Looking To Apply Best Settings For System Performance

serban83
edited November 2022 in Install & Updates

I have Windows 10 running on a system with `Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz` and 32 GB of DDR4 RAM, so not state of the art, but not obsolete&slow either.

Still, I could feel system performance decreasing after I installed BitDefender.

This got me wondering if I could somehow tune the BD settings, disable some of the optional features, maybe the performance issues at least decrease.

So question: can a PC to get infected (by virus, malware, ransomware, worm, trojan, what-ever) in other ways than the users opening a file (executable, document, photo, etc...) ?

Where I'm going with: I was thinking about disabling everything except the "Antivirus" feature in the "Protection" section of BitDefender Settings; Ransomware Remediation, Advanced Thread Defense, Vulnerability, Online Thread Prevention.

So, continuing the question: considering that the system is clean at the moment of BD installation, if the antivirus itself is active (and thus not letting me open any file without checking it), is there any way for anything to penetrate the system ?

Am I getting something wrong ? Is there a justification for keeping any of those other features running ?

Thank you.

Comments

• Guilhermesene
    Guilhermesene Defender of the month ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

Hi @serban83,

I have a configuration very similar to yours, but in my case it is as follows:

- i7 9th generation

- 32 GB of RAM

- SSD 240 GB

Take a look at this thread, maybe it can help you with performance. Believe me, after doing this, it has VERY improved BD performance on my machine.

NOTE: It is not advisable for you to disable the main AV protection components. Give it time, let Bitdefender through its Photon technology adapt to your system, over time it will have little/no impact on device performance.

Take care,

Guilherme

• Hi @serban83,

After installing a security software, the computer will slightly slow down, which to a certain degree is normal. If you notice a significant slowdown after installing your Bitdefender protection, this easy to follow, step-by-step guide will help to speed up your system:

For the best available protection, it is recommended to keep all modules enabled, starting with the firewall.

The firewall is your gate keeper and will ensure your devices are safe. The security modules are designed in a specific way, so that IF a defense fails, another one takes its place.

For example, the firewall prevents the infection from entering the PC from the network, if the firewall fails, Advanced Threat Defense takes over and blocks dubious processes. If this module misses something, then the Antivirus will find any modification of files during scanning.

So it's a complex fortress of defenses that work together and the security modules should only be disabled temporarily for troubleshooting purposes, after which they should be re-enabled to ensure complete protection.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user