Safe search and failed USB scans.

Hello,

I had noticed that in the free version the safe search with Google search engine and also others does not work.

In addition, USB on-demand scanning also does not work.

Having now the Plus version of Bitdefender, I realized they don't work in the paid version either.

So I ask when this bug will be fixed which seems to be a bit ridiculous that it is still there ... these are basic functions that many AV free competitors give and work perfectly.

If I remember correctly in other posts I was told that they would be resolved in mid-September.

Nunzio ·

Bitdefender Plus, Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, CPU Intel Core2 Duo T7500, RAM 4 Gb - Bitdefender Mobile Security

Comments

• Hello @Nunzio d'Abbruzzo,

We have tested the USB scanning and no issues were found. The engineers confirmed it is generally working as expected on both settings, on-demand and autoscan. With safe search, there is a known issue for which a permanent fix has not been deployed yet.

In the event on-demand scanning is not working for you, my advice would be to ask the engineers for further assistance, on the same ticket you have already opened. Otherwise, we can only make assumptions and there is insufficient information for us to draw a conclusion here.

Cheers!

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Thank you @Alexandru_BD,

for USB scanning I will retest it on my PC and eventually report it to support with details.

Nunzio ·

Bitdefender Plus, Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, CPU Intel Core2 Duo T7500, RAM 4 Gb - Bitdefender Mobile Security

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello.

Tested it on my laptop and i confirm that the USB scan works fine on both settings, on-demand and autoscan.

Regards.

• I did the various tests and here are the results:

If set to automatic, the scan starts:

if, on the other hand, I set the scan on request, I do not see any scan request pop-ups.

If I deactivate the real time protection and set on request the scan starts.

This same strange behavior happened with the free version.

With other free AVs, on-demand scanning has always worked. 😏

Could it be that it's just my PC and my sister's unlucky ??? 😂🤔😫

Well ...😕

Nunzio ·

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod

lol..."and my sister's unlucky" :) :)

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• My PC and my sister's are out of luck 😥... Bitdender AV is very touchy ...😂

Nunzio ·

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited September 2022

I haven't had a chance to test things out on my end, but you are right about that BD can be a bit "touchy" at times. One of the best features they came up with is the repair/reinstall option. That has resolved many an issue for many a member(s) :)

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• I have done the repair / reinstall now but the problem still persists. The immunization asks me for it, but after having immunized the USB drive if I remove it and reinsert it I am not asked if I want to scan it, whether the pendrive is empty and whether it is full ... I do not understand what is there that is not goes ... well ...

Nunzio ·

• However, I remain of the opinion that it is a functioning bug. Probably on newer machines, and / or with some types of USB drivers it doesn't cause problems on others. Here Bitdefender should figure out the cause and resolve if so. This is what I think.

Nunzio ·

• Let's see what the engineers have to say regarding this. Maybe there's a catch that we couldn't identify yet. I encourage you to ask for their opinion, as we could be on to something here.

Cheers

• What do you think @camarie ?

Nunzio ·

• camarie
    camarie Principal Software Developer BD Staff
    edited September 2022

@Nunzio d'Abbruzzo I am not sure about this, but I noticed the QA engineers to create right now and issue and attempt to reproduce. I am not sure how this will evolve at this time, but once it will get on the radar it will be done one. Let's see what the initial re-testing says. Maybe that scan is executed in the background and it will skip custom scans.

• Thanks @camarie 😉😃👍

In the automatic background scan, I would give the user the choice of whether or not to display the new device detection warning pop-up and that an automatic scan will be performed. 😉

Nunzio ·

• Is it possible that you are unable to resolve the problem?

Are the other AVs better? 😕

Come on Bitdefender I trust you ...😀

Nunzio ·

• Hi @Nunzio d'Abbruzzo,

In regards to USB scanning, you will have to report this to the engineers and possibly ask for a remote session on the affected device, because the tests we have conducted so far did not reveal a general issue. So I'm thinking this could be local, or maybe we missed something and if the engineers can check the device and collect more information, this will help them identify the root cause.

My advice would be to provide the technical support teams with detailed screenshots, a summary of the settings and steps that were applied and the end result.

Regards

• It may be that only my PC and my sister's are unlucky and they are with Bitdefender ... with all the other AVs that have this feature there is no problem (tried previously). 🤔

Oh well for now I do not do anything as it is not an indispensable function for protection.

Thanks Alexandru! 😉👍

Nunzio ·