What would cause BD to interrupt networking hourly?

Issue: internet goes offline every hour at 17 minutes past the hour for approx 1 min. Then would be fine for another hour.

We finally tracked down the culprit. I had installed BD total Security on my wife's computer about the time this issue started, once we took her computer offline the issue went away. What would cause this and what can I do fix it.

Note: I used powershell running ping to determine the timing the network would go down.

Answers

• Hello @dragonbird,

Based on your description of the situation encountered, I would recommend contacting the Technical Support Teams, as more information might be required to troubleshoot this. You can get in touch with our engineers by choosing one of the contact methods available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Stay safe.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• I have the same issue... internet goes down for 56 seconds every hour.

I have narrowed this down to Bitdefender Antivirus Plus.

I even had my Frontier internet router replaced thinking it was the problem... nope.

I fun a continuous ping to my routers LAN IP, routers WAN IP, and a couple of websites.

Every hour, the website pings fail for 56 seconds. router IP's are fine.

I can replicate this issue simply by booting up a computer that has BD installed.

Immediately after logging in, internet goes down for 56 seconds.

I tested leaving the computer with BD shutdown, and the internet never goes down.

Also, during the outage, the ethernet stats on the computer which BD is installed spikes.

So... what is BD doing at boot up and every hour to cause this?

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

@BooBooBoo

Hello.

First, take screenshot(s) of the issue, create a log file on your Windows device using Bitdefender Support Tool, by following these steps:

and

create a connectivity log file, by following these steps:

Next, contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by e-mail here (scroll down to the bottom of the page):

with short description of the issue.

After that, you will get an automated reply by the Bitdefender Customer Care Team, with your ticket number.

Now, in reply to that automated reply, you can send the screenshot(s) you already took and the log files you already created in the first step.

Since you are all done, just wait for the support engineers to investigate your issue and find a solution to fix the issue.

Remember that the screenshot(s) and the log files will help a lot to the support engineers for better and faster investigation on your issue and finding a solution.

Regards.

• BooBooBoo
    edited May 2022

I solved the hourly internet outage issue by uninstalling BD.

By the way, I did try re-installing BD.

The problem came back. Internet outage for my entire house because it seems to kill the WAN port on my router.

Again, this happens for 56 seconds when I boot up the computer that has BD installed, and every hour thereafter.

Uninstalled BD again... problem gone.

• Ok....I found something today that I think answers this question.

I just installed BD Total Security and I found that it was hitting my DNS Server (PiHole) every hour and kicking me off....took a few days to identify the root cause. Turns out that I was running Spybot Search and Destroy in the past, and it updated my hosts file with around 15K 127.0.0.1 addresses to protect me from going to the 'bad' sites. I'm not sure what BD is doing with all of those entries, but after I removed those entries from my hosts file, BD is no longer spamming my network with 15k DNS queries every hour....

• Same error I am facing, anyone can help please..

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

@sanjaypasari

Hello.

First, take screenshot(s) of the issue,

create a log file on your Windows device using Bitdefender Support Tool, by following these steps:

and

create a connectivity log file, by following these steps:

Next, contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by e-mail:

with short description of the issue.

After that, you will get an automated reply by the Bitdefender Customer Care Team, with your ticket number.

Now, in reply to that automated reply, you can send the screenshot(s) you already took and the log files you already created in the first step.

Since you are all done, just wait for the support engineers to investigate your issue and find a solution to fix the issue.

Remember that the screenshot(s) and the log files will help a lot to the support engineers for better and faster investigation on your issue and finding a solution.

Regards.

• ljlongwing - I think your on to something! Once I deleted BD from my wife's laptop the problem went away. I had been setting up another laptop for a friend, I installed BD, no issues for days. Then we installed Spybot S&D, and the network would go down for 30 secs every 24hrs. I tried deleting the Hosts file entries like you did, but that didn't seem to help. But the issue went away when I deleted Spybot S&D, (and cleaned the Hosts file). I do have an older computer the has Spybot S&D but not DB, no issues. Definitely something going on between the 2 programs.

• Hello @BooBooBoo @ljlongwing @sanjaypasari,

Following your reports, the developers have performed various tests today and they could partially reproduce this behaviour. It has been acknowledged that, the internet connection can be lost in conjunction with the scan hosts file feature under specific conditions, such as a big hosts file. As the hosts query is carried out on a hourly basis, this explains the frequency of network interruptions.

The developers are already working on a fix and until then, the workaround would be to temporarily disable the Scan hosts file option from the vulnerability settings:

I advise you to get in touch with our Support engineers, as they are collecting the relevant reports so they can notify all affected users once the fix is deployed. Your findings may also help them in their investigation. Thus kindly contact our teams using the link below:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

I would recommend the email contact channel and make sure to include the link to this thread as well, for reference.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation throughout this process.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user