5 650@3.2Ghz, 8GB RAM, HDD replaced with 1Tr, Windows 10 Pro

This font makes me crazy, but cannot fix it.

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited July 2022

You do not need to worry about the activation key. We have administrators (@Alexandru_BD, @Mike_BD) who have access to your central account and if you face any issue regarding the activation after the reinstallation of the bitdefender product you will be helped accordingly.

Kindly perform below steps & see if this helps you in anyway.

1) Uninstall the bitdefender product with add/ remove programs option in windows

2) To remove the remaining files download and run Bitdefender product uninstaller (https://www.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/Bitdefender_2022_Uninstall_Tool.exe)

3) Restart PC in safe mode (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234)

4) As soon as desktop opens, assuming your windows drive is C, open below things in run (windows icon + R) command one by one :

C:\Program Files (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\Program Files (x86) (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\ProgramData (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\Users\{your pc name}\AppData\Local (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

5) Open run command again and run below command one by one :

temp ,delete all the files in the folder

%temp% ,delete all the files in folder

prefetch ,delete all the files in folder

6) Open registry editor through run command (windows icon + R) and then type regedit. Once registry editor opens, click on edit -> find, make sure to tick mark match whole strings only. Type bitdefender in search box and click find next. If any file or folder under name of bitdefender is found, delete it. Continue searching the registry and deleting until the search will report no registry keys found.

7) Restart your PC in general mode by unticking the option that you selected to run the system in safe mode and then click apply.

8) Remove devices from online bitdefender central (https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2795/)

9) Download online installer for Bitdefender Total Security: https://download.bitdefender.com/windows/installer/en-us/bitdefender_tsecurity.exe

Once your respective bitdefender product is installed, a bitdefender dialogue box will open where you will need to login with your registered bitdefender online central details and after a successful login, your product will be synchronized with your online bitdefender central account. Henceforth, your product will get registered & activated with online bitdefender central automatically.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Hi,

Once the subscription is activated, the activation code is no longer required, as device management and installation are achieved using the Central account.

If you’ve already activated a subscription and need to uninstall Bitdefender to fix a glitch, simply follow the uninstall and reinstall steps described by mrmirakhur above. Don’t worry about your subscription, reinstalling Bitdefender on the same device does not count as a separate device and does not affect the validity.

Regards

• Clapton
    Clapton ✭✭✭

quoted from above - "Kindly perform below steps & see if this helps you in anyway."

wow quite the process just to uninstall something....

"plug and play" when installing, but more like "un-pry and Pray" when removing...what a complex process ...

gonna give it a try myself on the weekend and and see if reinstalling Bitdefender fixes the issues im having...fingers crossed,

and good luck to you too Archie, hope you get yours working . seems like a good product maybe just a reinstall will straighten things out for us both.

• Hi @Clapton,

The uninstall process is fairly simple, I think @mrmirakhur provided more technical steps specifically for the scenario encountered by Archie..

What symptoms are you encountering?

The uninstall tools can be found here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/links/uninstall_consumer_paid.html

Regards

• deleted a Bitdefender, the rest of the instructions couldn't do it I'm not that advanced to do it, I'm tired after 10 days fighting with the computer all day long. I wanted to do a restore, the computer worked for a couple of hours and gave out that it could not do it. I don’t want to do a full reset in this case, I will lose all the programs and the files I need that I’m used to. I thought that some program was interfering with the computer and deleted some, but it did not help. What I have now without a Bitdefender, the same problems - the reset of the computer lasts more than 4 minutes, of which 99% of the time it takes to shutting down. (before shutting down took seconds) I understand that the problem is in the Windows settings, but for now I'm thinking of reinstall the Bitdefender again or not. Turning on the computer did not change, this is first loading the CPU by 100% by different processes, then immediately loading the hard drive by 100%, I just have to sit and wait until it working out, in addition, some time this happens while using the computer and again I wait until the computer does its own business. It's a pity to throw away the computer, I love it and if it's fixed, it will still last.

• Dear Eric Clapton thank you for your sympathy and support, I wish you success in your endeavors

• Reinstall Bitdefender - surprise, before in Task Manager I could see 4 Bitdefender processes, now 10 or maybe more.

• Same here 100% disk usage slowing computer to a crawl , it got that bad I've had to uninstall it

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited August 2022

If reinstallation did not solve your query, kindly have a look at below stated links by bitdefender support:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/31856/

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/3766/

If issue persists,

Generate bitdefender support tool logs (https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1733/)

Generate bitdefender connectivity logs (https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/9689/)

Share the logs & your query with bitdefender support team by dropping them an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com

The support team will reply back to your query within next 24-48 hours excluding weekends.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

@ArchyDice @Deezel

Hello.

The issue should be solved with the latest build 26.0.23.80:

"✔️Fixed: Bitdefender reads hard disks at certain intervals. This will also fix any high CPU usage scenarios by Bdservicehost"

NOTE: If your Bitdefender doesn’t have the latest build number, keep in mind that product updates are rolling out gradually to all customers, and your PC may not have the live build just yet.

Regards.

• Hi @Deezel and welcome to the Community!

The latest update 26.0.23.80 should indeed fix this, as confirmed by multiple users that experienced high CPU usage previously. Once updated, kindly confirm if this behavior persists. In the event CPU usage is still high, I would recommend to contact our Support Teams and ask the engineers to have a closer look at the machine.

Regards

• Same story, every time when I turn on computer I have to wait for 6 - 10 minutes until bdservicehost and bitdefender update service finish what they doing, only after that I can use computer

• Do you have a hard disk or SSD on your device? If it's a HDD then this can happen on aging HDDs, I had issues quite similar to this a couple of years ago on my laptop. Now on my PC with a SSD, Bitdefender has no impact at all.

• I use a hard drive with a capacity of 1 Tr a little more than a year old. I can’t use the computer, not because it’s a slow hard drive, but I see processor overload in the task manager. I thought some device drivers were outdated and updated all the drivers, deleted the programs that I don’t use. Run through ESET online scanner, it did not help, I am positive some kind of bug is sitting in the computer, at least by the fact that turning off the computer takes not seconds but several minutes.

Now new problem, Bitdefender Central not recognizing my computer asking for log in after I do log in, again asking for log in, basically looping me on input

• I know people trying to help me to solve the problem, I deeply appreciate for it, but before posting your comments Please read my complaint. Thank you.

• Mike_BD
    Mike_BD admin
    edited August 2022

Hi again @ArchyDice . Man, are you followed by issues 😑...I'm really sorry you're experiencing what you're experiencing, been there myself in the past.

I was debating with @Alexandru_BD on your issues. At this point, connecting with Support and requesting a remote session with the engineering team is the most you can do. However, I suspect that can only partially be a success. Or rather not.

You wrote in previous posts that your computer, even without BD installed, takes a really long time to shutdown.

My bet is that the explanation resides in the configuration of your machine: you're using a 13 year old laptop, which you have progressively upgraded (mobo + cpu + hdd). However, some bottlenecks are probably in effect (i.e. chipset highways// hdd interface//ddram etc), which the modern software architectures are not too "happy" to collaborate with (w10/11, BD, ESET as examples provided by yourself). It's not really someone's "fault" - in terms of processing power, the machine does the job you need. It's probably the quite unique configuration that causes these mishaps. Cause millions of machines (some, certainty, less powerful than yours in terms of raw performance) do not present this kind of behavior.

Can you, please, show the full configuration of your machine, as detailed as possible?

cheers,

Mike

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB