Remove Anti Spam Toolbar in Thunderbird

Hi - this has been asked before but nobody has posted a working solution. I'm using Thunderbird 102.3.1. I have disabled the Bitdefender anti spam toolbar in settings, but the toolbar returns when I restart. Please help! It's a big, annoying toolbar and I don't need it. Thanks.

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Generate bitdefender support tool logs (https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1733/)

Generate bitdefender connectivity logs (https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/9689/)

Share the logs & your query with bitdefender support team by dropping them an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com

The support team will reply back to your query within next 24-48 hours excluding weekends.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Thanks! I actually did contact support and sent them the logs. They told me to use the uninstall tool and it failed and told me to contact support for help removing the rest of the program. Live chat has no agents available and the phone number doesn't work for me, so I have emailed and am waiting for a reply.

• Flexx

Kindly perform below steps & see if this helps you in anyway.

1) Uninstall the bitdefender product with add/ remove programs option in windows

2) To remove the remaining files download and run Bitdefender product uninstaller (https://www.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/Bitdefender_2022_Uninstall_Tool.exe)

3) Restart PC in safe mode (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234)

4) As soon as desktop opens, assuming your windows drive is C, open below things in run (windows icon + R) command one by one :

C:\Program Files (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\Program Files (x86) (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\ProgramData (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\Users\{your pc name}\AppData\Local (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

5) Open run command again and run below command one by one :

temp ,delete all the files in the folder

%temp% ,delete all the files in folder

prefetch ,delete all the files in folder

6) Open registry editor through run command (windows icon + R) and then type regedit. Once registry editor opens, click on edit -> find, make sure to tick mark match whole strings only. Type bitdefender in search box and click find next. If any file or folder under name of bitdefender is found, delete it. Continue searching the registry and deleting until the search will report no registry keys found.

7) Restart your PC in general mode by unticking the option that you selected to run the system in safe mode and then click apply.

8) Remove devices from online bitdefender central (https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2795/)

9) Download online installer for your respective bitdefender product from below stated links

Bitdefender Antivirus Plus: https://download.bitdefender.com/windows/installer/en-us/bitdefender_antivirus.exe

Bitdefender Internet Security: https://download.bitdefender.com/windows/installer/en-us/bitdefender_isecurity.exe

Bitdefender Total Security: https://download.bitdefender.com/windows/installer/en-us/bitdefender_tsecurity.exe

Once your respective bitdefender product is installed, a bitdefender dialogue box will open where you will need to login with your registered bitdefender online central details and after a successful login, your product will be synchronized with your online bitdefender central account. Henceforth, your product will get registered & activated with online bitdefender central automatically.

Regards

• This doesn't work. Bitdefender support told me it's a known issue with no fix, and they are working on it. If it's not fixed by the time it's time to renew, I will look for another anti-virus solution.

• Flexx

Then in that case you will have to keep in touch with the support on the ticket.

Additionally, @Alexandru_BD or @Mike_BD can check on the status of the issue from the developers.

Regards

• Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't have any news here. The remediation process is in its debugging stage.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Having the same problem, how do I watch (follow) for a solution notification?

• For me the "stubborn" toolbar in Thunderbird is also a very annoying problem, it keeps coming back no matter what I do, I hope that a fix will be in place soon. The re-installation of Bitdefender described in the thread above did not make any difference. It is an embarrassment when users are apparently not supposed to decide which parts of a software they're willing to use

• This is a very serious privacy issue and must to be escalated to management.

• Not sure why this is so complicated for BitDefender to resolve, here is how you fix this privacy issue in Thunderbird if you have DISABLED anti-spam in your configuration.

1. Close Thunderbird
    2. Open file explorer and navigate to: %APPDATA%/Thunderbird/Profiles/<your profile>/extensions/
    3. Delete the "bdThunderbirdxx@bitdefender.com.xpi
    4. Open Thunderbird, the extension is no longer present.

I encourage you to check for the extension periodically, they have been known to put them back in without the users knowledge during an upgrade/update.

• See my last post, I restarted Thunderbird a second time and the Anti-Spam toolbar is back. This is getting even more concerning.

• tihabil
    tihabil Sistem Administrator
    edited February 2023

Hi everybodi,

This is a working solution, not a clean one. Until Bitdefender provide us a profesion solution I will use this:

0 -Tb must be closed

1 -go to the extension folder "...\profile\extension"

2 -copy the name of extension file including its filename extension "bdThunderbird78@bitdefender.com.xpi" and then delete the extension file.

3 -create a folder or a text file wit no information and rename it with the name of extension file you have. For me, now the file name is "bdThunderbird78@bitdefender.com.xpi"

4 -right-click on it and change NTFS permission there will be 4 groups of users. You must deny permissions to 2 of them: -"Authenticades Users", "Administrators" . DO NOT TOUCH "SYSTEM" permissiones.

After this last step, no BD Anti-Spam Toolbar wil be installed/reinstalled...until Bitdefender wil be upgraded and probably change the name of extension. If this will happend must repet these 4 steps using the new name of extension-file.

Salutari

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited February 2023

Hi @tihabil,

Thank you for sharing this workaround with the community, it is much appreciated!

Regards

• Foxfan100
    Foxfan100
    edited March 2023

Thanks @tihabil for that.

I see that there is also a folder in Program Files\Bitdefender Security for the bdthunderbird78 xpi, which, is of course undeletable.

Quite frankly, the clutter from Bit Defender Total Security is a disincentive to me, to buy it again. When I turn OFF the email Antispam option, nothing from Bitdefender should then affect the Thunderbird email client. As a note, when I have tried turning this BD feature on, it does nothing at all, least of all worthwhile.

Long before I started using (and paying for) Bitdefender I had the Premium version of Malwarebytes. I am frankly tired of having to uninstall BD to do any major updates on this machine e.g. BIOS, which it may cause to break, and then being forced to uninstall Malwarebytes before putting BD back.

This Tbird/BD toolbar isn't consistent, either. We have another laptop machine running TB with the current BD TS, and, looking at it, I see that the BD toolbar is enabled in TB, but doesn't appear. Why?

• Just moved to Bitdefender and running on a trial. I have purchased a licence but think I can get that refunded.

The Thunderbird toolbar is very annoying, particularly as the anti-spam function only works on POP3 accounts and we run on IMAP.

I followed @tihabil instructions on my computer and it seems to have worked.

I repeated the procedure on my wife's computer but BD created a file with the same name as the dummy text file in the profile/extensions folder. I have hidden the toolbar using the TB toolbar customisation and that seems to have worked but I really would like to get rid of the extension.

Both machines running:

Windows 11 Home v. 22H2 build 22621.1413

TB 102.9.0

• how do I watch (follow) for a solution notification?

• @tempsdropz you can bookmark this thread to receive updates on the topic.

• tempsdropz
    edited April 2023

I see that there is also a folder in Program Files\Bitdefender Security for the bdthunderbird78 xpi, which, is of course undeletable.

edit: spam links removed.

• tihabil

Hi everybodi,

Im just a user and have a working solution, not a clean one. Until Bitdefender provide us a professional solution i will use this because it's working:

-Tb must be closed

-go to the extension folder "...\profile\extension"

-copy the name of extension file including its filename extension "bdThunderbird78@bitdefender.com.xpi" and then delete the extension file.

-create a folder or a text file wit no information and rename it with the name of extension file you have. For me, now the file name is "bdThunderbird78@bitdefender.com.xpi"

-right-click on it and change NTFS permission there will be 4 groups of users. You must deny permissions to 2 of them: -"Authenticades Users", "Administrators" . DO NOT TOUCH "SYSTEM" permissiones.

After this last step, no BD Anti-Spam Toolbar wil be installed/reinstalled...until Bitdefender wil be upgraded and probably change the name of extension. If this will happend must repet these 4 steps using the new name of extension-file.

Salutari

• tihabil

You can delete any file/folder on Windows following this steps:

-Take ownership

-grant inheritance permission to the same (new owner) user

-delete the folder/file

• From support on May 5, "...the situation is caused by an issue that has already been acknowledged by our development team. We are currently working on a fix that will be done by means of an automatic update and won't require any additional action on your end."

From support on May 16, "We do not have an estimated time for the release of the fix yet, but we will contact you as soon as it's implemented by an automatic update of Bitdefender. Please keep in mind that all reported bugs require investigation time. Since product updates are usually released once a month it may take at least 1 month until a fix is implemented in the product - this does not include the debugging period."

From what I can see in this thread the issue appears to have been in play for at a minimum six months. The lack of a development timeline suggests that this is not a priority.

As a paying customer this is unacceptable. I will not be kludging files and NTFS permissions to get rid of a product feature that is poorly implemented, poorly supported, and invasive, and that I do not need. My spam filtering is all handled server-side and it really works quite well.

There appear to be plenty of alternatives on the AV Comparatives list. When my subscription anniversary arrives I will be switching to something else.

• @ssmitt - nicely worded! Agree 100%.

• Hi Everybody,

It's rediculous this problem still has not been solved professionally by Bitdefender themselves.

I had this problem lastt year on a computer with Windows 11 en Thunderbird. I used tihabil's solution and it worked.

Yesterday (!! a year later) I updated my Bitdefender on my other (W10) computer and what do you think happened? In TB that stupid bar turns up again. Even though I switched off the extention IN Bitdefender itself AND within TB beforehand. Of course again tihabil's solution worked again, but it's been 3 or 4 years that this problem first turned up in this forum.

I'm an IT person and brought like 150 people to use Bitdefender becaus on the whole I think it a good antivirus program (and I'm not even a Bitdefender sales partner). A lot of which I helped get rid of that stupid bar lately when they didn't want it either as it is pretty intrusive. Thanks to an ordinary user (thanks tahibil!!) and no thanks to Bitdefender.

In the future I might advise my customers get a different Antivirus programm after their subscriptions ends. Because I DO take my customers seriously.

• Hi,

Sorry, I said "it's been 3 or 4 years that this problem first turned up in this forum""

Of course I meant a year.

But still .....

• @Tourmalin, this has been in play for a full year? Seriously?

Here's what this suggests to me.

The company is perfectly willing to let paying customers debug incompetent developers' half-baked shiny objects. Which leads to the question, what ELSE is busted under the hood that I can't actually see?

I bought this at Newegg. I will be posting an appropriate review. I also bought it on the strength of a review in PC Magazine. I will be writing to the author.

• Hi All,

Although the Bitdefender Antispam Toolbar cannot be uninstalled or permanently disabled from the Thunderbird Add-ons module, it seems there is an easy fix. It worked on my Windows 10 system with latest Thunderbird.

Simply click to display the Thunderbird "View | Toolbars" sub-menu.

You should find "Bitdefender Antispam toolbar" in that menu. Click to deactivate it.

It should do the trick. Even after rebooting and restarting Thunderbird.

HTH.

• Hi,

This should actually work @Robert2,

Thank you for sharing this workaround with the community!

• Thanks tihabil. You're un-clean solution works for me, even after several restarts and Bitdefender updates.

• @Robert2: Well done. It works. Thanks

• Question. Does unchecking this actually deactivate the anti-spam function, or does it merely hide the toolbar?

• It will only hide the toolbar. To de-activate the function you would need to disable the extension, however, the Bitdefender Anti-spam only works with POP3 accounts.

• Workaround worked for me, too! Thanks @Robert2 for sharing and your effort, I really appreciate it.

However, I take this as a temporary measure and I comment to underline the general tone of the discussion so far. As this is just a solution to get rid of the clunky looks* I still strongly insist on a permanent, clean solution to deinstall the toolbar altogether (or even better to have an option to opt-out of installing in the first place).

*Sidenote: As Thunderbird released their Supernova Update with a general facelift, the so-called antispam toolbar feels even more out-of-place than before

• @bekado, I completely agree this is temporary. It in no way resolves the ticket I submitted. With the toolbar hidden I disabled the anti-spam tool in the add-on manager and restarted Thunderbird. And the add-on manager shows it as re-enabled. So this is still churning away in the background with the toolbar hidden.

From support on June 5: "...our development team is still working a fix and it’s taking a bit more than usual. As previously mentioned, the fix will be automatically released through Bitdefender product updates, with no other actions requested from your side."

The add-on manager shows the anti-spam component as updated on July 15 and the problem is still present.

• David_Oaken
    edited July 2023

This is still an issue I suspect BitDefender just want access to private emails so are leaving this very well designed "bug" in place.

My subscription is coming to an end in the next month, i will not be renewing due to this exact bug.

The fix is as simple as adding a check box, connected to a boolean in the bitdefender window which decides if the software installs the add on within Thunderbird or not. The fix it literally about 3 lines of code, if that. If the devs cant figure that much out, they shouldn't be writing internet security software.

• I also want to remove the "Bitdefender Antispam Toolbar". Only hiding is possible.

Bitdefender Antivirus Plus. Build 27.0.16.86 from August 2023. The Problem still remains.

Hoping for deletion on the part of Bitdefender. The toolbar is unnecessary in Thunderbird ...

• To all:

From support on August 3.

"I would like to give you a heads up regarding your bug report and inform you that the fix is still being developed but I have no release date yet. I want to apologize once more for the long waiting time and for any inconvenience that this might have caused."

BitDefender DOES apparently care whether I dump the subscription as a free extension was offered. 

If you are a paying customer don't put up with workarounds. File a ticket and don't let up.

• tihabil

Hi Foxfan, everybody

Each and every file of Windows can be deleted but it's not recommended. That's why I recommend to touch files of Thunderbird profile. Before you touch, can easily do a backup. If something goes wrong, you can restore the files/folders at a previous state.

• tihabil

Each and every file of Windows can be deleted but it's not recommended. That's why I recommend to touch files of Thunderbird profile. Before you touch, can easily do a backup. If something goes wrong, you can restore the files/folders at a previous state.

• tihabil

Hi David_Oaken,

May be a Product policy to install all modules in order to provide a better security, nevertheless I agree with you: -the user must have the right to decide which feature of product to use and when, depending on his necessity.

• tihabil
    edited August 2023

Hi all,

After many tests, in order to disable the anti-spam toolbar in Thunderbird i saw only one method its work.

1 -delete the file extension of Anti-spam in the Thunderbird's profile's extension's folder.

2 -create a folder with the same name "bdThunderbird78@bitdefender.com.xpi".

2 -deny permissions at Modify level, for Users, Authenticated users, and Administrators.

This way teh Anti-spam Module of Bitdefender will remain disabled, no tollbar extension will be loaded (activated) in Thunderbird.

These tree operations can be done with no privilege user account but must be done for each user profile/account of the same OS you want to disable this feature.

To revert this operation must use an administrative privilege user account, in order to take ownership of "bdThunderbird78@bitdefender.com.xpi" folder and then delete it

If for you it's enough not to see the toolbar in Thunderbird, simply hide it in Thunderbird Toolbar , but this way, the Bitdefender Anti-spam module will be active, the toolbar extension loaded and active in your Thunderbird (but without sowing it).

• As a paying customer deactivating the anti-spam feature is precisely the point of my support ticket.

• A year on, and this still isn't sorted.

I have just updated to the new Thunderbird 115, with all the extra work redoing my css files, and I find that this ridiculous toolbar is still being listed in my add-ons. I don't want it, it would do nothing for me anyway, and quite honestly I am tired of having 3rd party non-optional add-ons being rammed into my system.

WHEN will Bitdefender do something about this? I like Bitdefender reasonably enough, but I am sick of this and the lack of resolution or effort to do so by BD is causing me to think again about buying yet another year's worth of sub.

• The only reason I am putting up with it is support gave me a six month extension on the subscription. Had to jump through canned debugging hoops and submit via email so I could keep pinging the ticket.

Rather a lot of fuss and bother bother for what appears to have been a known issue. For well over a year.

If it's still a problem when the extension runs out I will be shopping alternatives. I'm sure there is SOMETHING listed at AV-Comparatives that will work.

I bought Bitdefender based on a review at PC Magazine. I have already emailed the author.

• Old situation on my system (W10 pro 22H2, TB 115.4.1, Bitdefender AV Plus 27.0.23.112 from today):

Only hiding of the "Bitdefender Antispam Toolbar" is possible. As a paying customer I'am horrified ...

• Response from support, as of October 24. Six months past the ticket submission and apparently at least a year since the issue was identified. Make of it what you will:

Thank you for your follow-up e-mail.

As mentioned previously on the ticket, a fix for this Bitdefender behavior is still undergoing development. We do not have an estimated time for the release of the fix yet, but we will contact you as soon as it's implemented by an automatic update of Bitdefender.

Please keep in mind that all reported bugs require investigation time. Since product updates are usually released once a month it may take at least 1 month until a fix is implemented in the product - this does not include the debugging period.

Also, once the fix is up we will extend the validity of your subscription by the amount of time it took to resolve the issue and to compensate for the inconvenience.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Rest assured that we will contact you again as soon as the fix is released.

• As noted above that merely hides it. Anti-spam extension is still active.